A Bit Of Interactive Bank Chat

Gazlaaar

6 minutes ago, greekskii said:

personally I would use more bait to keep the fish feeding. 20 boilies could be gone in seconds with a big head of bream. even 200 would be. just my opinion of course but I think it would at least swing in your favour to bait up with considerably more. 

I was baiting under a tree on a river a few years back. due to the bream and chub I was putting in 20-25kg of maize in 3 times a week. I'd shimmy up the tree and have a look once finished and that maize looked like barely anything on the bottom. The bream and chub would clear most of it in minutes and the 24mm boilies would be moved around all over the place by the small chub trying to eat them.

Okay mate I was a bit worried about putting too many in because their shelf life's and takes ages to break down, I put one in the margin a while back and it was still there good week or so after. I've got a kilo with me so I've just put half of it out and will put the other half out when I leave and will be back fishing tomorrow after work. I could always pop down before work and put some more in? 

12 minutes ago, greekskii said:

dont need to go crazy, just enough to get them coming back regularly. Shelflifes do take a while to break down of course but if eaten then not a problem.

Cheers mate won't bother with putting more in tomorrow then 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Got a social this Friday and Saturday, followed by a week of fishing depending on the spawning situation. Got a few lakes to chose from so hopefully they won't all be at it... If they are, one of the lakes contains cats , and they are well on the munch right now, so I will target them instead..... Not ideal, but at least it's a back up plan to fill the week..... Glad I got a load of chores done to free up next week, can't wait :)

Blanked the social, only one lad caught , from 25 anglers. The fish were not playing ball, not surprising with everyone turning up at once and a bit of noise going on.... However, these things aren't really about catching. Met some good lads from up and down the country....... It was held at Frisby Lakes near Melton Mobray, 30 plus acres with plenty of places for the fish to hide in , due to the island structure in the middle. Chris, the lake manager , has introduced 300 stockies to the estimated 300 odd fish already present, which go to 30plus...... Plenty of other species present including some sizeable pike..... If you are prepared for a bit of a barrow run, there are some beautiful swims around the back of the lake, lillies, finger bays, snags, it screams carp..... Set between two villages, both a couple of miles away, the place has a nice safe feel about it. If I lived local, I would definitely revisit, just to rectify the blank lol.........

Gonna give my local waters a go this week...... got a carp cradle to Christen 😊

All set for tomorrow, had a quick reccy tonight. The weed is up and the thick willow blossom is covering most of the lake. Think it's put a few off as there was nobody fishing.... Spotted a few fish in front of a swim that is fishable close in up to about 10 yards so if nobody is fishing when I arrive I think I'll chuck the weed rake out and make the clear area larger, enough to squeeze a couple of locked up rods on. Bait it, get the swim set up and have a wander while it settles down for a couple of hours.... It's a small lake of about 5 acres and the fish move around a bit, I've got 48hrs planned so don't mind making a bit of noise to start with... Hope it pays off  😊

30 minutes ago, B.C. said:

All set for tomorrow, had a quick reccy tonight. The weed is up and the thick willow blossom is covering most of the lake. Think it's put a few off as there was nobody fishing.... Spotted a few fish in front of a swim that is fishable close in up to about 10 yards so if nobody is fishing when I arrive I think I'll chuck the weed rake out and make the clear area larger, enough to squeeze a couple of locked up rods on. Bait it, get the swim set up and have a wander while it settles down for a couple of hours.... It's a small lake of about 5 acres and the fish move around a bit, I've got 48hrs planned so don't mind making a bit of noise to start with... Hope it pays off  😊

Good luck pal hope you have a good un. 😀

Went yesterday only had a 4hr window between 10-2 lovely sunny breezy day but couldn’t tempt a bite on the black and whites 🙄

tried a red and a yellow for the last hr but the fish looked more interested in sunbathing. Better than being in work tho ! 

Zigs are fast turning into my favourite method 😎

3 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

First choice for me on most occasions mate! 

Once you get your head round it and use them with confidence they really are a killer method,mate. Your session at merrington made me have a major rethink about zigs 😳😎

On 14/05/2018 at 07:01, B.C. said:

It was held at Frisby Lakes near Melton Mobray

I lived in Frisby for 2 years and walked round the main lake almost every night looking for the bigger fish that were said to be in there. Never saw anything bigger than a mid 20 common (the one with the little orange birth mark that's still in there I believe). There was a stocking a few years ago but they seemed to go nowhere for some reason, not good growers. The lake itself looks perfect for carp, it has everything, but for some reason it's never produced anything of note.

Get your net dried out properly @B.C. as they had confirmed KHV either last year or the year before mate.

Just had a mad fight on a 12ft zig .... went from thinking this is a big carp to "what the hell  have I hooked here " fairly sharpish . But it didn't feel like a cat fish either . Anyway slowly worked it towards me after it powerd off many times gets it close & the first thing that breaks the surface Is this nest of branches .

7 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

Once you get your head round it and use them with confidence they really are a killer method,mate. Your session at merrington made me have a major rethink about zigs 😳😎

I remember that social very well. Nige was into his fourth or fifth fish before I'd go my bivvy up!

Ian

10 minutes ago, cyborx said:

cats!! a different branch of angling :lol:

Tell me about it! I spent a week at Napoleon Lakes in France last year and got smashed up by huge catfish all week as did my son who was in the next swim. Hooks snapped at the bend, entire hooklinks taken....you get the picture. Not impressed!

Ian

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:33, yonny said:

I lived in Frisby for 2 years and walked round the main lake almost every night looking for the bigger fish that were said to be in there. Never saw anything bigger than a mid 20 common (the one with the little orange birth mark that's still in there I believe). There was a stocking a few years ago but they seemed to go nowhere for some reason, not good growers. The lake itself looks perfect for carp, it has everything, but for some reason it's never produced anything of note.

Get your net dried out properly @B.C. as they had confirmed KHV either last year or the year before mate.

Yeah, I was told this after the event...... All dried out properly and sprayed with steri 7, but cheers for the heads up.