sufficient control?

keeno86

in a diary on the forum from my latest trip fishing i mentioned that mt receiver hadnt worked while standing in a mates swim 20 meters from my rod, in a clear line of sight. this prompted sharpy to post a section from the gov.co.uk website. "It’s illegal to leave a rod and line in the water unattended or over which you don’t have sufficient control." a further comment was made saying that if i was 20 meters from my rods wide awake then id probably be in a better position than somebody fast asleep in a zipped up bivvy and zipped up in a sleeping bag.

while i know sharpy wasnt having a go at me just making me aware of the rules as far as the government are concerned id like to know what you lot think?

is somebody a bad fisherman if they sleep with their rods in the water, if they leave their swim to have a cup of tea in the swim next door with a mate. what in your opinion is "sufficient control".

im sure we have all seen idiots who will leave their rodfs in the water while they take a 10 min stroll to the carpark, toilet, cafe ect. what is your thoughts on this?

I think you worry too much .

As you were .

:)

im not worried mate. im all about the benefit of the fish and would never be i a position that i though was wrong. just interested in others views on this, im sure ive seen people saying that sleeping with rods in the water is wrong. as i do a minimum 48 hours often longer then i do sleep but with bivvu door wide open and sleeping bag unzipped. thought it would be a interesting conversation to have on here.

im not worried mate. im all about the benefit of the fish and would never be i a position that i though was wrong. just interested in others views on this, im sure ive seen people saying that sleeping with rods in the water is wrong. as i do a minimum 48 hours often longer then i do sleep but with bivvu door wide open and sleeping bag unzipped. thought it would be a interesting conversation to have on here.

Just carry on doing what your doing . I reckon if everybody stuck rigidly to EA and individual fishery rules nobody would get any fishing done .

You consider what you are doing to be safe and sensible .

If you didn't you wouldn't do it right ? If you banked your rods every time you had to wander 10 ft along the bank for something ?

These rules were probably written donkeys years ago designed for pleasure anglers with one rod in hand , in the days when night fishing was just that

As opposed to camping overnight as everyone does now .

This topic does come up every now and then , usually after somebody has quoted a jobs worth rule from the EA handbook .

You're right Dovii, I wasn't having a pop at you, as I have no idea of the situation.

20m from rods that are in open water, with no features, is very different to fishing tight up to a snag. Which is possibly why the rules are so ambiguous.

There was a guy you got caught out on a river, Pike fishing, with rods 50m apart.

Some people are very heavy sleepers. My mate for instance had a run in the night, and was only awoken after I'd been playing his fish for a couple of minutes.

I was in France a few years ago, and one of the guys on the trip woke up in the morning to find one of his rods missing. Low and behold, a violent take had bounced the rod off the pod, and been pulled into the water. He swears to this day that his baitrunner was on...

Personally I sleep very lightly on the bank, with the whole front of my bivvy zipped off. Any bleeps at all, and I'm down by the rods, without shoes mind.

WIth regards to fishing with more than one rod, the rule is that the butts of the rods can't be more that 3m apart.

WIth regards to walking up and down the bank then common sense must be applied. If I can get back to the rods within a maximum of 20 seconds then it's all good :wink:

EDIT - Unless, as Sharpy says, I'm fishing to snags which means that I should be able to get to the rod in a second (Common sense :wink: ).

Edited by dalthegooner

the answer is dovii, if you want to sleep, dont fish snags.

if you want to be sociable, dont fish snags,

if you have itchy feet or a dose of the runs, dont fish snags.

i dont fish snags!!

when asleep i can be hitting a single beep within seconds even at my age as i have proved time and again but, i dont fish snags as i believe that the fish has to have somewhere on the pool as a safe haven, i have a morbid fear of hanging a carp up and being responsible for the probable death of that fish.

We have all done the walkabout bit particularly when its quite and mates are present, i dont condone sleeping whilst fishing and being a night worker for a long time, i dont need to, i dont currently possess a bedchair and have thought about it but it takes away the reason i am there in the first place. My pet hate, alarm going off staggering drunk attempting to locate his tackle after taking 3 minutes to exit his sleeping bag and bivvy.

