bite indication (convert)

dollydumptruck

hi all/

i did a little experiment on bite indication on my fishery. i use a pod mostly and lead clips, i usually fish semi slack lines with slight drop on bobbins, and always with a back lead.

i was putting my usual set up, against a running inline setup. the results shocked me. 

i walked the lead systems down the bank 50yards, and put them side by side. i was able to move the fixew lead system around 7-8 feet in all directions, without a single bleep on the alarms.however the running lead system gave indications on the alarms after only 4-5 inches.

i know which 1 ill be using from now on

your thoughts most welcome

cheers

Simples!

Running leads and slack lines

Have a look at https://forum.carp.com/topic/20857-running-rigs/?hl=%2Brunning+%2Bleads#entry249447and also go down to past hot topics to 'tight versus slack lines' thread.

You may find them interesting, as I think would a search for any of th running lead threads.

I'd add the links, but with the ipad with multiple pages open it kept on returning to the header page of this thread and deleting the links I had added

hi all/

i did a little experiment on bite indication on my fishery. i use a pod mostly and lead clips, i usually fish semi slack lines with slight drop on bobbins, and always with a back lead.

i was putting my usual set up, against a running inline setup. the results shocked me. 

i walked the lead systems down the bank 50yards, and put them side by side. i was able to move the fixew lead system around 7-8 feet in all directions, without a single bleep on the alarms.however the running lead system gave indications on the alarms after only 4-5 inches.

i know which 1 ill be using from now on

your thoughts most welcome

cheers

You will find that line in water will act very differently to just being sat on the ground , there are loads of threads on lead set ups and loads of varying opinions , have a search .

Does anyone use a back lead when really they'd prefer not to? I mean, I fished one Thursday because there was too much risk of a fish on the other rod running through the line at the net. Not sure the answer otherwise?

I fished FLYING backleads years ago when fishing tightish lines in an attempt to create a "safe" zone :) around my end tackle but I don't really know whether it really acheived anything and I don't need to worry now as i fish slack :wink:

Never really understood the theory behind standard backleads tbh , always seems like an angle in the mainline that may or may not hinder bite indication .

I'm sure other members will have done tests proving or disproving the theory .

I definitley wouldn't use one with a lead clip set up . The Carp can move my rig far enough with no indication already :) :) without helping em .

As for merely keeping the other rods line out of harms way , I just play and steer the fish away and land it elsewhere rather than in my pod/bankstick area .

Alright Tim. Yeah i agree from a recent experience that a backlead seems to hinder indication. Trouble is I was fishing one rod only a few rod lengths out, so a fish near the bank had loads of fight left in it. Swim was narrow and Couldn't guarantee I could keep fish away if it ran.

I fished FLYING backleads years ago when fishing tightish lines in an attempt to create a "safe" zone :) around my end tackle but I don't really know whether it really acheived anything and I don't need to worry now as i fish slack :wink:

Never really understood the theory behind standard backleads tbh , always seems like an angle in the mainline that may or may not hinder bite indication .

I'm sure other members will have done tests proving or disproving the theory .

I definitley wouldn't use one with a lead clip set up . The Carp can move my rig far enough with no indication already :) :) without helping em .

As for merely keeping the other rods line out of harms way , I just play and steer the fish away and land it elsewhere rather than in my pod/bankstick area .

I tried back leads years ago myself, and actually found more problems if a fish ran through a back leaded line while playing it. The back lead would often end tangled up around the line I was playing the fish on, answer was avoid back leads, and if a fish ran through the other (tight) line(s), work out whether over or under and move accordingly, rod under the other rod occasionally.

I do occasionally use a bit of putty above or at the top of the tubing if using it to make sure that the last bit of line is pinned down near the end tackle. A decent sized run ring will also slide over it!

Since fishing running leads I don't worry about fish picking up the other line. I actually play fish from the side of the take, or if the middle rod, step into the gap between the two outer rods and play from there. I also take the landing net with me, and often have the pole resting against my non rod arm shoulder or even against the outer rod as I play a fish. Sounds strange, but I can reel in around the landing net pole.

hi all/  

i always use the backleads on the water i fish because

1 = there are swans, geese, grebes ect, but the swans are the worst, especially the younguns, ever since i backleaded, no more bird problem.

2= the water i fish goes from shallow to deep in a short distance, i  dont want my line arrowing right thru my swim as i am never fishing more than 50 yards.

3= i have also found i get a better indication in the way i set it up, if after i cast out and sink the line, then drop the backlead right under the rod tip, then set the buttbangers with a small drop, at the same time getting a little tension from rod tip to backlead, so my rods will be slightly bent downwards. this now means my line is under tension from my rig to my alarm. 

any minute movement at the rig end and i know about it. give it a try you may be surprised i know i was. but it works.

cheers all

• 2 weeks later...

I always use backleads. I don't find that it hinders bite indication but then How would I know?

The lake I fish the majority of the time is quite tight where the swims are concerned so you don't really have the opportunity to play the fish away from the other lines, therefore I find it much better to use backleads.

With reference to the post earlier about the Ian Russell video dismissing the slack line theory, there is also a Nash one that does the same thing.