A Bit Of Interactive Bank Chat

Gazlaaar

Advice needed, fishing tomorrow, pressure 1017, temp 9 degrees, wind 10mph, sunshine all day, what rigs? Top middle or bottom?

Me personally, I would be staying as mobile as possible, I would pay attention to the areas that get the most of that sunshine, but also have a good look at the windward end if its a fresh wind, going off the weather I would say the bottom third would be a starting point but keep an eye for signs of surface movement has the upper layers warm a little from the sunshine.

As for rigs, I only have 2 for bottom fishing at the minute a simple snowman and a low pop up rig, use would depend on the bottom i am fishing over especially if the lake is heavily tree lined there will be a bit of debris on the bottom now.  Never ignore the old zigs (although im still to master the art) if things aren't panning out the way you planned.

Mmm why do duck slap the water with wings and kick up spray ?

Also dose this spook the carp ?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I reckon it does if you hook the little tufted blighter!

4am Friday morning a tuftie decided it liked my bait, hooked squarely in the bottom lip, and needed forceps to remove it. At least it was the 'short' cast rod, not one of the long distance ones.

Returned the duck on the other side of the causeway, heard it flying away in a hurry, at least they were a bit more circumspect over the bait for the rest of the session.

I reckon it does if you hook the little tufted blighter!

4am Friday morning a tuftie decided it liked my bait, hooked squarely in the bottom lip, and needed forceps to remove it. At least it was the 'short' cast rod, not one of the long distance ones.

Returned the duck on the other side of the causeway, heard it flying away in a hurry, at least they were a bit more circumspect over the bait for the rest of the session.

Well can honestly say it dose :( .

Was getting liners n drops . (Need to rethink rigs )

They are little pains flapping n fight turned the fish of completely.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Its a shame that this thread suddenly stopped ,

I enjoyed the posts of getting ready to go fishing getting all the gear ready and the excitement of it all , there was no arguments about anything through the whole of it unlike most , and lots of unanswered questions like , did gaz and his mate catch anything ? are they still fishing it ? what did phil do with that goose ? did the helicopter chod feeder rig work ?

dave 

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished getting the rods out, got one on two grains of pop up maize and the other 2 on pineapple pop ups. I used the marker rod to find a gravel patch that's 9ft deep, clipped up and used some bank sticks to wrap up my 3 rods and the spomb rod. I baited the area with 25 spombs of birdseed and maize (arms feel like their gonna drop off lol) and put my three rods on the baited area. I'll be baiting up again when it's starting to get dark, probably put another 10 spombs out as well. I've never used wrapping sticks/clipping up before so it's probably gonna take a few sessions to get used to it lol. 

1 hour ago, cloud9 said:

go for it jh , good luck mate and keep us informed on how its going 

dave 

Nothing yet mate, I've rebaited the rods and put about 20 spombs of bait out so I'll leave them out for the night now unless I catch. I hit the bivvy with the spomb as well and coated it in particles lol. Sat in the bivvy having a brew and a bacon sandwich now, happy days lol 

I've been plagued by roach and bream all night and setting up next to a field full of lambs was a mistake, probably had 2-3 hours sleep all together lol. Do you think I put too much bait out? It's a 80 acre resivour so I thought it might help bring them closer to my baits. I'm here for most of today so I won't put any more bait out just fish over the same patch :)

23 hours ago, carpmachine said:

I have fished quite a few reservoirs, there are many in this area, some for tench andothers for carp, some contain many fish, and some only few, the one thing common to all, the fish feed in travelling herds at different times of the day, you have a big bed down, sit on it at least untill you get some indication of fish, if you are fishing boilie over particle, try piling in the boilies whole, it sounds like your particle is being scoffed by silvers.

17 hours ago, Big Common said:

If it's the first time on this spot, then putting a bit out isn't a bad idea, but fishing over it will be a bit hit and miss. Hopefully by the time you return a few fish would have visited. I'd treat it like a bait up session with the chance of a fish. When you visit next time, you can draw a lead over the area and gauge whether or not they have been in and cleaned the area. If they have, then there's a very good chance that they will be revisitng the spot.

The number of spombs always sounds a lot, but they are only half full. If its a mini spomb then 40 of those is about 1.5kg roughly....... over three rods, it's not a huge amount. If I fish a spot that I know is fairly cl;ean and I know that they are visiting, then maybe 3 or 4 over each hookbait to start with. And top up after some sort of indication that fish have been in... A take, lots of liners, fish showing without a take...... There's a fine line between putting enough out to get their attention and giving them too much so that they ignore your hook bait or are preoccupied on the loose feed.

The roach and bream you mentioned will no doubt be helping to clean the area up a bit. If you persist with this area, I have no doubt that the carp will be visiting at some point. I did hear someone mention recently that big shoals of bream, and the carp are less likely to feed until they move one. Whereas tench and roach, they will feed along side happily. I think the bream, by their sheer numbers can dominate a spot until it's cleaned off.

BTW, I'd rather the sheep keep me awake, that loads of drinking idiots with flash lights and noise.

No carp for me in the end. My watercraft isn't the best if I'm honest, I spent most of my time watching my baited spot and there was fish showing...but it was little silvers jumping with the odd bigger splash, but it could of been bream? I dunno, but there wasn't any fizzing/bubbles. With the amount of spombs I was putting out, I was using a smallish fox spomb but I can't remember what size it actually is lol.  I spoke to some of the other guys fishing it and they were saying its a waste of time with fishing with particles because of the number of bream/silvers in there. Boilie hook baits with a few scattered around it work best apparently, so time to get a new gun and roll some baits? Lol :D

5 hours ago, Big Common said:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=2910

Cheap bait gun JH..... probably won't last a lifetime, but these at Lidl were brought to my attention..... :) You'd be pushed to find cheaper with an Ali cartridge.

I had something very similar from eBay and it broke after putting a few kilos through it mate, I might pick one up later though because at that price you can't go wrong lol. I'm thinking of getting a gardener deluxe xt sausage gun, are these any better than the cheap ones? 

4 hours ago, Big Common said:

Yes they are very good. The collars are metal so you can't really break the threads, no matter how stiff your mix is. I would definitely buy a quality gun instead of the cheaper one. Had A gardner delux gun for 15yrs and still going strong. Plus they hold more paste, about half a kg at a time. Posted the other one up as a cheap option incase cash was tight. But you would be better off long term with the Gardner gun. Also, Gardner do spares if you ever needed a part. You should get a set of purpose cut nozzles aswell with it.

Yeah I won't bother with the cheap one then mate. Now it's deciding to get the gun with a rolling table or the gun on it's own, already got a 16mm one but tempted to get a 20mm lol