Whats the point in a bait runner reel?

If you actually read it properly it states i see people with them letting fish run for the sake of it which i don't agree with, then it states i believe it leads to fish loses etc. Some people have shown me they can be used responsibly but i still don't see it, if you like using them over front drag then great. If someone who does let it run for fun reads it, it may make them think about fish and snags.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

On that I could not agree with you more! Anyone who stands next to a running rod and doesn't pick it up as soon as possible shouldn't be fishing. That's the angler, not the equipment though.

Is it classed as bad angling to have the clutch loose when Carp fishing??? I never have it tight( if not on snags) but wouldn't say its super loose either. In all the years I'v carp fished I'v only ever lost one fish to snags and that was because it kitted on a leadclip into some reeds to my left without a beep If i had a boat I'd feed it but that wasn't allowed and has it was during my chemo I wasn't chancing a swim to free it, so cut the line and listened to it thrash about all night till morning when I'm sure ( and still hope ) it dragged the line free and out to open water or dumped the hook.

On Barnwell I fished up to the reeds with running rigs and untight clutch and all the takes came away to open water ,my mate fished the same spots with leadclips and all his takes tried to bury into them :idea:  :idea:  :?:  :?:

Just for the record:

I have some small shimano baitrunners for small water, stalking and river work, Emblem pig pits with daiwa baitrunner conversion caps and some crosscast big pits with front QD (quick drag) clutches.

All of them are set to the tension that the angling situation dictates. This may be virtually free-spool if fishing very tight to the near margin to locked up solid for snag and heavy weed fishing. It all depends on the situation...

Reading this makes me chuckle, when i say I've seen people have it on freespool just to make alarm scream, i didn't mention scenarios did i? I don't see the point in it, letting fish run for personal satisfaction. People get defensive even though its not aimed at them. These so called anglers who let them run become lazy and its dangerous. Imagine it (I've seen it) guy wanders round, i say where you fishing, he says other side, its ok its on freespool and I've loads of line!! Wtf!!! Yes a baitrunner can be adjusted to be the same drag as fighting drag but then it negates the point of it being a bait runner

Phil

Sorry if this teaches you to such eggs but

Bait runners have two clutches,

One for the playing fish

One for that first initial take

They have a front and rear drag,

Others

The front drag does both jobs, ie

Playing fish and that first initial take.

Bait runners use the handle to change from the initial take clutch to the playing fish clutch, each one can have it's own setting.

Others, you adjust the front drag

The only difference between the two is one uses the handle to switch over the other is switched over by you, using the front drag.

As I've said, both are exactly the same in principle but they both use a different mechanism to achieve the same goal.

Anglers can let a fish run on both bait runners and other reels, they still both have to be activated by the angler.

Some people prefer the handle method, some people prefer the front drag method, it's the same. Both sets of anglers can be irresponsible, and it's the angler that is the problem not the reel.

Edited by Gazlaaar

No mate - a bait runner isn't set for fighting drag. That's done on the drag system. There is no difference between a bait runner and a front drag / rear drag reel. Other than the instant switch on/off of the free spool. With no bait runner function, you do it manually.

I meant it can be set the the same as fighting drag, knob on end can be done up tight. Aren't there 2 knobs on em? One for freespool other for fighting drag?

As per gaz's post above.

With a 'standard reel' you set the free spool 'how much resistance is on the fish during the take, with the front drag. When you get a take, you have to manually tighten it to the desired resistance you want to play the fish on.

With a dedicated bait runner, you set that playing resistance and it doesn't change - unless you want to during the fight. This is done with the front or rear kno b, depending on model. You then set the resistance you desire on the take by the rear drag, a completely different setting to the 'playing drag' of the reel. There is then a switch that engages the 'bite resistance' or 'free spool' as its more commonly known.

I see this thread morphing into something else, so, say you get a take, as i pick up rod i naturally put one finger on spool then tighten up drag( not from freespool before anyone starts) this takes all of a second, my question is this, a quick turn of drag or turn handle? Which is quicker?? I assume if reel is spinning we all tighten drag up

They were designed so a live baitfish could be hooked through the back and allowed to swim freely, hence the name, bait runner (which Shimano patented), and a lot were destined for saltwater fishing.  My 6500 would be a great reel for sharks, and that whole series featured waterproof drag so they could be rinsed.  I don't think carp anglers were even considered at first, they just picked it up, but I could be wrong.  In any case I think they're great.

I get it, they reinvented the wheel, so its a lever instead of a quarter turn or just so i can pull line off with some effort.

phil, can i ask just two questions? (three with this one before some smart ar se says sommat)

1) do you have bait runners?

2) have you ever used a bait runner reel?

phil, can i ask just two questions? (three with this one before some smart ar se says sommat)

1) do you have bait runners?

2) have you ever used a bait runner reel?

Yes of a sort, QD reels, yes i did own proper bait runners, didnt see the point as i never used the function, why??

I always took Free Spooling as a figure of speech, I've never actually free spooled as such, there's always a certain amount of tension but it's still looser than the front playing drag

See this all stems from the numpties I've seen with em on complete free spool, thats it, no hidden subject or agenda, i realise the way i asked was a bit of a broad way but some people take things way too seriously

I set mine so the fish can take line under pressure, never freespooling though

its just that to me its seems like your statements are coming from the angle of someone who has never used the bait runner as it should be used.

i set my bait runner to suit the situation, relatively tight where there could be a danger of snags and just so i can feed line off in open water, the front clutch/ fighting drag i set so i have to pull reasonably hard to give line and unless i have a really hard fighting fish on thats how it stays.

as i reach down for the rod on a take i extend my index finger and just touch the runner lever and that knocks it off before i have even gripped the rod.

the above suits my style of fishing so well that i have not needed to alter either clutch more than a dozen times in the last two years and i have also NEVER used it freespool style and also there is no need to have a quick crank of the handle.

as you say horses for courses, but the trick is being able to ride that horse :wink: