Save The Ebro

Some of you may be aware that the River Ebro in Spain is under pressure at the moment form the illegal taking of specimen fresh water fish.

You are legally allowed to take two carp but the rules need to be changed and as a carping nation the Brits are taking the bull by the horns.

I am sick of hearing stories of our eastern european bretherin taking more than a fair share, some have jacked their jobs picking fruit as they earn more money selling 30lb carp to friends and family.

A part of me says fair play but then the fish that are being taken are sometimes my clients previous personal best.

I dont know what any of you forum members think, I dont know if any of you have ever fished here. There is a lot of Ebro hype but it does not detract from the fact that this is a very special place to fish and is one of Europes best fresh water fisheries.

A website is being set up at the moment to bring awareness to local fishing clubs and the powers that be in spain in an attempt to make a change in the rules and save these specimens.

All that is required from you is your support by adding your name to a petition against the excess taking of large fish

If any of you are up for helping me by lending your voice then please contact us at info@savetheebro.com

In return we will give a banner and direct link to this forum and what is being discussed

www.savetheebro.com

I have to agree that you must be rite i hav only fished on the ebro twice im going next month but i have noticed a lot of people taking carp out of the river and in massive proportions as well. Im not sure if u are aware but its not only the ebro where this is happening, i fish in mainland spain and people never put fish back there aprt from myself. I have seen an angler put a fish back into the water so its not only the ebro that has problems.

good website by the way

• 4 months later...

my dad owns a company called catfish capers on the river ebro and i worked as a catfish guide for a 13 months. We fish the stretch of river up near caspe above the dam at mequienza and the amount of carp up there is un real. Ive witnessed the carp spawning in the margins and it will take commercial trailers to have any effect on the carp numbers there are litterally millions of fish.

Unfortunately the fact that there are indeed millions of fish does not mean that it is okay for people to kill and take trailer loads of fish, which they are doing...

This is completely the wrong attitude to take, as usual in life these days nothing will be done until it is too late. Acting now ensures education and management of a resource enjoyed by many people, including those that killl for the table, but it has to be governed and the attitude that there are millions of fish anyway will not be something that is true in the future unless measures are put in place...

The human race is the same in everything, do nothing until it is too late...

• 2 years later...

I had a heated exchange with some eastern europeans last year over a 90lb catfish on the top lake. He was pleading with me to give the fish to him to kill so he and his family could eat it. At one stage I was surrounded by around 4 or 5 of them- all pawing at the fish. Needless to say I barged them out of the way and returned the fish. theres some places up there that look a complete hole as they turn up, party all weekend (Car doors open and "ethnic" music at full tilt")-killing all the fish they catch leaving carcasses everywhere for the flies to settle on them (believe me there are millions) and leaving all of their cans, rubbish and Faeces behind them.

Edited for swearing, PLEASE don't do it!

On the plus side, it's nice that someone has used the search facility even if this thread is almost 2 & a half years old :wink:

x2gsd

• 1 month later...

Are European friends view fresh water fish in a completely differet light than us brits, Carp and catfish has been on the menu for hundreds of years. What we have to realise is its in thier culture to eat carp , and its not are place to question this. Its common place for the spanish to eat catfish and as its thier country you are fishing in i think it only right to respect that. How would you feel if people from aother country started trying to ban certain food here, You would protest im sure. When you are in another country you have to go with the flow or go home simple as that.

I genually have no problem with other cultures and people wanting to eat fish. My rant was more around how these people are destroying the area and bullying anglers to give them the fish. There's some areas on the top lake that just look like dumps.

• 4 weeks later...

If its your first time I would have a guide for at least half your trip. Its truly massive and you could waste a lot of time blanking when there are fish not too far away.

Mequinenza is obviously good- but busy. The top lake lends itself to the pioneering spirit- there are some huge uncaught fish swimming around up there (200lb cats and 40lb carp)... but its massive, rocky, deep and you'll need a boat.

Hey mate, yeah we are going to hire out a boat but not to sure on the gear tho, hire or buy? eventually i will def buy some gear because my ma and pa live bout 3 hrs away in valencia so nice and cheap fishing trip to spain.

the deep/rocky part sounds great but im only going to be fishing for 2 days there and i would proberly cry if i blanked lol.

Some of you may be aware that the River Ebro in Spain is under pressure at the moment form the illegal taking of specimen fresh water fish.

You are legally allowed to take two carp but the rules need to be changed and as a carping nation the Brits are taking the bull by the horns.

I am sick of hearing stories of our eastern european bretherin taking more than a fair share, some have jacked their jobs picking fruit as they earn more money selling 30lb carp to friends and family.

A part of me says fair play but then the fish that are being taken are sometimes my clients previous personal best.

I dont know what any of you forum members think, I dont know if any of you have ever fished here. There is a lot of Ebro hype but it does not detract from the fact that this is a very special place to fish and is one of Europes best fresh water fisheries.

