Well, It's been a while!

fantasticmrfox

Hello Guys! 

Well its been a few years since I browsed the webpages of this here forum, Loving the new look by the way! 

due to lack of decent employment, relocating a few times and many other hurdles life has thrown up, I've not managed to get on the bank for a VERY long time! 

Safe to say now I'm stable and itching to get back on the bank, Rod Licence renewed, Tackle cleaned, replenished and sorted and getting a 48 hour session in next weekend at Dog Lane, near Napton, anyone know it?

I've had a browse on the web but not really come across much in the way of recent information, has anyone on here visited recently and able to share a few tips/pointers/general information? 

How are you all getting on this year? will be good to hear from a few of the old faces (Welder, salokcinnodrog, carefulcarping and the like) as well as some of the new members to the forum. 

I'll update you all when I'm back from my first session this year, hopefully with a fairly good catch report :wink: 

Until then, have fun guys! 

Mr Fox!

Hello Guys!

Well its been a few years since I browsed the webpages of this here forum, Loving the new look by the way!

due to lack of decent employment, relocating a few times and many other hurdles life has thrown up, I've not managed to get on the bank for a VERY long time!

Safe to say now I'm stable and itching to get back on the bank, Rod Licence renewed, Tackle cleaned, replenished and sorted and getting a 48 hour session in next weekend at Dog Lane, near Napton, anyone know it?

I've had a browse on the web but not really come across much in the way of recent information, has anyone on here visited recently and able to share a few tips/pointers/general information?

How are you all getting on this year? will be good to hear from a few of the old faces (Welder, salokcinnodrog, carefulcarping and the like) as well as some of the new members to the forum.

I'll update you all when I'm back from my first session this year, hopefully with a fairly good catch report :wink:

Until then, have fun guys!

Mr Fox!

Hello mate welcome back , yep Carpbell is our Dog lane & Barston correspondent .

He'll be along eventually :)

Hia, Dog Lane hay, cracking venue nice and peaceful, one little trick that works, go look at the shallow end of the lake and you will see a big in-let pipe, walk behind that and up the bank and there is an open weir that funnels water from the match lake into the specimen lake and then into the pleasure lake, drop your loose feed into the weir and it will come out of the in-let pipe into the specimen lake, fish your rigs in front of the pipe.

If you want to fish for the cats try really old maggots, real smelly ones that are past their best, never tried it myself but the locals say it works.

Tinned meat is real good for the sturgeon and there are some real big sturgeon in there.

The lake itself is pretty much level and featureless on the bottom, so if you do a few days you can feed any swim and draw them in.

I have found it is not really worth doing day ticket fishing as they want day tickets to finish by about 7pm and they don't do a day ticket on a Friday, likes to keep the pegs free for weekend anglers that do the whole weekend.

A few from Dog Lane :mrgreen:
A nice Leather carp or is it a Mirror?
065_zpszzeoigyu.jpg
One I had with Eddie stood behind me, so I done a quick floor photo and popped it back, it was a real hot day.
045_zpsgxrfplbd.jpg

This is about the largest mirror I had from there, had some nice commons too, but the pictures have got mixed up with the Barston commons, so I'm not too sure which is which
038_zpsdtcorsth.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys!!

Snowmansteveo, that'll be me! I'll be taking the feeder rod with me this weekend :wink:

Glad to hear a fee of the old names are still active!

Thanks for the useful advice carpbell, this'll be the first time I've been but going for 48 hours so should have a fun session on the specimen lake!

I'll give the weir tactic a try if I can get close to it, as it's a bonk holiday, I'm guessing it'll be pretty busy!

I'll let you all know how I get on when I'm back :)

Thanks for all the replies guys!!

Snowmansteveo, that'll be me! I'll be taking the feeder rod with me this weekend :wink:

Glad to hear a fee of the old names are still active!

Thanks for the useful advice carpbell, this'll be the first time I've been but going for 48 hours so should have a fun session on the specimen lake!

I'll give the weir tactic a try if I can get close to it, as it's a bonk holiday, I'm guessing it'll be pretty busy!

I'll let you all know how I get on when I'm back :)

Dan,welcome back amongst us my old mate! It certainly has been a while......

When you do Dog Lane get back to me please as I'm toying with the idea of towing our caravan to the site for a long weekend and getting some fishing done.

Ian

Sorry I wasn't able to update from the bank guys, I had no signal!

So I arrived at the lake at 3, had a little wander around the lake, which was pretty busy and found what I thought was a nice swim, unloaded the car and away my lift went.

A few minutes later Im told that I can't fish from there as it's no longer a designated peg and I have to find somewhere else, but every peg was full, not exactly off to a good start!

I get talking with a few anglers and find out a few will be leaving in a couple of hours, agreed with the chap on peg one that when he left I could have the peg and set up my bivvy not far from the swim and proceeded to set up.

A short while later, he pulls his rods in and starts loading his trolley and tells me the swim is all mine and he wishes me luck as he's not had a bite there all the time he's been, so I through my rod out into the margin and before I can even set the bail arm, I'm in!!

Was really not prepared, didn't have my landing net set up or anything, luckily the chap on peg 2 came over with his as he heard the commotion and helped me net my first fish of the session!

I'll carry on the full write up later, but for now, I had 6 fish, a new Pb and my first 20! All round, a great session!!

Ok, was going to edit my last post and continue on there, but I can't figure out how to edit :/ 

Where was I?

Oh yeah... 

So around an hour after I landed my first fish of the session,

Fishy%201.jpg

I've managed to set up properly and get the kettle on, and my left hand rod shot off again! 

This is where Rookie error number 2 comes in, I'd left my landing net in the water, but on the wrong side of my pod, so I grab the handle whilst trying to ensure I didn't snag my right hand rod and lift up, my landing net collapses under the weight and folds up on its self, so here I am with fish number 2, having to call Tom from peg 2 over to help me net this one too! 

Fish%202.jpg

2 hours later and I catch the smallest fish in the lake, must have only been 2lbs! but I'm now sitting on 3 fish in just as many hours and the chap who left peg one (and did a fine job baiting it up for me, thanks Kieran :wink: ) didn't catch anything in that time! 

All goes quiet from here on out, until 3am. 

I'm not sure why, but I woke up all of a sudden with a strange feeling I needed to check my rods, put my shoes and coat on, open the Bivvy, step outside as my alarm (left hand rod again) starts to blip, then a couple of blips before a screaming run, a good 15 minute fight and I land number four, reset my rods and head back to bed, and all is quiet until the morning.

so Sunday morning arrives and brings me the highlight of my trip, my new PB and first 20! 

Again, my left hand rod just tucked up against the reed bed in the margin with a handful of freebies around goes off on a slow but steady run, I strike the rod and Instantly wake the fish up, I fought this thing, having it strip line off the reel at what seemed like 100Mph and only just clawing back what it takes before it darts off again, for what was probably 20 minutes but seemed like an hour! I get it to the edge of the net and can tell instantly, this is a big fish, possibly a new personal best! 

Now the scales I brought off fleabay on a mega low budget (£4) are probably not very accurate and I weighed this fish in my net, which I weighed again after I returned the fish (at 2lb) so I'm rounding down a little due to inaccuracy, but when these scales read 24,87lb, I was overjoyed! I've finally broken the 20lb barrier!! 

I put the fish back in the net, put the net in the lake and held it there until my Girlfriend got back to take a photo for me (on my phone as hers had died, you;ll notice the decrease in image quality) 

The%20Big%20One.jpg

I land my last fish a few hours after that and all goes quiet from there on out, I brought my rods in Sunday night to get some proper sleep (which wasn't easy laying on the floor) and I put them out the following morning but nothing for the last day.

I'm scratching my head wondering what I could have done differently to keep the activity in my swim, but I think I may have put out too much bait, I'm not sure, Eddie, the bailiff of the lake said no one ever does that well on peg one and wasn't surprised it died off on the Sunday evening/Monday, but I'm sure I could have done something else to increase productivity. 

All in all, a productive session and a great learning curve, I've identified what I need to get for next time, how I can be better organised, take less and enjoy myself more...

LEAVE THE GIRLFRIEND AT HOME!! :wink:

Mr Fox

Panoramic%20of%20my%20swim.jpg

Edited by fantasticmrfox

Was going to say you would be queuing for a peg on a bank holiday Friday, it's well known for it, didn't want to put you off though, it's a nice place and run well, they don't let it get too packed, once the pegs are full they stop letting anglers on and as you have seen there is plenty of room for a few more pegs.

Shame they don't allow dogs around the pool anymore, I took mine up last year, don't now what's happened since, Eddie used to come over and call the dog over for a fuss and to check out if it's friendly and not a barker.

Well done, if you ever do go up and it is full, Napton reservoir is near by and does night fishing

Nice job! :D

You did really well, had a good trip, new PB.

Some swims have a tendency to die after a few fish. The disturbance of playing so many means it's probable they just moved out, so nothing you could have done would have got them back in a hurry.