Just one hook bait/feed?

Andy Hull

Hi all,

Just a quick couple of questions to see what you guys would use?

1 - If you could only use one hook bait from now on which would it be Type/Flavour and why?

2 - On going to a new venue, which baits/feed would you start with and have most confidence with and why?

Thanks,

Andy

Two very different questions.

- If I could only use one hooker for the rest of my days it'd probably be corn - because I've never known a carp water where it doesn't work brilliantly when used appropriately.

- On a new water, I'd always start with boilie, simply because they work almost anywhere and at any time of the year, they're good for the carp, easy to use in numerous baiting situations, and at the end of the day carp love to eat them..... yes, they're pricey, and everyone uses them, but the vast majority of my big fish have come to boilie.

Pike yum yum

Pike, a wonderful fish for the plate mate!!

my recipe.

take two jacks about 5lb each

gut and clean pike and cut off two steaks (cut down from spine to keel) about 2"-3" thick

take 4 piece foil 2ft x 1ft and fold in half.

place steak in the ctr of each foil and fold up sides (like a dish)

pour 1/4 bottle of ale in each

add knob of butter

sprinkle with sage

seal foil envelopes and place on hot coals for about ten mins

when flesh is white just pig out :wink:

ideal bank food when your in survival mode :lol:

my recipe.

gut and clean pike and cut off two steaks (cut down from spine to keel) about 2"-3" thick

add (censored) of butter

sprinkle with sage

No no no !!!

Edited by snoozer

my recipe.

add (censored) of butter

sprinkle with sage

If you condone eating pike you carnt complain about the Eastern Europeons eating carp as it sends out mixed messages and pike are awesome fish that should always be returned with care imo.

Thanks for the replies guys,

So it seems that from the 4 on topic answers  :mrgreen:  good old corn is the favourite then, i'm surprised as i thought that it would have been boilies!

I always have a couple of tins of corn with me and some fake floating/sinking corn in the tacle box that i usually add to my boilie baits to help balance them, i might fish one rod with double fake corn on the hook and feed corn in a PVA bag with it next time!

What about your favourite winter bait and feed?

Thanks again

Andy

Forgetting the nut ban, nothing beats pineapple pop ups

I have asked this question because of there being a nut ban on my chosen venues, i was going to use a particle and nut approach but i can't.

I have a pot of pinapple pops that have been in the same brand glug for a few years now and after checking them they are as good as when i purchased them.

I used one last trip a few weeks ago and didn't get a touch, then again the lake was quiet for everyone and the odd fish that was coming out was to floating bread but the bird life was too intence to safely fish this way.

Andy

I would go for a 12mm white popped up boilie, I seem to do better on these than other boilies, corn would be second though. For the second part of your question I would fish the popped up boilie over a sprinkling of corn. the corn to attract and get them feeding and the boilie to stand out... 

I think my bait would also be sweetcorn, it is the best instant, most probably attractive and visual bait going.

As for pike, yes, I used to eat them as a kid, yes, we did catch the occasional fish and take it home for dinner, but nowadays it is catch and return.

I will say though, there are occasional waters, often trout waters where pike are still culled, usually the jacks as opposed to the bigger females, and it may well be that a number end up on a dinner plate.

I would not condone taking any from any other fishery, no matter what species.