Budget underwater video?

Ddgx

Got a promo email this morning and saw these;

http://www.gearbest.com/microscopes-endoscope/pp_235112.html

An endoscope that plugs into your smart phone with a 10m cable..."water resistant" so not entirely sure how it would feel about being completely submerged but I wonder about this as a very very low budget DIY underwater camera for margin use. £13.35 delivered.

Anyone else made their own DIY underwater cams and what did you use, how well do they work?

I like the look of that, not as strong as the inspection cams for sewer line or automotive but far cheaper. Saskcarp lowered a waterproof gopro camera into the lake to see what his rig was doing and it worked very well. My ice fishing cam is very bulky in comparison since I'm hauling a small tv around.

I've decided for the price I'm going to get one to try. Others on the site are apparently ip67 rated, and this one looks similar so might also be? That said, I will most likely fit it inside a diy housing and add some weight so I can 'cast it'. Will take a while to arrive but will let you know how I get on.

I did not spot that, and thinks you might be right! Boo hoo. It might still make a nice way of seeing what the conditions are like on the bottom but unless I'm getting rigs sat pretty much in front of it I shan't be getting takes on camera! To be honest I had imagined the angle was going to be fairly narrow too.

focal length is in fact the distance between lens and sensor so nothing to do with how far it can actually focus. as an example with a dslr camera the lense lenghts actually mean focal lenght i.e. standard 50mm lens = 50mm focal lenght. also anything under 50mm is classed as wide angle so the camera you mention goes from 30mm wide angle up to 80mm zoom, hope this helps.

Sorry wamps :oops:

focal length is in fact the distance between lens and sensor so nothing to do with how far it can actually focus. as an example with a dslr camera the lense lenghts actually mean focal lenght i.e. standard 50mm lens = 50mm focal lenght. also anything under 50mm is classed as wide angle so the camera you mention goes from 30mm wide angle up to 80mm zoom, hope this helps.

As Dal pointed out,

The link states that the focal distance is 30-80mm. I think (Although I may be woefully wrong :wink: ) that this means the subject you're filming has to be between 30mm and 80mm of the lens to be in focus.

the advert states 30 - 80mm focal distance, it doesn't mention focal length, normally I would think it was a typo / mis-informed writer, but considering what it is used for (sticking down throats, up bums and such like), I would say the advert is correct with focal distance. As to being wide angle, this depends on the size of the sensor / film not the focal length of the lens.

I have thought of getting a snorkel mask and flippers and just getting in there, that might not be acceptable on most syndicates though !

One of the regular guys on Pine pool  used his diving kit to have a look at the bottom of the lake, he is an ex Royal Marine though, all that thick weed and silt is just another day in the office to him, he did look like he was a bit stuck at one point, so i would be careful if you do get the snorkel out.

That was in winter time last January, wouldn't want to try and snorkel Pine pool in the summer

• 2 weeks later...

Well the endoscope arrived today. I had trouble downloading the app that you are 'supposed' to use with it but within about 5 minutes quickly found a different app on the Android market place that worked first time. For the money, I am pleasantly surprised. For starters, it actually worked with the phone which was the first hurdle. I have only spent a few minutes messing about with it, but it does appear that the focus is sharper the nearer you get to the lense. i.e. If I hold it close to something the image is sharper - but you can still make out an entire room OK. I think the low quality is exacerbated somewhat by the low light conditions in the room I tried it in tonight. I think it would likely perform better in strong daylight (like all cameras!).

After getting it working for a minute or two, intrigue got the better of me and I had to plunge it into my fish tank to see how 'waterproof' it was :) Recorded some video for about 3-4 minutes at a depth of 6inches or so. Took it out and dried it off and it still appears to be working just fine. How it fairs in a few feet of water, there will be only one way to find out! However, I am probably going to fit it inside a DIY housing anyway, because I want to be able to weight it so that when I chuck it in somewhere it lands the correct way up.

So quick summary, it works, the quality is so so and as expected, but then it did cost £12. Further testing will be needed to see if it is actually usable in cloudy lake water and/or exposed to a bit more psi :wink:

I'll see if I can upload a quick video of it in the fish tank in a bit. Questions welcome.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v={SIMPLETEXT}"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

vRZln194OFI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Couldn't edit my previous post...

You'll see when I get close in on the back of the battery packet before it goes in the tank it is actually quite clear

Edited by Ddgx