Pallatrax GRIPZ hooks, Innovation or Gimmick?

• 5 years later...
45 minutes ago, Tiddles Tim said:

I'll stick to what I know works, Gardner talin tips for me and ESP Hooks. Both proven and ultra reliable, frankly I think gripz are a pointless exercise. 

Few people on here have used em to good results, even in France... Each to there own I guess.... Nash Claw for all my rigs. 

Edited by Highy

I fished a lake in Somerset recently (Walton which is part of Festival Carp Fisheries) and found the following when checking the rules;

We do not allow Pallatrax GRIP Hooks to be used

Most of the other were fairly reasonable (other than not being able to use a leader) and the one about not touching the electric fence made me chuckle. I had to check the hooks out to see why they were banned but can't really see it (although there is a barbless rule.) Most Committees are full of people who think it their duty to impose rules on you but most rarely go fishing anyway! My fishing mate quite often suggests places to go and if the rules seem picky and dream't up by old men (who are troubled by wind!), I don't bother to go there.

My local club had a barbless rule for years but the damage being done was dreadful. Luckily they have seen the light and allow micro barbs. At least once they go in, they tend to stay in and do not rotate with every twist and turn of the fish but the damage has already been done.

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2020 at 13:51, Golden Paws said:

I fished a lake in Somerset recently (Walton which is part of Festival Carp Fisheries) and found the following when checking the rules;

We do not allow Pallatrax GRIP Hooks to be used

Most of the other were fairly reasonable (other than not being able to use a leader) and the one about not touching the electric fence made me chuckle. I had to check the hooks out to see why they were banned but can't really see it (although there is a barbless rule.) Most Committees are full of people who think it their duty to impose rules on you but most rarely go fishing anyway! My fishing mate quite often suggests places to go and if the rules seem picky and dream't up by old men (who are troubled by wind!), I don't bother to go there.

My local club had a barbless rule for years but the damage being done was dreadful. Luckily they have seen the light and allow micro barbs. At least once they go in, they tend to stay in and do not rotate with every twist and turn of the fish but the damage has already been done.

These are one of the hooks I've started using on a weedy barbless venue, on the face of it I think they are great and cannot see any downside, but if that changes I will update it on here 👍

Clubs hey 🤦‍♂️

• 1 year later...
On 06/07/2022 at 17:27, Highy said:

Did anyone actually do a review on here about these ?...

I did use them on Bluebell, landed fish good hook holds - no issues, the only reason i'm not using them regular is that my multi rig just seems perfect with a choddy hook.

They are sharp and strong and stay in better than a pure barbless would - which I guess may be why some venues chose to ban them?