Opinions, please.

Let me set out my stall. For carp fishing I use three Greys Prodigy's in 3lb test. Some years ago I had them customised with full Portuguese cork handles, Fuji reel seats and stainless butt caps. They have 40mm butt rings which have suited me with the use of Shimano 10000 XTEA's and/or Diawa Regal Plus 5000 BRi big pits.

I've recently bought three Shimano Big Baitrunner Longcast reels which I just love to bits. Smooth? Powerful? Well, yes. Large? Oh yes!

I'm wondering if I'd benefit by having the butt rings on my rods changed for 50mm ones to aid and abet the new reels. I'd like the option of adding distance when fishing places like Horseshoe and Sandhurst while remaining suited to more intimate venues.

Fosters of Birmingham offer the service of butt ring replacement and they're just up the road so not a logistics problem.

What do we think, gentlemen? Will the existing rings suit or is there benefit in changing them?

Ian

There must be some truth to the fact that 50mm butt rings give you more distance to yojhr casting.

I understand what Chilly is saying about only getting the full benefit when maxing out your casting; but if you've got big reels then I would think that a 50mm butt ring would help the line go through the rings smoother and with less friction (Albeit minimal) and allow you to cast long distance with slightly less effort, so I'd go for it.

It will help tune the rod to the reels, in my opinion.

I have to agree with Phil. Being on the same tuition as him and listening carefully to every word terry spoke.

I have the same rods, which I use with infinity reels. I was just 2 yards short of 160 with them. I honestly don't think having 50mm butt rings would have got me those extra 2 yards. Improving my technique would though!

To get the full benefit, as chillfactor says, you would need to replace all rings. I think just changing the butt ring would result in frap-ups between the butt and second rings (the line would leave the butt ring at a faster rate, but the second ring would not be able to keep up the pace).

I also think removing the existing varnish / resin and whipping could possibly damage the blank, (especially toward the tip) if you were to replace all rings.

Given the cost of replacing the full set, the risk of damage, the frap-ups if you only replace the butt ring and the fact that in the last three or four years carbon / blank technology has moved on at a fair pace, newmarkets' advice of a new set of rods would probably be best policy.

Hi Chaps,  I also use 3lb original prodigy carp rods which have 40mm butt rings.

Just to support the other members views I also have no issue casting these 150 yards plus with my Entoh's.

I do know that a friend had the but rings changed on his prodigy's and it made no difference to the distance he could cast as he may have been at his abilities maximum..... but said that they felt different, so to support CM's comment on balance I would not take the risk and leave them....

surely you need to step all the rings up along the rod though ? Not just the butt ring .

Typical 50mm sets

50mm

40 mm

30 mm

25 mm

20 mm

16 mm

by not changing them all could cause more problems with the risk of cracking off on the 2nd eye, as the bigger loop of line runs the risk of frapping around the smaller 2nd eye .

Two very good points.

I didn't realise that the size of all of the rings changed on a rod with 50mm rings :oops:

Two very good points.

I didn't realise that the size of all of the rings changed on a rod with 50mm rings :oops:

Me neither .

Ian mate , I dunno how much you have spent customising your rods so far and it's not important to you but I know you love 'em as they are mate .

Leave 'em B stop thinking too much and carry on enjoying your fishing like you do :wink:

Let me set out my stall. For carp fishing I use three Greys Prodigy's in 3lb test. Some years ago I had them customised with full Portuguese cork handles, Fuji reel seats and stainless butt caps. They have 40mm butt rings which have suited me with the use of Shimano 10000 XTEA's and/or Diawa Regal Plus 5000 BRi big pits.

I've recently bought three Shimano Big Baitrunner Longcast reels which I just love to bits. Smooth? Powerful? Well, yes. Large? Oh yes!

I'm wondering if I'd benefit by having the butt rings on my rods changed for 50mm ones to aid and abet the new reels. I'd like the option of adding distance when fishing places like Horseshoe and Sandhurst while remaining suited to more intimate venues.

Fosters of Birmingham offer the service of butt ring replacement and they're just up the road so not a logistics problem.

What do we think, gentlemen? Will the existing rings suit or is there benefit in changing them?

Ian

I use big baitrunners on my rods, which have 40mm ringing.  I cant say it has ever hindered me or caused any problems.

Me neither .

Ian mate , I dunno how much you have spent customising your rods so far and it's not important to you but I know you love 'em as they are mate .

Leave 'em B stop thinking too much and carry on enjoying your fishing like you do :wink:

Good advice methinks.

If you're happy and you know it, leave em' alone...

If you're happy and you know it

and your really dont want to blow it

Yay!

congrats on those reels Ian, I think they are Shimanos finest, as for the rings, you need balance, I wouldn't change them, you may alter the action of the rod, I haveGreys X FLITE Plus 50s, built for the task and suitably ringed all the way, worth considering a purchase mate.

According to the rod builder I have had contact with changing the ring size has no effect on action or TC of the rod. There will be a slight imperceptible change moving from single leg to double leg rings.

50mm butts are a fashion thing. Unless you're casting 190 yards the really make no difference.

sorry to disagree with you Ross, but you must consider the line following the arc of the rod, both are being pulled into a circle, by fitting deeper rings or further stand offs the line achieves the quarter test arc before the rod, thus altering the TC, single leg guides will do the same thing, it will soften the curve, the addition of a larger butt ring without changing the rest would unbalance the whole set up, and I doubt the line would ever touch the linings of the butt ring. Iam not a rod builder and would bow to superior knowledge, but I am a qualified engineer with a grounding in applied mathematics and I would not mislead you.

The rod builder in question is Shaun Harrison, who probably knows more than all of us put together. This was backed up by Terry Edmunds, who who isn't a rod builder but is a consultant for pretty much every rod builder out there.

I to am a qualified engineer however my speciality is building services. 

would that be Steve Harrison, with a 50 ml but ring and the other rings not changed accordingly, the line will not come into contact with the but ring and will sit centrally, this will not exert an even force on the blank effectively ruling out any bend in the butt section. IMO.

A 50mm butt ring only helps with the line leaving the spool when the rod is straight again after the cast release, don't see the relevance of the bend comment there.

Your reel will invariably sit lower than the butt ring so the line will hit the insert just fine whilst reeling in or playing a fish.

Edited by rosstheangler

Can't say butt ring and keep a straight face... Why isn't it dependant on the width of the spool, the width of the ring and the distance between them? If the spool is too wide for the ring of vice versa. Once the line is through the first one it should just fire through so if you don't have big pits the advantage of large butt rings is minimal. Feel free to ridicule, I failed physics.

The line (with forces acting on it) cause the rod to bend. 

If you hold a rod parallel to the ground the lowest point of the line will be the reel spool, then the butt ring regardless of size and then the other rings regardless of size.

Pull the line exiting the tip ring and the rod makes an arc regardless of ring size.

what worries me is if you just change the butt ring you will stand the centred line 5mm further either side off the line guides, casting not affected but rod action, the butt section will not bend, making it a two section ben, I am not a rod builder and I may be wrong.

I agree though, just to change the butt ring is lunacy.

I agree that properly graduated rings will allow minimum resistance and give the best distance but suspect the difference wants testing. I wondered about this when I was looking for reels as my rods don't have large rings. I'm not sure, 35mm? and I have 10000 size reels.