Female dogs.....

newmarket

Lol , you all thought this was going to be a thread about my live-in site agent didn't you ?

Well you're WRONG :) it's about our pet Golden Lab "honey ".

She's 7 months old and we are going to get her seen to as soon as the money's available .

She's a lovely animal , SO we'll natured especially with my little one who beats 7 bells of Shi te out of her when they are playing but she is a little OVER friendly in that she jumps up , licking and nibblin' with her choppers ALL the time.

It's like she doesn't see us from one week to the next she gets so excited .

If we have visitors , and I mean strangers AND/or family I end up having to banish her to the garden till they've gone .

There's stuff getting broken and hot coffees flying about indoors as well as TJ's toys getting mullered .

Anybody got any advice for someone who knows not a lot about Dogs ? :)

Hi NM

Yes I saw the thread title and thought " oh no, what's the bitch done now to our gallant hero ? "  :oops: .

I only know as a Postman  I hate little Jack Russell's , snappy , bitey little things , but a lovely Golden Lab. , you'd be hard pressed to find a nasty one .

Trouble is I can't help you with your problem , I think Nick is a dog man , and I'm fairly confident that when others get home from work they will be able to help you .

Keep ducking and bobbing , and get your jab going .

:wink:

some dogs will always be ( as we see it over friendly ) as it's in there nature.

My bitch staffie always likes a chew on your arm to say hello and a bit of fuss & not all strangers or family members are quite prepared for it :lol:

She's still a pup really your dog Tim so a bit of training on how you want her to behave around others & she'll be fine .

Yellow Lab, right? Not a Golden Retriever...  Dogs jumping up on you can be discouraged with a gentle knee in the chest.  I trained hunting retrievers in a kennel for a couple of years and while we had almost exclusively Labs we did get the odd Golden.  My dog was a black but his mother was a yellow, there were 8 black puppies and 2 yellows in the litter.  If both parents have the genes they can have a rainbow litter with chocolates as well.  Dogs that haven't moved all day will stir themselves out of the dust to come get a scratch and a pet from me.

Thanks fellas , apart from this over zealousness she's such a good dog in every way , didn't take 5 minutes to get the sit , laying down , nappy training when she was little etc

I think she used 3 puppy pads altogether and since then always asks to go out for her ablutions etc , we just can't get her to calm down when she's in greeting mode .

Try and get her to bark when the front door sounds ?

No chance , she's hoping its somebody bringing food :)

Hi NM

That's unusual Honey doesn't bark when there's a knock at the front door .

The times I've pressed someones' doorbell , I haven't heard it ring , so then I'll knock on their door just to make sure , and a dog barks .

A barking dog , better than a doorbell any day ! .

She barked when the wise guy 2 doors down started sawing at something at 1am the other night . First time .

Any burglars will get licked to death though you could probably ID them by the paw marks on their chest :)

And the chickens . And the quail .

Actually she nearly gave the mountain Quail a corony en masse :)

She only one she doesn't bother too much is the Moggy . She tried to a few times but the Cat gave her what for with a few feline moves that the Karate Kid would have been proud of :wink:

What a cutie!  That over-zealousness is something she should grow out of*, and she'll get the hang of answering the door as well.  Labs are really tractable but the attention span of pups dictates the length of training sessions as they grow.

*The dogs that are bred for waterfowling and field trial competition are all relatively high strung, and some people kept them in kennels in the belief that they were faster than house pets but we found that an inside dog can have the same edge once they get in the field, and the kennel I worked for preferred to sell to buyers who would keep them as pets as well as hunters or field trialers.

Lol , you all thought this was going to be a thread about my live-in site agent didn't you ?

Well you're WRONG :) it's about our pet Golden Lab "honey ".

She's 7 months old and we are going to get her seen to as soon as the money's available .

She's a lovely animal , SO we'll natured especially with my little one who beats 7 bells of Shi te out of her when they are playing but she is a little OVER friendly in that she jumps up , licking and nibblin' with her choppers ALL the time.

It's like she doesn't see us from one week to the next she gets so excited .

If we have visitors , and I mean strangers AND/or family I end up having to banish her to the garden till they've gone .

There's stuff getting broken and hot coffees flying about indoors as well as TJ's toys getting mullered .

