Cradle/Unhooking mat

It's high time that I upgraded my unhooking arrangements and seek advice on the subject.

I'm looking to get some sort of padded cradle. I've seen several on folding legs that look ok but this isn't by any means essential in my search.

Suggestions please, folks. Quality and ease of use is more important than cost.

Ian

I've got the Nash carp cradle which ticks all of the boxes.

Adjustable legs, quality materials, well made, nice and roomy, deep enough to ensure that even the most spirited carp can't try to make a break for freedom. It's designed to hold water, rather than a lot of others which have a mesh bottom to let the water run away. This can result in you getting a bit wet at times but, in my opinion, is far less stressful for the fish.

And it comes with a padded kneeling mat to help those old knees when kneeling down.

I've got the Nash carp cradle which ticks all of the boxes.

Adjustable legs, quality materials, well made, nice and roomy, deep enough to ensure that even the most spirited carp can't try to make a break for freedom. It's designed to hold water, rather than a lot of others which have a mesh bottom to let the water run away. This can result in you getting a bit wet at times but, in my opinion, is far less stressful for the fish.

And it comes with a padded kneeling mat to help those old knees when kneeling down.

Gonna watch this thread with interest, Need to start a 2016 list of tackle i get but don't necessarily need :)

Which Nash cradle you got as they do more than one.

I've had a look at these too, Miltz, thanks.

Oh, please call me Ian. Even my wife does...........

Ian

Ok cool, Ian :)

I am going mental at the mo and was in the tackle shop yesterday pricing up some new gear. I am hitting the UEA broad where the biggest is 42lb... I happened to mention to the lad helping me that I had the fox cradle, he was singing its praises for a while and mentioned that he had it himself.. When I mentioned that I was fishing the broad, he said that if I happened to get a big 30 or the 40 that the cradle simply wouldn't be big enough, and the fish would be sticking out of the top!

Something to think about if your fishing waters with any 35+!!

Sam.

Ian ,look no further than my posting above, this type of mat is far more durable than a cradle and less prone to damage , you can release the fish from it if you so desire.

Their are other mats similar in design to the Shimano and probably as good , but the shimano ticked all the boxes for me .You will have no problems with a 30 in it .

Once again its a case of each to their own and if you like cradles all well and good .

Ian,

Would this work for you?

http://www.carp-zone.co.uk/product/CZ065/Carp%20Zone%20-%20Euro%20Carp%20Cradle

I use the slightly smaller UK version myself, and it has plenty of room, and is good for releasing fish straight into the water

Or one we regularly get asked for and sell plenty of at work,

Nash Carp Cradle Mk3

http://www.nashtackle.co.uk/products/view/carp-cradles-mark-3#product_options

We got the Nash monster cradle last year along with the matching weigh / retaining sling that sits inside the cradle , had an extremely lively 30 in it and at no point did I feel the fish was going to get over the sides . The sling which has zipped ends on it makes weighing and releasing the fish very easy and safe .

Of course it's another thing to carry and 9lb fish looks a bit lost in it but the principle is the same and it certainly does its job . An observation on the ones with raised sides is that the sides collapse over time and are little better than a flat mat

"" An observation on the ones with raised sides is that the sides collapse over time and are little better than a flat mat ""

Each to their own , have yet to see one with collapsed sides yet, and cannot see it ever happening to the one I have , but I have seen a Cradle last summer with 2 legs busted ,the guy knelt on it apparently or was it a Bream

A Carp cradle such as the Nash one (Elevated)  linked by Gordon is becoming increasingly the only unhooking method allowed on French venues, Might be worth considering this style if France is a possibility.

Nash%20baby%20carp%20bed_zpsunpe1m3e.jpe

France is always a possibility, snoozer. I've done Rushes Lake twice and fully intend to return asap.

I'm leaning toward the Nash product, probably the Monster Mk3.

I'll pop into Fosters of Birmingham soon and see what they have in stock.

Gentlemen, thanks for your help and guidance.

Ian

We got the Nash monster cradle last year along with the matching weigh / retaining sling that sits inside the cradle , had an extremely lively 30 in it and at no point did I feel the fish was going to get over the sides . The sling which has zipped ends on it makes weighing and releasing the fish very easy and safe .

Of course it's another thing to carry and 9lb fish looks a bit lost in it but the principle is the same and it certainly does its job . An observation on the ones with raised sides is that the sides collapse over time and are little better than a flat mat

Another vote for the Nash product, then. Thanks, John.

Sold.

Ian