Dead leaf bottoms

Lumeymorris

The lake beds that I fish are either a clay type bottom or a silty bottom wether they are the same I don't know but anyway. I normal use a standard bottom bait rig with soft flurocarbon instead of braid which usually does me good but I went fishing the other day and couldn't help but notice all the dead leaves and I've never really fished this time of year so with the leaves making the ground that bit softer do I have to change anything I.e longer rigs, lighter weights to help tackle the leaves?

Worth noting that at this time of year a serious leaf fall and subsequent decomposing leaves on the bottom will drastically affect the oxygen levels in the water. If you have a lake where there is a serious leaf fall in one area, or if the wind is blowing the leaves into a bay, or to one end for example, then fishing away from this area may help.

There are always exceptions of course, if there are fish showing in leafy areas obviously don't ignore them, and if the whole lake bed is covered in leaves then it won't help, but if there are no signs and the bed under your favourite tree is thick with leaves, I might consider trying somewhere else. :)

Pretty much the only place I fish a pop-up is over dead leaves, and I won't add a stringer that may drag it down into the leaf muck, although a PVA bag with added foam or even dog biscuits mixed in with the chops and pellets.

I want my pop-up to be above the leaves, but not so high that it is mid depth or a zig rig, about 5cms ish I guess is my usual. I do test my pop-ups so that I can see how it sits on the lakebed.

This time of year I like to protect the hook point , the lake I was fishing the other day was covered in leaves & hooking one as the rig hit the water was a possibility plus the leaves held mid water .

Just ordered some pva nuggets for just this.

I bet my lake had more leaves than yours...

:wink:

Not over thinking at all Phil as it can happen & does.

I fish really weedy lakes & will happily cast out a bare rig apart from this time of year .

If your lake is covered in leaves there's good chance your hook one. I pulled in a rig the other day with a leaf on the hook caught it on the way in .... better than on the way out .

Not over thinking at all Phil as it can happen & does.

I fish really weedy lakes & will happily cast out a bare rig apart from this time of year .

If your lake is covered in leaves there's good chance your hook one. I pulled in a rig the other day with a leaf on the hook caught it on the way in .... better than on the way out .

I must be lucky then

I'd rather not take the chance.

With the number of leaves on my water at the moment there is a better than 50/50 chance that I might (might) land on one on the way in.

it's not just the hook landing on them either.... the length for your rig too .

I was taking leaves down with the rig the other day as the the lead drops & the rig sinks behind it any leaves caught on the rig will travel along towards your hook as the lead sinks .

I also use pva foam all year, regardless of weed levels, leaves, whatever; even if I'm fishing on hard gravel. It helps separate the hook bait from the lead on the cast, improves presentation for any rigs with a degree of stiffness, just helps in every department IMO. I will adjust the way I attach the foam in cold water (I've seen the foam stay on all night before!).

Once it's on the deck I actually agree with Phil - Dead leaves are so forgiving as a substrate, same as silt; we worry about presentation but the carp will find a way if they're feeding. I'd happily fish a bottom bait over leaves if forced to (normally use pop ups anyway though).

Useless fact time: the foam stuff is actually not pva, it's corn starch based, just called pva so anglers get the point of what it is.