All Round Rig

Mr TightLines

I'm not new to carp fishing, but new to bigger venunes and complicated At the moment I use a very simple rig show here if you click the link provided however the hair rig is made with braid. 

http://www.masterblanker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/beginners011_resize.jpg

I don't fish huge venues, I'm moving into the size of a few acres, nothing to big. I won't be casting large distances, more so a maximum of probably 20 metres. Basically I've read and heard of loads of rigs such as chod rigs and helicopter rigs but what I'm looking for is a safe (fish welfare) and effective rig which can be used on most venues and have a great chance of catching. When you guys suggest rigs, could you please provide a picture so I know what is looks like which includes how the lead is attached etc etc. Basically an idiots guide to tying that rig.

Much appreciated!

i use to rigs which are both very effective on most waters and also very simple to tie :P

wafter/boilie bait rig

this one is my wafter or boilie rig, when i use a wafter with it i always put a small shot on the hair cuz i use a bit of fake buoyant corn with it. i use a light in lead and a anti tangle sleeve so it never tangles when casting, i prefer inline leads because i find them better for casting and playing the fish. i strip back a bit of the coated braid after the shrink tubing. i use a size 6 curve shank hook and a small bit of shrink tubing because this makes the rig have great hook holds and never come out. there is a rig ring o the shank of the hook to make a blow back effect.

multi rig

this is the pop up rig i use, a multi rig. this is surprisingly simple to tie and a very effective rig that has amazing hook holds which the hook never comes out. the hook is attached by a loop so then there is a tag end which is where i place my split shot so the rig sits upright in the water and then has a very aggressive curve from the shrink tubing and curved hook. again i use i inline lead and a anti tangle sleeve.

I'll second that. However for weedy / choddy venues, or casting at showing fish, "ready made" Chod Rigs fished naked style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZbO_MuIVKE.

I agree mr Stickmix (although that video could be accused of being a tiny bit misleading due to recommending minimum 20lb leaders before the naked Chod was even mentioned ?) in 'choddy' situations but for a general all round rig ?

I'm not new to carp fishing, but new to bigger venunes and complicated At the moment I use a very simple rig show here if you click the link provided however the hair rig is made with braid. 

http://www.masterblanker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/beginners011_resize.jpg

I don't fish huge venues, I'm moving into the size of a few acres, nothing to big. I won't be casting large distances, more so a maximum of probably 20 metres. Basically I've read and heard of loads of rigs such as chod rigs and helicopter rigs but what I'm looking for is a safe (fish welfare) and effective rig which can be used on most venues and have a great chance of catching. When you guys suggest rigs, could you please provide a picture so I know what is looks like which includes how the lead is attached etc etc. Basically an idiots guide to tying that rig.

Much appreciated!

Basic, simple and will work.

It has caught fish for many years, and will continue to catch.

There is only one thing I would change, either attaching the lead on a run ring, or instead of using a single rubber bead to protect the know I would use two.

The reason for this is so the lead does not rub against the hook link, which may cause it to break over time

I agree mr Stickmix (although that video could be accused of being a tiny bit misleading due to recommending minimum 20lb leaders before the naked Chod was even mentioned ?) in 'choddy' situations but for a general all round rig ?

Yeah, the video was just to show how simple the naked chod can be, the choddy part of the video starts at about 1 minute 10 seconds in.

I believe the chod rig is more of a general all round rig than the one illustrated. That rig is perfect on a clear bottom, but can you be confident that it is fishing on a dirty or weedy bottom?

The point of the choddy is that it can be be cast virtually anywhere, over any bottom and still be fishing.

The point of the choddy is that it can be be cast virtually anywhere, over any bottom and still be fishing.

Disagree. That may be the point of the rig for less experienced anglers (the chuck-it-out-and-have-a-beer brigade) . For those that are experienced, the point of the rig is to fish spots that cannot be fished effectively with more conventional rigs. It can be used to chuck at fish showing over an area of unknown bottom but that is a secondary purpose.

I would never dream of putting a choddy on a clear area.

Edited by yonny

A clear area, whether sand, gravel or clay, basically any hard area, I would avoid the bomb on the end of the line if I possibly could, much preferring my standard running or semi-fixed pendant leads.

The helicopter set-ups do cast better for long distance fishing, so if I was casting maximum distance I may consider that lead arrangement. Even then, I am still convinced that you need a tight line.

I'm certainly not convinced of that .yes it will be fishing pretty much whereever you sling it but i couldnt call the Chod a 'general all-round rig.

It was designed , i believe , for fishong in silt , and i have used it quite a bit in recent years when Fishing a lake covered in a thin layer of filamous algae as i think it gives a pretty good presentation in cases like that .

However as somebody else has said , i wouldnt dream of using it over clean gravel and would be very dubious of its use in heavy weed especially the lakebed to surface stuff.

A search of the forum will bring up good alternatives including a paternoster-type rig i believe , that i know Nick and CM to name but two , are big fans of .

Imo there is no general purpose rig like a simple standard kk rig in various materials , on a running set up (:)) , simply because of its versatility and its ability to be used for upteen different applications with a tiny tweak to suit conditions .

I have used the Choddy a lot over the years but because conditions dictated it , in my opinion of course :wink: