Korda Distance Sticks

The problem with putting the line in the clip before you reel in , is that's not actually where you Want to hit the clip that's where you want the lead to end up . So you have to allow for this before you clip back up for the retrieve, not to much a problem with shallow water but deeper & it becomes more guess work . If you were to just keep clipping up after every cast your will end up quite a bit short of your spot in no time .

I allow for it :wink:

Easy enough when you keep your rods back and tips not overhanging the waters edge, as I stand close to the edge when casting.

I also have a line marker on the line, so it is easy enough to be sure where I am in relation with the rods on the rests.

I tend to reel in every day to check my bait, I need to check I still have some on the hair, so I reel in all three rods at the same time.

After getting the distance right in the first place, and clipped up and cast, I mark the line, power gum or insulting tape :wink::lol:

I check where the line marker is on the rod in relation to rings, buzzer etc.

When I retrieve at the next reel in time, it is no problem to actually put line in the clip before reeling in. I then have no need for distance sticks.

This is what happened to me:

Cast to clip and marked up line with elastic. Fishing a far margin spot.

Caught a fish. It got dark.

Ireperably tangled the line.

How would you get back on the spot??

With sticks, very very easily. With marked line, impossible.

This is what happened to me:

Cast to clip and marked up line with elastic. Fishing a far margin spot.

Caught a fish. It got dark.

Ireperably tangled the line.

How would you get back on the spot??

With sticks, very very easily. With marked line, impossible.

Let's see, arrived at Earith at 12ish, at night, in the dark, walked line along bank to distance of island feature, cast to edge of island, caught fish within 10minutes. Walked line along bank, had another fish just before first light.

Let's see, arrived at Earith at 12ish, at night, in the dark, walked line along bank to distance of island feature, cast to edge of island, caught fish within 10minutes. Walked line along bank, had another fish just before first light.

That assumes you know how far to walk it out.

Fact is, knowing where to walk it out to, and knowing how many wraps, is exactly the same, with the exception that with sticks you can clip up as far as you like without leaving the swim and without needing available bank to walk it to. In your scenario you're walking down the bank with line out on the ground between you and your rods, however far that may be, in the dark. My sticks cost less than a pot of pop ups, and remove all risk of issue.

How about you simply mark your line when you get it right first time?

Then knowing where the line marker is you cast out to another area, and clip up again, then retrieve and cast to your spot?

You avoid line twist that is created by winding round sticks, and you also get your rod out to the spot faster, even though you have cast, retrieved and recast, compared to putting round a set of overpriced banksticks, then lifting and untwisting from them as you reel in.

Seriously for years I have got to my features without banksticks, by various means; walking them out, clipping up and creeping up on emergent features, or by allowing line out before reeling in and then clipping up, hitting a marker float etc

Just seems like a faff to me especially if you've had a fish so didn't clip back up before you reeled in .

Having to reel in your other rods just to walk out one of them out, so not to leave them unattended could cost you fish .

Sticks for me :wink:

I use both methods, pole elastic as a marker and sticks to double check. If you're fishing for a couple of days its always worth checking your marker elastic against the sticks. Imagine over the course of a few days the marker knot gets moved by weed, rod rings etc. You could be fishing 6ft past your spot. At least if you know its 18 wraps to said spot and your knots at 18.5 you can slide it back

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

How about you simply mark your line when you get it right first time?

Then knowing where the line marker is you cast out to another area, and clip up again, then retrieve and cast to your spot?

You avoid line twist that is created by winding round sticks, and you also get your rod out to the spot faster, even though you have cast, retrieved and recast, compared to putting round a set of overpriced banksticks, then lifting and untwisting from them as you reel in.

Seriously for years I have got to my features without banksticks, by various means; walking them out, clipping up and creeping up on emergent features, or by allowing line out before reeling in and then clipping up, hitting a marker float etc

couple of reasons why I wouldn't do what you mention tbh Nick .

Casting out to another part of the lake ? this will more than likely mean getting weeded up & wasting time clearing it all off ,

Aiming at the marker float ? .... once you get over a certain distance you may think you have hit the marker float but the reality could be your short .

& sticks don't take long at all once you get your own technique sorted & I don't suffer from line twist as the bail arm is off. Still seems more faffing about to get it right especially after a fish & getting back on that spot quickly is vital as it could mean another take .

I do some of the things you mention in your last paragraph but only to find the spot for the first time then it's clipped up & wraps counted . :wink: .

It's a daft argument this. Not using sticks is simply stubbornly refusing to use a method that is more recent in its creation. The only requirement here is that you can get your line into the clip where it needs to be, and for me, can still do the same if you loose your line marker, ie, have to cut 20 yards off the mainline, etc. You can either walk it up the bank, or you can wrap it around something. That is as far as it goes.

Sticks are better cause they don't mean you have your line sprawled out across the bank, abrasion anyone?, they can be kept close to your swim so you're on your rods, and the distances are exactly repeatable over and over again.

Walking it out is better cause you don't have to use a technique that you first saw on thinking tackle, and you don't need to spend about a tenner on a couple of extra sticks. There are no other benefits above sticks.

Marking the line as well means you can get back into the clip before reeling in if you haven't had a run, so don't need the sticks every time. i like the Nash spot on for this. Little blob on the line, job done.

Don't get me wrong, I have used sticks, and still occasionally do so, especially in tight swims with no bank access, but it is very rare.

My point is this, as. Yonny has pointed out, sticks are not worth £60 odd. I always carry a spare set of bank-sticks, so I can use them if required.

I can still cast at, and gauge how far past, a marker float. It is actually rare for me to clip up even when aiming for a marker, although islands I nearly always do clip and mark. Marking the line is easy, so I know I am in the same spot

When I walk along the bank, I keep the line off damaging ground. Overhanging branch, or gatepost I can clip my lead around, I then walk my line out with the rod, so the line does not touch the ground at all. If it is a grass bank, I will walk the line out leaving the rod, bail arm open, taking the lead and bait out, then retrieving.

My point is this, as. Yonny has pointed out, sticks are not worth £60 odd. I always carry a spare set of bank-sticks, so I can use them if required.

Cannot disagree with you there!

That said, a Jag bank stick sets you back nearly £30 a piece, when a stick from the hedge would do the same job. All about what you want and how deep your pockets are. Don't think I'd buy the Korda ones. Only cause I'd rather an extra bag of bait and the sticks I've got.