Rod Shots

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

15535059809522107065137355626965.thumb.jpg.16d432c2f5f9f38c0e9c50acae30d65f.jpg

Guess who left there rear buzzer bar at home :)

46 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I saw a fish jump so have moved into this corner, I've seen another jump near my left hand rod since now all we need a screamer 

Edit one right over the bait now come on you carps 

15535153700346627571213270829404.jpg

Hope you get 1 elmo..👍👍🐟🐟

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've seen another jump near my left hand rod.......

one right over the bait now come on you carps .........

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

got 45 mins left before needing to be packed up really school run beckons

Mate....... I hate that..... when you're on them and its time to go. Excruciating.

Still dont know if they are for me tbh, if they have the energy to jump out they will need a feed sooner or later just hope I am there when they do :)

i just want a fish before moving over to st Ives really just a timely welcome confidence boost i thought this one may be fairly ok to get a run, but I may have to go to a proper runs water next to check my rigs work :)

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Still dont know if they are for me tbh, if they have the energy to jump out they will need a feed sooner or later just hope I am there when they do :)

i just want a fish before moving over to st Ives really just a timely welcome confidence boost i thought this one may be fairly ok to get a run, but I may have to go to a proper runs water next to check my rigs work :)

Never had any luck with Zigs although I haven't beaten them to death in an attempt, I have no confidance when there on so I stopped using em...

There's only one way to get confident with zigs lads and that's to catch carp on them. You can't do that if you don't use them. Believe me when I say you can be writing off the majority of the day at certain times of the year by not using them. It's up to you guys but imo it's madness to disregard them because you used them without success on one or two sessions. If we did that with bottom bait tactics we'd all have given up fishing a long time ago.

You only need one session where you work out where in the water column the carp are and have it off to realise how effective they can be. If the carp are up in the water and you're fishing on the deck you don't stand a chance, particularly in spring when temps are so important to them, it's like fishing with one arm tied behind your back. You need to present your hookbait where the carp are, simple fact lads.

4 hours ago, yonny said:

There's only one way to get confident with zigs lads and that's to catch carp on them. You can't do that if you don't use them. Believe me when I say you can be writing off the majority of the day at certain times of the year by not using them. It's up to you guys but imo it's madness to disregard them because you used them without success on one or two sessions. If we did that with bottom bait tactics we'd all have given up fishing a long time ago.

You only need one session where you work out where in the water column the carp are and have it off to realise how effective they can be. If the carp are up in the water and you're fishing on the deck you don't stand a chance, particularly in spring when temps are so important to them, it's like fishing with one arm tied behind your back. You need to present your hookbait where the carp are, simple fact lads.

Was chatting to a mate on my old syndicate the other day. He reckons there have been 60 plus carp caught since mid Feb, all but one as far as he's aware were on zigs.  That shows you just what you can be missing out on if you don't use them. 

5 hours ago, yonny said:

This sums up my zig fishing , for years I would chuck one out to no evail . It was only when I started fishing all 3 on zigs that the red letter day happend, you really do have to stick with it & keep busy trying to work out what depth there at . When you get it right your confidence will go through the roof & you won't look back . But like yonny mentioned if you never stick at it or work at it that red letter day will never come using them .

8 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

This sums up my zig fishing , for years I would chuck one out to no evail . 

Likewise mate, for a long time I'd have just one rod on a zig as an afterthought. It took that leap of faith for me to hit the red too. Haven't looked back since.

Some of the younger generation have cracked it. I've seen kids absolutely destroying lakes with no bait whatsoever. They can't afford 10 kg of boilies so rock up with 3 bits of black foam and empty the place. Us older lads can learn a lot from those kids, amazing zig skills.

35 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Was chatting to a mate on my old syndicate the other day. He reckons there have been 60 plus carp caught since mid Feb, all but one as far as he's aware were on zigs.  That shows you just what you can be missing out on if you don't use them. 

Absolutely bud. Tells you all you need to know that does.

11 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I may concoct a soupy soup mix so at least I am using bait :)

That tactic can work wonders on overstocked commercials but I wouldn't go near it on the proper waters like St Ives buddy.

A little bit of black foam is all you need. Other colours can score more highly on a given day but the bigguns always come to black in my experience.

Good luck mate.

4 hours ago, yonny said:

A little bit of black foam is all you need. Other colours can score more highly on a given day but the bigguns always come to black in my experience.

Would you leave em out through the night or go to bottom baits?

This weekend in particular. Supposed to be around 3-5 degrees at night

12 hours ago, commonly said:

Would you leave em out through the night or go to bottom baits?

Depends entirely on conditions, time of year, sightings etc buddy. At 3-5 degrees overnight I'd probably leave at least one zig out but shorten them. At the height of spring when it's warmer I'd leave them out right up in the water all night.

Zigs are just as effective at night as they are in the day imo. In fact most of my bigger zig fish have come at night.

4 hours ago, smufter said:

Minus 3 when I arrived at the lake yesterday morning. And guess who chose the only swim that gets no sun at all at this time of the year. Blooming freezing. And blanked again.

It's about time they put another fish in this lake........😣

Misty lake.jpg

Never mind Rob that’s fishing for you as long you enjoy yourself that’s all that matters, also beats being at work.