Not all people asleep in their bags are drunks. Are you saying you never sleep on a trip cm?

Not all people asleep in their bags are drunks. Are you saying you never sleep on a trip cm?

There was a very long thread on drinking while fishing, and as I said on that, if I'm fishing 1 maybe 2 cans is my limit, as it is should I be with my car while out.

In fact last week I had a meal out, and even with that I stuck to 1 beer as I was driving. I look on it, that if was was over the limit for driving, then if I'm fishing I would also be slowed down enough to make wrong decisions.

This in control of your rods means that effectively keep your rods close together, within the 3metre limit, rods only in one swim, not spread across 2 swims on a lake.

Buzzers are there for that reason, to give you notice of a take, whilst your attention is elsewhere. You may be asleep, watching the water, brewing a coffee or cooking a meal, but you must be able to deal with them on that notice of the indication.

I know for a fact that even on day only sessions I fall asleep in my chair, and the buzzer has woken me up, as it regularly does at night.

I also know that snag fishing I am right next to my rods, but at night, no chance, I move them away from the snags, and fish open water.

I got some serious stick a few years ago, I had the runs, and had to run to the toilet, telling my mate in the next swim to listen out for my rods and threw him the remote as I went past. On my way back as I got to his swim, I had a take, it happened as I got to his swim, but I was on my rods in seconds, fishing from open water.

I still move away from my swim if I need a pee into the undergrowth, although a pony is usually a 'bag in a bucket' job out of sight.

...if you go fishing, go fishing, sleep when your rods aint in the water.

An ignorant statement which is only relevant when you do short sessions. If you fish more than one night then you are putting the fish at more risk by being over tired than by taking a few seconds to wake up and get out of bed.

Yes mate, me and Ianian on our recent social sat it out in chairs, Ian to his credit under a brolly on a chilly night, if you go fishing, go fishing, sleep when your rods aint in the water.

The other day you was considering buying a bedchair and returning to the pits (not Pitsea :)) for longer sessions ?

Discuss .

:)

Edited by newmarket

If you fish more than one night then you are putting the fish at more risk by being over tired than by taking a few seconds to wake up and get out of bed.

Not to mention your health! And those that share the roads with you on your drive home after 24hrs + awake! No thanks. Plus my bed chair is just too comfy not to have a nice kip. If I've had a good night's fishing and no kip I often grab an hour or two before driving home. Makes sure you're alert enough to drive.

I agree with the fishing snags thing though. I wouldn't sleep with a rod fished to a snag. Open water though, I reckon it takes only a matter of seconds longer for me to get to a run when asleep. I leave the duvet unzipped unless it's freezing, and always have the door or the whole front open. I also leave a pair of crocs by the rods at night after a 6am run this spring when I hit the run only to realise it had frozen in the night. Spent the next 10 mins landing the fish hopping from one foot to another as the ground was so cold! Crocs would have been cold, but not that bad! I wouldn't faff around with shoes before getting to the rod.

Excessive drinking is the thing that gets me the most! I like a beer when I'm fishing, but it's one/two ales tops! Enough to enjoy, but not enough to impare the ability to think and act clearly enough to do what we're there for. I've seen people barely able to stand with rods in the water. Not saying getting smashed on a social is nessesarily a bad thing, but wind the rods in eh?

Was on a day ticket last winter and a guy got his rods out, all set up, then almost immediately set off for the car park. 10 mins later and he was still not back and his alarm went off. I mean, it was away! His mate one peg up didn't appear, & I was just starting to head over and pick it up when all went quiet. When he came back he was telling his mate, who didn't even hear it cause he had headphones in watching a film, that he had a "couple of liners" on his receiver while he was at the car. Too far away to even get a good connection to the receiver! Why he didn't give the receiver to his mate I don't know! He didn't bring the rod in, just pulled off some slack to put the bobbin back to where it was.

