Self Takes

Gazlaaar

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2017 at 18:58, spr1985 said:

I cheat and use phone to video the whole fiasco and then take stills from the video* 👌🏻

*not that I get to do it very often  😂😂

I do the same thing , but with an iPad attached to a Joby Grip Tight Mount mounted on a Camera Tripod .

I have a horrible feeling I have even less to take 'photos of than Spr 

:(

• 3 years later...

If you have plenty of time to invest but no cash I recommend looking at CHDK This is some free software that you can load on to most cheap Canon cameras. You just save a script on your SD card then , then when you switch on your camera it starts running that script. There are plenty of free scripts to download including several intervalometers working in various ways.

I bought a cheap Canon Ixus for £5 about 10 years ago and spent a weekend working on a script for self takes. All I have to do is switch it on, there are no settings to select, it just starts taking shots every 5 secs (programmable) in sets of three. One auto exposed, one a fixed amount under exposed and one a fixed amount over exposed. If I wanted, I could also take them alternately with and without flash. Even though I have more expensive equipment now, it is still my go to camera for selfies because there is nothing to go wrong.

2 hours ago, yonny said:

If it's new I'd return it mate. An intervalometer makes life so much easier.

I’ve had it for about a year now mate, I’m sick of taking mat shots when nobody’s with me or on the lake, that’s why I decided to look into it now. I was reading Terry Hearns book where he says he attached a cork ball onto a hook box then used his knee to press a remote control that he placed in the hook box, I may have to try something like this. 

10 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

I’ve just downloaded this on my iPhone, it should make things easier

It works as a remote but it's a bit of a faff. Make sure you set everything up prior to getting the kipper out of the water (so sort your settings and take some dummy shots holding a bag or something). Get the shots perfect then get mr carp out for the real shots.

It can be set to take multiple shots but it works like a self-timer rather than an intervalometer i.e. it cannot adapt to the given shot. It'll only use the settings you've already put in place with the trail shots.

I use it solely to get the shots off my camera through WiFi.

I do think there are better options out there for you. There is a Canon Bluetooth remote that could can be held or placed under the knee and will focus/adapt to each shot as you click away. Might be worth a Google.

I think the remote will probably be the better option after having a look, im going to have a good mess about with it over the next few weeks and see what quality of picture I get. I may even think about selling it and buying a new one if they don’t turn out so well. Do you know any good value cameras mate? I’m pretty new to the photography thing.

You could get a remote from amazon for not a lot, some people use them in there hand whilst holding fish, I tried using one but found it a bit tricky  ended up with an intervalometer, I know that doesn't help but I did think, if you put it in your sock under your big toe you would be able to press it OK, worth a try maybe?before selling the camera, 

Since this thread started I have been looking again at self takes again. I tend to use my phone for a lot of photos and there is an app which you can read about here which gives you both an intervalometer so no need for fancy remote triggers BUT also exposure bracketing so you can get several shots at different exposures and choose the best one. I will be testing it this weekend.

• 1 month later...
On 11/03/2021 at 11:48, Its-grim-up-north said:

Does anyone know what intervalometer I will need for a canon EOS 4000d? 

Even if your camera can't take an intervalometer, you should be able to install 'Magic Lantern' on your Canon. I have been using this for a few years now and it is absolutely spot on. It is essentially 3rd party software that you install on your memory card and it opens up a load of extra features on your camera such as an intervalometer amongst other things.

I generally use a 50mm equivalent lens (so 35mm on a crop sensor camera like yours) and use the aperture priority setting with an Av of around 5.6 and let the camera decide shutter speed for me. (this is obviously variable depending on light levels but is a good starting point). I set magic lantern's intervalometer to take a picture every 4 seconds and autofocus before every shot. I then go back through and delete all but the decent ones.

One thing that is super helpful is having the twisty/flip screen so that I can line up the shot before getting the fish on the mat but I don't think the 4000d has that feature.

A couple of example pics done with this method and an old/cheap Canon 600d with kit lens below.

This video (from 4mins in) should give enough info to get you started with magic lantern. 

Splinter - 19lb.JPG

gru.JPG