My back garden swim

I have the stratford avon canal behind my house in birmingham, gonna prebait and try get a carp out of here heard theres some big girls but never ever fished! if not theres a fair few pike to go for aswel! Hope you like the pictures! all i have to do is walk top of my garden jump the fence and im there :D

IMG_5317_zpsrxo1hh1a.jpg

IMG_5316_zpsspszayt1.jpg

IMG_5318_zpsfos5x9jp.jpg

Wish me luck will take some hours! 

Jack.

prebait the hell out of it Jack, fantastic looking water, you lucky chap.

Im going to mate cant find any info at all though atleast not recent anyway there was some big lumps years ago but i literally never see anyone fishing ! even for the silvers and theres some good roach.

Ill be prebaiting and spending a few nights down there wish me luck :P

Jack.

Blimey, that looks excellent. Is that bit of water accessible to the public or will you have it all to your self? 

Its accessible to the public its not far from a road bridge/access you get the odd dog walker but thats about it havnt seen any one fishing here in ages.

If it was my private canal , and unless somebody clocks you baiting up it will possible remain so , i would be tempted to start with the above and then change the Boilie content from chops to halves and then whole Boilies over a period of time .

Problem i find with Canals is knowing whether the bait is being eaten , maybe somebody else has had a similar problem ?

I like the look of that far margin :wink:

Personally wouldn't put any pellets or boilies in at first , you could just end up with a pile of rotting old bait right where you want to create your long term feeding spot .

hemp & corn would be my first approach at least smaller species will feed on it and keep it fresh , this will attract local specimens to the area too .

Once you've caught a carp or two then perhaps switch to boilies etc .

good luck :wink:

Jack if you haven't already started baiting up I would strongly suggest heavily raking a good size area first then baiting as Chillfactor suggests.

I've done this myself in an area that you could only get to easily with a barge (Too long a walk from the bridges with gear!) and I made a rake out of old bits of metal, raked the hell out of a length of margin so there was a discernible change in the depth and feel of the bottom, then sprayed it with corn, layers pellet and maples every time we went past on the boat.

I fished it 2 evenings well into dark before this as it looked good, but no sign of any carp. There were fish on it every time we went there after the raking and baiting. Nothing big by todays standards, but canal carping is not easy due to location, so even a double should be treasured, they are as close as you can get to wild river fish.

Thanks for all the replies lads theres been some could imput and comments by everyone thanks, i have chosen a spot directly under a tree on the far bank in the picture showing straight ahead, ive been feeding little bits of meat and corn done this 4 times in the past 3 weeks, will get the rake out tonight and rake the far bank where ive chosen, may get a couple of bags of gravel from work aswell to throw in, will be fishing next week atleast 3 nights in the evening will let you know how it goes! thanks again lads Jack.

As it's at the back of your house I would regularly run a lure up and and down your little stretch too ,once you start prebaiting hemp & corn you will definitely attract silvers and the pike/ zander won't be far behind them .

as mooseman says having a rake about is also a good tip will clear any unwanted snags or at least let you know if there are any to worry about. You won't get quite the same effect as he did from the boat but it will help in the long run .

• 2 weeks later...