Orchid Lakes

I've fished it couple times no best pegs the best peg is ware the fish are on the day. Owner doesn't reserve pegs it's first come first serve. It's not the hardest water find the fish and keep rigs simple standard hair rig bottom baits worked for me. If it's warm when you go make sure you take some floaters.

It's nice lake well run and some nice old carp in there can get weedy in summer so be prepared for weedy conditions if you go in the warmer months.

I've fished it couple times no best pegs the best peg is ware the fish are on the day. Owner doesn't reserve pegs it's first come first serve. It's not the hardest water find the fish and keep rigs simple standard hair rig bottom baits worked for me. If it's warm when you go make sure you take some floaters.

It's nice lake well run and some nice old carp in there can get weedy in summer so be prepared for weedy conditions if you go in the warmer months.

Always good to hear someone else's perspective. Like I said, I've never been but, didn't want to spend money on it if it was true.

I've fished this place five times and i wouldnt go again.

First of all they don't pay their bayliffs. They give them free fishing. On all 5 trips I've had to orchid the bayliff has had the best beg stiched up.

There are main roads running round all sides of this lake and as its a popular bike route so be prepared to listen to sports bikes red lining all day and night. you also have to add the squealing of lorry brakes into the mix too

The pegs are very close together and waaaaay to many pegs for the acreage. The pegs are also small so a small bivvy is needed.

He charges to take your kit to the peg and throws it about like a British airways luggage handler.

For the money I'd rather go to horseshoe or bluebell

Edited by dave_3

I've fished this place five times and i wouldnt go again.

First of all they don't pay their bayliffs. They give them free fishing. On all 5 trips I've had to orchid the bayliff has had the best beg stiched up.

There are main roads running round all sides of this lake and as its a popular bike route so be prepared to listen to sports bikes red lining all day and night. you also have to add the squealing of lorry brakes into the mix too

The pegs are very close together and waaaaay to many pegs for the acreage. The pegs are also small so a small bivvy is needed.

He charges to take your kit to the peg and throws it about like a British airways luggage handler.

For the money I'd rather go to horseshoe or bluebell

How can you be sure the Bailiff was in the best peg every time Dave ?

Confused with Orchard lakes?

Just looked on Google maps, I'm sure I fished there years ago but it was called something else, I spent a lot of time fishing south of Oxford including the Thames around that area and Standlake. Back then (lates 80s early 90s), these lakes were just becoming available for fishing as the fly fishing was going down hill - happy days.

I often looked at the A34 pits but was never able to find out how to get to fish it.

Alot of the lakes at the time were trout if I remember correctly? and slowly allowed others (us plebians) to fish them.

I did do some trout fishing but I'm worse casting a fly than a feeder. I used to really enjoy tying my own flies - on the bank to match the hatch, that was good fun, trying to discern what a crumpled blob of chitin looks like when whole :lol:

maybe he is just a good angler, Dave.

Thats what i was thinking and why i asked the question .

Cant believe a lake that size only has one productive swim on a given day ?

Wish my lake was like that it'd save all the watercraft :)

Edited by newmarket

Cant believe a lake that size only has one productive swim on a given day ?

Wish my lake was like that it'd save all the watercraft :)

why not Tim if the fish are shouled up in one area it doesn't matter how big the lake is , Especially on a given day . Edited by chillfactor

why not Tim if the fish are shouled up in one area it doesn't matter how big the lake is , Especially on a given day .

More likely this time of year of course . I find lakes do always have their favoured swims though , that people tend to make a beeline for without even looking properley .

Usually where the biggies have come from previously .

The swim i fished on my last session , due to fishy activity on a very cold day , produced a 30 the day after i left it .

And i normally fish for 48 hrs as well .

My nephew and i were the only ones fishing that day and i reckon that was duly noted by somebody ....