Anybody got any advice for someone who knows not a lot about Dogs ? :)

Dog clicker, and a compressed air spray.

It's not a spray as such, but you press the trigger, and the escaping gas hisses in such a way that the dog jumps.

Plenty of attention, good behavioural treats, positive reinforcement, and not negative reinforcement, but other than the jumping up and barking, ignore much of the negative.

Be firm when telling 'sit', 'stay' and the like.

If you remember Barnaby, my mum and her husbands Retriever, she and Ian could not get him to behave, stay or sit very easily. I could do it with raising a finger or eye contact.

The spray and clicker I mention above, it may be worth diving into a certain Rayleigh shop and see if they have one

Also Labradors and Retrievers can pull a bit on leads, so a lead to harness could be better than a lead to collar.

labs in my opinion are the best dogs ,all dogs are loyal if treated well , labs are extremely well behaved round kids as in they don't  eat them,  keeping them from eating the contents of bins , fridges, freshly cooked food ,sheep s##t and other dogs s##t can be a struggle ,

ive watched 6 grow up from pups in my lifetime the latest is 4 years old !

jumping up can be a problem round kids getting scratched faces especially when they are pups, they just want too lick your face ,they soon understand what a no means when said firmly with a push down .

Some listen too you more than others,we had 1 that would always be on the lookout for an open door and would race off to the local river for a swim given half a chance another that was well trained but would love to sneak off upstairs and snap one off in your bedroom in less than 30 seconds ,you would have to sprint off after her to stop her,

you would not believe what they eat , I once found an action man arm sticking out of a dump in the garden once and another time she ran into the house with a ball of sewing wool trailing from her butt which she was dragging behind her,we had to cut it off luckily it all came out the next day ! 

we got a call from the local butcher once that our dog was grabbing things out of shopping bags when leaving his shop and a neighbour once spotted her running up the street with a trail of sausages hanging from her mouth,

they read you via your body language and your facial expressions and a few learnt words these are your best way of communicating with them , they will have you sussed before you know it just make sure its you that's boss !

All their personalities have been very different our latest loves playing with party balloons she will play keepy uppy with her nose and carry them round gently so as not to pop them ,quite a sensitive dog with a lot of patience ! only needs telling once .

one we had 20 years ago would go to girls who wore a dress and lift their dresses up with her nose and would then give everything a good sniff and would get giddy when they jumped in the air  !

cant emphasise how much they love water,if your taking her to some carp waters she is going to be gaggin to get in there. Summer or winter !

treat em right and you have a pal for life !

As an ex professional dog trainer I will say this:

If you were to list out the majority of points of advice in this thread and action them you would possibly ruin your dog for life. If that is a little over dramatic based on the situation it is only because of her breed. A sensitive collie, you definitely would, a lab maybe a little more bomb proof. None of it is wrong as such, just to generic to be given without context. Eg, someone mentioned a clicker. Well you need a very good command of what it is, what it does and why it works for it to work. The amount of people I see using a clicker as a recall command, or to make their dog sit etc etc makes me cringe!

I could write you pages of advice and info on dog training, how dogs learn, how various techniques will work/not work and why, but without seeing and working with you and the dog all I would be doing is telling you how to dog train, not how to train your dog, and get the best from her and correct the issues you are having.

My advice would be to find a good behaviouralist and invest in one or two sessions with them. Considering you'll be living with your dog for 14 years, and a good trainer will give you real relevant ways to correct your specific issues in one or two hours it would be a good investment.

Where are you based? I know trainers up and down the country. If you happen to be local to me I'll do it myself for free. :)

Love your dog, enjoy her, and take advice from those that know, not those that think they know. One or two well trained dogs does not a dog trainer make.

Sorry if this post sounds harsh. I don't mean to sound arrogant, Just I know what it takes to get good at this stuff, and it is something that people often take too lightly. The wrong advice can be damaging and you have to live with the consequences.

That being said, nealjt's last post is a good one. A behaviour that doesn't get the desired response will change or disappear. apart from the compressed air bit though, which is used as an unconditioned positive punisher, and a correct gauge of reaction and understanding should be gone through before using it. Can be good, can be useless, can be bad. Depends.

• 3 weeks later...