Withy Pool Rig Mouth Damage

jontain

Hi all.

Just wanted your thoughts on the withy pool rig. Tied up a couple a few months back. Have had 3 fish on them so far but the last fish suffered torn tissue on the bottom of the mouth (inside by about an inch). I am slightly apprehensive to use it again because of this as I played the fish in gently, it looks as though the hook may have slipped (barbless) and has torn from the initial entry point.

I gave the wound a liberal coating of mouth treatment but I wasn't overly happy with the level of damage. Should got a picture of damage but wanted to get him back and recovering ASAP.

The other takes on this rig nailed them right in the bottom lip rather than inside the mouth and resulted in no damage at all.

Thoughts?

There is a barbless only rule on my lake but i just completely ignore it .

Haha, I think you would struggle to get away with it on this lake as every time I've been the balif comes round for a chin wag! Also he brings luck so would likely end up having to unhook a fish in front of him lol

did you need to use a Withey, its a heavy weed rig and its still winter, not much weed, or have you been reading to many mags, Jonno.

Guilty as charge me laud!

I wanted to test it out as it looks a lot like chod rig with a higher curve but I wanted to see the difference in takes/hookholds. I had it in mind for my difficult syndicate which has more than its fair share of the green stuff.

I like to test changes out on my nice easy park lake as I can see what does and doesn't work rather than sitting on my hands wondering if the rig is fishing or if the fish have moved on.

Edited by jontain

Oh really? I did scale it all down as there aren't many larger fish in the lake but I didn't realise these popup style rigs weren't suited to the smaller stock?

I have heard that the 360 rig, which has received a lot of attention in the press, can be a death trap for the smaller fish but there was no explanation as to why?

Oh really? I did scale it all down as there aren't many larger fish in the lake but I didn't realise these popup style rigs weren't suited to the smaller stock?

I have heard that the 360 rig, which has received a lot of attention in the press, can be a death trap for the smaller fish but there was no explanation as to why?

. There will be others that disagree I'm sure,sure there are some that use the chod anywhere. As for the 360 that is pretty much universally classed as a big fish rig :)

you must have missed the disagreement I had with a couple of lads on another thread, the weight on a take sits to close to the head of the fish, battering around the head on playing, schools out on this one Jon but personally, I wouldn't use them.

Ah I see, to be fair my chods are usually fished naked with 4-6 inch of tubing between the bottom bead and the lead. Not only has this reduced hook pulls but also moves the lead away from the fish during the fight. On this particular lake with the small fish and deep silt I tend to use no more than a 1.5 oz lead so hoping that the lead doesn't cause any damage, I can't say I have ever noticed any but I will keep this in mind mate.

Depends , to me , on the make up of the lakebed.

The lake i fished for ages has gravel , silt , and a tiny bit of proper weed but EVERYWHERE has a layer of Filamous Algae over it of 1-5/2 inches .

I know it doesnt sound a lot but you cant buy a bite with a true bottom bait fir love nor money .

You have to use a Wafter or Pop up every time .

Yes if the lakebed wasn't clean enough for a bottom bait then i'd use a pop up,reckon I'd still probably use the same pop up flavour as my free offerings though :)

How many food source flavour matching pop ups REALLY match the bottom baits though ?

Of the 3 "food source" boilies that i have used since i have been targetting Carp specifically , i have used matching pop ups , wafters , hardened hookbaits both round and dumbell , glugged and unglugged and although they may give off the same signals as the standard boilies ( and we take that for granted because the bait firms tell us that ) but NONE of em LOOK the same .

Do they ? And im talking Premier CC Moore and Essential here too .

Not that its got anything to do with Withy pool rigs :)

How many food source flavour matching pop ups REALLY match the bottom baits though ?

Of the 3 "food source" boilies that i have used since i have been targetting Carp specifically , i have used matching pop ups , wafters , hardened hookbaits both round and dumbell , glugged and unglugged and although they may give off the same signals as the standard boilies ( and we take that for granted because the bait firms tell us that ) but NONE of em LOOK the same .

Do they ? And im talking Premier CC Moore and Essential here too .

Not that its got anything to do with Withy pool rigs :)

Seen some mainline baits that were a pretty decent match,might have been new grange if my memory serves (which it often don't) apologies to the op for straying from the withy rig :) Edit to say that my eyes ain't the best but they looked an ok match :) Edited by bivvystreet