A website is being set up at the moment to bring awareness to local fishing clubs and the powers that be in spain in an attempt to make a change in the rules and save these specimens.

All that is required from you is your support by adding your name to a petition against the excess taking of large fish

If any of you are up for helping me by lending your voice then please contact us at info@savetheebro.com

In return we will give a banner and direct link to this forum and what is being discussed

www.savetheebro.com

i have been a guide and a regular angler of spains ebro.

its not just the europeans mate that take the carp. but if you look deeper you will find that catfishing guides on the lower ebro go to lake caspe to catch small carp and use them as live baits on the lower part. benefelat upwards the mullet dont survive the water and are not good travellers in dustbins so hundreds of carp are being used everyday by these anglers brits mate greedy cat anglers charging 150 euros a day.

i worked out that 2 angler who are based in amposta use about 5-8 fish a day each they been there years that 800 carp a year and these average 3-8lb in weight i use hallibet pellets when i fish up at mech.

i have seen with my own eyes keepnets full of carp being tipped into large skips in the bag of mobile homes or vans by english and spanish.

the only way to stop this is ban people from live bait fishing and they need to be issued a conviction and published in all the papers so other anglers can see

i know you will say that live bait fishing is banned but i have never seen a ballif or a copper on the lower ebro in years they dont even charge day ticket down there or check your licences.

cheers paul and yes im a brit

Hey mate, yeah we are going to hire out a boat but not to sure on the gear tho, hire or buy? eventually i will def buy some gear because my ma and pa live bout 3 hrs away in valencia so nice and cheap fishing trip to spain.

the deep/rocky part sounds great but im only going to be fishing for 2 days there and i would proberly cry if i blanked lol.

hi when you want a boat i have a 17ft dellquay 40hp engine kitted out for catfishing holds 3 easy its in mechanensa cost 90 pound a year for storage

hi when you want a boat i have a 17ft dellquay 40hp engine kitted out for catfishing holds 3 easy its in mechanensa cost 90 pound a year for storage

Hey, Is there any chance you would hire it out to me just for a day? or are you just selling it. Would you be there on june 9th? it would be for me, my dad and my brother and we have owned 2 boats in the past so we no how to look after them. Also mate do you no of any good but fair priced places to hire out tackle? Our plan is on the first day to go out with a guide and the second day to go out alone hopefully remembering where some of the hot spots are.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Is there any chance you would hire it out to me just for a day? or are you just selling it. Would you be there on june 9th? it would be for me, my dad and my brother and we have owned 2 boats in the past so we no how to look after them. Also mate do you no of any good but fair priced places to hire out tackle? Our plan is on the first day to go out with a guide and the second day to go out alone hopefully remembering where some of the hot spots are.

hello if you want to go out to spain and hire a boat the best way to do this is to get intouch with a freind of mine called mike il leave is number at the bottom.

you will get appartments boats and catfish tackle and carp tackle if you need it. all you need is terminal tackle you can have guides for whole or part days or do it all yourself as they give you a 15ft dell quay with outboard for your stay.

my advise is to go with these guys have one days guided catfishing watch what they do how they feed and drop baits ask them loads of questions then copy it. you should catch then for your stay

keep in touch il tell you some spots if you decide to go using google earth i can send you pictures of the river to visit.

mikes number is 07949524930

www.spanish-catfishing-ebro.com web site

• 2 years later...

You make me lough! If you wish to fish in C&R sistem on wild waters, it's up to you, but why don't you let the other people to go fishing? What do you think that it's fishing about? About playing with the fishes? Catching them, kising them and than putting them back? No! Sportiv fishing is a serious business and it involve to prepare for the fishing, to catch as many fishes as you need and as you can and then to cook and eat them. Harming fishes just for fun is a very cruel sport. Or what? are you afraid that the carps from Ebru will disappear because of the people who will take home 2 carps? Belive me that they won't even every fisherman would take home 200 carps! Why don't you promote hunting without kiling? Let's shoot the animals with some paint. So, sorry, but i don't belive in catch&release, I belive in C&G (kill and grill).

Well carpelescu thanks for your first and last post. I suspect that you were just spoiling for a fight.

I've just got back from the Ebro and at the moment it is a flourishing fishery. Having caught umpteen small cats and carp I agree that taking a couple of small carp for the table is not going to hurt anyone or anything and is probably less than a big cat eats in a day.

Taking big carp and cats though is self defeating for everyone. The big breeding fish won't be able to reproduce and produce further year classes. As long as every one is sensible about what they take it will conserve the ecology for everyone to enjoy. Just because English anglers choose to observe catch and release it shouldn't be derided.

The biggest threat to the fish of the Ebro and segre is from the politicians in Madrid. Being so far away they cannot appreciate the money that has been brought into the area by sports fisherman from all over Europe. They have now passed laws to make the RETURN of catfish illegal and punishable with a 300-3000 Euro fine, as it is an non native species. I am disgusted by this...but then I look closer to home and we are doing the same thing.

• 5 years later...