I didn't tell him. I figured sitting on a rod all night that had been done with his bait meters away from his spot was his own look out for walking off and leaving his rods. Disgraceful! Bit of a different matter when you're in the next swim having a cuppa with a mate, or a few meters up the bank having a wander.

While we're talking about leaving your receiver with a mate in the next swim while you take a walk and being pedantic about the rules, could it not be argued by an EA bailiff that you're handing control of the rods over as you are not close enough to be in sufficient control, and therefore the guy you're leaving it with is technically fishing 6 rods, illegally unless they have a book of rod licenses, and with the buts more than 3 meters apart, illegal, and depending on how far the swims are, not in sufficient control anyway?

Either way, doing that is going to get one or both of you into a bit of stick if they fancied making an example of you surely! I'm sure we've all done it. I know I have when sharing a double swim with a mate.

Edited by adamkitson

Dead right, but i have also seen snagged fish and three or four anglers lines tied in knots by someone reacting too late, tailor your fishing to bite time on that water whenever it is and reel in when you want to sleep, bedchairs have there advantages, you dont get a sore back, but i reckon they are abused and it causes problems for the fish and other anglers.

I think your are tarring everyone with the same brush, not everyone is like that. And secondly I know a few fellas that have a beer or a smoke while fishing, this doesn't make them any worse of a fisherman or harm the carp. Yes there are a few anglers who may sleep through an alarm, or a select few who drink or smoke far to much. That doesn't mean everyone does. After being on here for a while I'm starting to see that anyone who doesn't fish exactly like you or have the same outlook as you is wrong. And before you start with people being entitled to their opinion there is a fine line between speaking your opinion and preaching it.

Its simple really Tim, if you want to sleep, reel it in.

I'm going to surprise you here . Every time I go fishing ( yeah I know :)) I reel in when I have a nap every single day . Between 9am-11.30am and 2.30-5.30 pm I know I'm never ever going to get a bite so not only do I get a little kip but I'm resting the swim as well .

Now I know that's a different topic entirely but I wouldn't dream of reeling my lines in during the night . It's what bite alarms are for and if you did then you may as well just fish day sessions and minimise your chances of catching .

Ask Neal .

Its not going to make a blind bit of difference to anyone what i say, they will still do it anyway, the only people who think i am preaching it are the ones that dont want to follow my thoughts on the matter, bite time is never all the time, some lakes it stops at around 9 and starts again in the evening, some lakes, you cant catch fish in daylight at all, and most, the hours of darkness are not very productive, plenty of time to sleep and rest your swim.

true what your saying, but some lakes may not have a "bite time". the lake i fish may produce 1 bite a weekend, at any time of the day, as im not a heavy sleeper, i dont smoke tons of whacky baccy and im not an alcohloc do you think id be ok to take a nap when im tired without taking my rods out of the water?

Its not going to make a blind bit of difference to anyone what i say, they will still do it anyway, the only people who think i am preaching it are the ones that dont want to follow my thoughts on the matter, bite time is never all the time, some lakes it stops at around 9 and starts again in the evening, some lakes, you cant catch fish in daylight at all, and most, the hours of darkness are not very productive, plenty of time to sleep and rest your swim.

How do you find out what times are the best bite times, if you don't fish for 24 hours? You could be missing that 3am feed, or that early afternoon snack.

To be able to truly know a lakes feeding patterns, you must have at least fished it regularly for a number of sessions.

What about those of us that cannot commit to that sort of amount of fishing on a lake? Should we only fish days only, or wipe out a few days by staying up for 24hrs+?

Its simple really Tim, if you want to sleep, reel it in.

I have fished a lot of lakes, I cant say I've ever seen anyone reel in at night

Every one will have their own views, and must fish how they feel comfortable fishing, to a point. Fair play indeed to you for that approach CM, I think you're in a bit of a minority on this one though.

Only on some lakes Tim, most fish are caught early or late depending on the season.

There's a day ticket near me that has electronic gates . They open at 7am and shut at 7pm in the summer , 7-6 in the winter months .

Fish days only and you miss ALL the probable bite times .

And a LOT of secure waters are like this .

Can you see where I'm going with this ? :)