Cheeky Heater?

So at the risk of dredging up old topics of conversation... saw this today...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-portable-gas-camping-heater-p142458

(Portable gas heater in case you don't want to click - £22.50) Well, I quite fancy me some of that but I know that some people absolutely swear they will never get in a tent with something that's burning fuel. I understand why, but a few reviews on this site suggesting it ought to be used in conjunction with a portable carbon monoxide detector and then you're pretty safe? What's the consensus?

Also you think it will take propane canisters? (Supposedly butane wont work at very low temps although I don't know what 'low' means in this context?)

I've got one. Don't use it very often, but I love it when I do.

I make sure that I turn it off when I'm sleeping, but during the day it's fantastic for keeping the chill off of the air.

No idea of it will work with propane, as I've never tried. It's great for warming the bivvy up a bit during the day though.

I have seen a few of the gas ones on the bank, i think if you are sensible with it, don't close the doors or fall asleep with it on, you should be ok.

The best idea i have seen in use, is a silent generator and one of those halogen heaters, although, your idea of silent might be completely different to the bloke a few pegs up from the genny.  

Pack stuff under your bedchair, it's stops cold air circulation, use an army blanket on top of your groundsheet, it stops the cold coming through. Get a twinned skin bivvy, the gap in between the two layers provides a thermal breathable barrier. Get a thermal all in one, all the supermarkets do them. Thermal layers, a decent bag, a decent bedchair cover, hats, gloves, thermal boots, water bottle, masturbate, don't buy one of those heaters, there dangerous and not cost efficient.

Edited by Gazlaaar

Pack stuff under your bedchair, it's stops cold air circulation, use an army blanket on top of your groundsheet, it stops the cold coming through. Get a twinned skin bivvy, the gap in between the two layers provides a thermal breathable barrier. Get a thermal all in one, all the supermarkets do them. Thermal layers, a decent bag, a decent bedchair cover, hats, gloves, thermal boots, water bottle, masturbate, don't buy one of those heaters, there dangerous and not cost efficient.

nearly spat my teeth out when i came to the end of that post Gaz :lol: :lol:

If I'd have gotten one, I 100% would not have used it at night. I'm already paranoid about using my stove too near the door of my bivvy so I definitely wouldn't have that running while asleep. I think whoever said it's probably OK used sensibly, but why risk it. I agree. I'm glad I brought it up though it's here for others to see :)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Yeah, thought I'd slip it in, see if anyone noticed lol

I don't think that that is mast....... :o

Strange you should say that, one of the gentlemen who works in the tackle shops nearest to Nazeing was caught in the act.

The nickname of the tackle shop now rhymes with slang for to throw, Johnson...

Cover the joints between your groundsheet and bivvy upper, I use my rod and bivvy bags. The rucksack also goes on the join to keep out draughts.

A spare unhooking mat goes under the bedchair, I often take some carpet for the floor. I put some Lino in front of the door for my boots and trainers, and sometimes a car footmat.

I got a section of foam packing with my bedchair when I bought it, it lives between the sleeping bag and the mattress.

Keep warm inside, hot food and drinks.

Hat, in my case, I actually wear a hat in winter, either a woollen Chicago Bears hat, or a Thinsulate hat.

Clothing, I still live in combat trousers, but go for a pair of Hoggs Strathmore Shooting trousers over them during the day.

Top half is t-shirt, fleece, zip-up fleece, and if it's really cold, lined combat jacket, although I am planning on getting the matching Strathmore jacket to the trousers.

As you can guess, I don't do bivvy heaters!

• 2 months later...

Hi mate I have one ise it all the time make sure you got ventilation I feel asleep and left it one an I'm still here lol the problem wen they spit is cheap gas mate if it does just put new bottle in bk and give in 10 mins an put it bk in I used it all night used 4 bottles didn't turn it off only to put new bottle in sitting in the bivvy in shorts this time off year lol

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Hi mate I have one ise it all the time make sure you got ventilation I feel asleep and left it one an I'm still here lol the problem wen they spit is cheap gas mate if it does just put new bottle in bk and give in 10 mins an put it bk in I used it all night used 4 bottles didn't turn it off only to put new bottle in sitting in the bivvy in shorts this time off year lol

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

I would much rather be pretty sure I will wake up alive rather than take the risk of killing myself due to carbon monoxide. You wouldn't even know you were dying, you'd never wake up.

I think the fatal level

It's not cheap gas, it is carbon monoxide produced by a lack of oxygen when a fuel burns, so it could be because you have cut off the air supply to your bivvy by shutting the door.

I have that identical heater and find it useful but not essential. I also have a quality bedchair, 5 season, fleece lined bag and a Trakker peachskin  over blanket.

There have been times when I've opted to light the heater an hour or so before I intend to retire. Then get sorted for the night session, into the bivvy, switch off the heater and take full advantage of a warm space, aided and abetted by the items mentioned previously.

Mostly I don't, though.

Ian

Its RUBBISH!!!!! Dont do it!!!! When it gets really cold the cannister gets too cold and it just spits mate, had one, binned it

Serious question Phil.....

have you ever bought anything that has been good?

It's only that almost every time somebody posts up that they are thinking of buying something, you declare it's "rubbish"

:wink:  :confused:  :wink:  :confused: