Activated Groundbaits

mrdevon

It fizzes and moves up & down in the water column Dev . Here , have a read ...

http://www.clivebradleyfishing.com/new-blog/2013/7/9/how-to-make-an-active-groundbait

Thanks, I was aware they moved up and down in the water column as do most groundbaits that contain particles, small pellets and various base powders as it breakdown but thought there was more to it than it just literally meaning active as in movement

Was thinking it wold have the same effect as an alka-seltzer or similar to mixing powdered citric acid mixed and baking soda as never used it myself always knock my own up

Guess just another word to lure you in

Just remember marketing buzzwords + carp tax = very over priced product  :)

This is a quoted from one of the guys who is now involved with Spotted Fin I think

So how is an active groundbait different?  Well when someone says active when referring to groundbait they literally mean active as in movement.

What you are trying to achieve is ingredients that will move up and down in the water where you are trying to create a swim, attracting the fish into your swim.  

There are lots and lots of ingredients that will do this and the best thing to do is to experiment with them until you have a groundbait that you are happy with.

Thanks, I was aware they moved up and down in the water column as do most groundbaits that contain particles, small pellets and various base powders as it breakdown but thought there was more to it than it just literally meaning active as in movement

Was thinking it wold have the same effect as an alka-seltzer or similar to mixing powdered citric acid mixed and baking soda as never used it myself always knock my own up

Guess just another word to lure you in

As per Hutch's post quote, the activity is supposed to bring fish in to investigate, and match anglers have used the idea for years. Tench and roach particularly like an active groundbait, although bream are happy to take still groundbait, as they tend to carpet feed over an area.

Carp will take still or active, they are not fussy!

However active baits can be used either as bottom or top to create a midwater area when zig fishing, or when fishing mid depths to get best taking point. A liquid slop groundbait over a zig is actually active as you are using the liquid content to spread in the current, or with some solids that rise to get the create the impression of an insect hatch, or with negative or neutral buoyancy that sink down. The slop method you are trying to 'hide' your hookbait, or get them feeding at all depths.

There is so much more to groundbait than just a pile of crumb on the lakebed, and while I can explain so much, it can be really interesting learning more!

I buy a large bag of ground expanda pellets to go in my mix, helps break my stick mix up, get it cheap from a local animal feed shop, they do allsorts of ground and whole pellets, also does a range of ground baits and it's the ground expanda pellets he uses for match guys.
If you are local, well worth checking out, you wont buy pellets from a tackle shop again.
http://www.swannbaits.co.uk/

I buy a large bag of ground expanda pellets to go in my mix, helps break my stick mix up, get it cheap from a local animal feed shop, they do allsorts of ground and whole pellets, also does a range of ground baits and it's the ground expanda pellets he uses for match guys.

If you are local, well worth checking out, you wont buy pellets from a tackle shop again.

http://www.swannbaits.co.uk/

Try crushed dog biscuits, (very useful) crushed hemp, bloodworm, GLM pellets etc. as well.

Layers Mash is a good bulk ingredient, as is Vitalin.

White breadcrumb is a good binder, whereas brown crumb breaks down faster.

Or try using High Yield Goat Mix, or Molassed Rabbit Mix as a groundbait. Pour boiling water over it as you would Vitalin.