One Beep

Ddgx

Was listening to the carp cast today with Kevin Nash talking about hitting at single beeps, people only waiting for screamers, and also explaining why he thinks their alarms that include speed sensing are so good. Couple of things for you all to think about; If you do hit a single beep what is it about the situation that makes you decide to take action rather than write it off as a liner or something else? On the subject of alarms that don't just look at 'travel' but also speed, to me his explanation for eliminating false bleeps made sense. Those of you who have tried both a delk and a Nash siren - what says yee?

Yeah good point about the bait loss thing. I'm usually (I say usually, I mean 99.9% of the time) fishing a boillie or pop up, so I'm pretty sure the bait can handle getting done a bit. I'm always sitting on my hands with liners and the odd beep. I used to bring it in after a few like this to check the rig/bait, but the amount of times I've had activity like this only for it to go properly a while later. No way to tell if a re-chuck at that point would have cost me the bite or not.

I put it down to fish with their heads down around the bait either moving the line or shifting the lead a bit, or even getting done. Mind you, like everything it comes down to what we've experienced personally. I've hit single bleeps or questionable liners quite a few times, and not even once have I connected, so I've just stopped doing it. I'm not waiting for a full on spinning spool, just sure and certain signs that it's a take.

I definitely don't hit single bleeps with running leads and slack lines!

You can get small fish hitting the line under the rod tips, I have seen it happen and you get a bleep. You can even get a series of bleeps as the line is moved.

With tight lines I tend to watch the indicator carefully, even with Delkims on maximum sensitivity, a single bleep will alert you, but the indicator may twitch with no more sound from the alarm. These I hit.

Single bleeps with no more movement I leave, or more correctly leave for around 10 minutes before recasting. I may have been done, or more likely been crayed.
In this case I need to check the bait, the little gits may have taken the bait, or pulled it into their hole and made it untakeable by carp.

I think that many 'liners' are actually anglers being sussed. I mentioned on another thread about a twitch and/or bleep occurring when a fish blows the bait and hook out when using semi-fixed leads, this I think is a more regular occurrence than fish hitting the line dependant on range being fished, as I think at range the line is running along the lakebed anyway.
Also you may need to consider the feeding situation, a single bleep when fishing over a bed of bait is likely to be a proper take, but the fish is feeding head down, clearing everything up. Yet over a sparse area, it could be fish hitting the line between you and the point it touches down.

It is likely that the line stretch and the absorbing factor of the lakebed needs to be considered, so every single bleep needs to be thought about.

Seeing  the rod tip gives me "yes or no" to hitting single beeps, sometimes the bobbin is shaking but the tip shows more, more consistently to what may be happening.

As for liners...check out this one from a few years back.

Personally I wouldn't of hit that , I like to wait till I'm really sure .

Lol!

Is it possible that by the time that you got to the rod (not implying you took your time btw) rig had been discharged and it was actually a take? Would be pretty coincidental though granted.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

i have had liners like that, when a carp with a snaggy dorsal runs under your line. it feels the line on its back and swims away but the line is hooked on a spiney bit, i know this to be so as once the carp was less than two rod lengths out and i had cast to a spot over 80yds away, you could see the line following it and there  was nowt i could do about it but wait to see what happened.

fortunately the hook didnt bite home as it dragged over its back, stopped using that hooklink set up that day :wink:

Lol!

Is it possible that by the time that you got to the rod (not implying you took your time btw) rig had been discharged and it was actually a take? Would be pretty coincidental though granted.

I actually got to the point where I was hitting everything as I was getting fed up with reeling in tangled hook length /lead clip arrangements where the rig wasn't resetting itself having been 'done' and the lead being moved considerable distance with single bleeps being the only indication.

Hitting the bleeps did improve things but not as much as switching to running rigs ....as Nick said , single bleeps ( which I would hit ) usually turn into full blown runs before I could hit em :wink:

I don't hit single bleeps. I don't hit double or triple bleeps either, in fact the indicator can shoot up by a few inches and I'll wait a second to see if it drops back down before hitting anything.

IMO we're all getting done by the carp all the time. I reckon we convert only a very small percentage of takes into hooked fish. The takes that don't convert don't do so because our rigs are just not effective enough to hook them properly every time, which is why I always use rigs that reset themselves. If I get a dropped take that yields a single bleep I'd rather leave it out there than risk having to recast the rod on top of feeding fish for what could potentially be anything - a liner, drifting weed, wind etc...

Some may say that will cost me fish but in my mind I'd rather leave it on the spot until a carp hooks itself than hit a fish that is lightly or ineffectively hooked, lose it, and kill the swim. Nine times out of ten if I start getting single bleeps and twitches a run will follow shortly which is all I need to keep doing it that way.

Like beanz, if I have a twitchy take the rod tip is what'll tell me to hit it, not the alarm/indicator (they're just there to wake me up, tell me to get out of the tree, or stop me daydreaming about 50 lb commons).

Lol!

I was fishing semi slack to the far side,If you look just by the middle alarm you'll see where the line enters the water, which moves across to the right and into my other line, then as I reel in you'll see the line mend back to where the lead was.

I was fishing semi slack to the far side,If you look just by the middle alarm you'll see where the line enters the water, which moves across to the right and into my other line, then as I reel in you'll see the line mend back to where the lead was.

That's solid evidence. Didn't see that on the video. Ta.

... If I get a dropped take that yields a single bleep I'd rather leave it out there than risk having to recast the rod on top of feeding fish for what could potentially be anything...

This is a massive point depending on your point of view. 

There are those that think that casting on to a baited area will spook the fish and those that think the lead hitting the water is ringing the dinner bell (Which, in my experience, depends on the water :wink: )

So I guess my answer to the original question is that it depends on the water, and the anglers knowledge of said water :wink:

Edited by dalthegooner

• 3 weeks later...