Marker rod/fishing rod, clip at same distance?

Miltz308

At 20 feet deep and 96 feet out, you should put your bait at just over 2 feet longer, 2.06 feet to be precise, simple trigonometry courtesy of Pythagorus and who ever made this calculator.

What IS the formula please mate ...in English please :)

For future reference :wink:

If I've grasped what you are trying to achieve correctly . Which Is accuracy / depth at distance . Say for example your marker float is 40 yards out in 12 ft of water.

Try clipping at different distances using a good amount so foam on the hook to see where it rises in comparison to the position of your float , over the desired spot. Repeat this until it's in the correct position, then note it down for future reference

This is done preferably at the end of the session on an angler free lake.

At 20 feet deep and 96 feet out, you should put your bait at just over 2 feet longer, 2.06 feet to be precise, simple trigonometry courtesy of Pythagorus  and who ever made this calculator.

This just doesn't stack up to me cm .... Nicks method of adding a third is what I would go with , so for every 3ft of water you add 1 ft extra in length.

Apologies if it seems I disagree with you on everything not my intention.

Where has the post vanished too that was posted at 3.46pm today?

,... and then you have to take into account wind direction and force of wind (if any), diameter and type of line being used, under-current of water (if any), power of cast(er), arc of casting line, weight (lead) being used,.... 

So many variables to be taken into account that maths will fall short - unless of course we are talking straight lines on paper and no opportunity for human error  :roll:

Much better to allow experience to take the upper hand and go with the eye,...oh, hang on - re-wind,... how much 'give' would the line take if casting the 'bait boat'. :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

No, as you say- can't argue with Pythagoras's theorem as he isn't around to defend himself, but the genius that he was - well, I'd edge bets that he would see the futile sense, and it certainly is futile, of using his theorem to score brownie points (and being so wrong I still haven't stopped laughing), and then to cap it all - as is your usual trait of being an obnoxious, arrogant fool, not to mention pig ignorant in ridiculing somebody, quote ' you are out of your depth mate, forget it,...' unquote.

Do you crack the fat when you mock others?

Should I grab my coat again? :roll:

Education?

Coming from a doughnut that hasn't the inclination to follow a red squiggly line under a word to alert you that the word is spelt incorrectly, and now you want to give a lecture on quantum physics? ROFLMMFAO...I bet you think Pythagoras even used peanuts, huh.

It's not an issue, though - I've found the button again, mods.

CM,

Draw it on a piece of paper, you cast a marker out and retrieve it until you find a spot, release the float this depth is the "opposite", pull it back down and mark it up. At this point you have marked the "hypotenuse"? How does pythagoras help now? it can tell you how far out you are from the bank "adjacent" but that doesn't help you cast to it. If you feel the lead down on a tight line (as most do) it follows the circumference of a circle. You need to now draw a circle with a radius of the hypotenuse back to the surface? You can't argue with pythagoras but you need to understand it to apply it?

Not being good at maths at all I'm more of a practical sort of bloke .

Could I not do a simple experiment in my barn.

If i clamped a rod up in the roof of the barn at a similar angle to the one most of us use to feel the lead down .

Pulled the line tight with a lead on and let it drop , with the use of a couple of plumb bombs one where the lead started & finished then measure the distance between the two . ?

The arc doesn't come into the finished position, it only affect the transit if you want to work out where it is at a particular time other than the end of its journey.

Wind and under currents

rod tip position on entry and while dropping through the water

movement caused by tightening the line

yes will affect it

Arc no, it's a red herring for the purposes of this conversation for how far past a marker you should cast to account for fall back(?).

Ianain that matches how I did my calculation. :wink:

I still wouldn't expect it to be exact anyway given all other outside factors.

Especially when you consider Rob Hughes underwater tests in Carpology and what actually happens to the spod on contact with water and how bait behaves once it leaves the spod and falls through the water column.

Edited by androoooo