Whats your Leadcore splicing experience?

howsey16

I understand that some people are dead against leadcore but I dont want this thread to be a debate as to whether we should use it or not.

I am just wondering.......

- Of the people who do use it, do you splice it yourself or buy the pre-made ones.

- What leadcore do you use

- Any other experiences/tips/techniques that you would like to share.

I know there are threads along the same lines but they are old and dated (2008), wanted to get a more recent thread now the market has changed.

:)

I've been using the NGT lead free leader. I find it far more supple, and just superior in every way to any leadcore I have used.......except for splicing, it's a right pain. the best needle I have found is the korda splicing, or purple needle. I have broken loads! I alway make up leaders at home, and wouldn't dream of trying on the bank!

I splice 2 to 3 inches, simple as that, no glue, no stitches, and it holds great.

One of main reasons for splicing any material is it's strength but also to allow any beads etc to pass over it with ease .

I personally like the esp needles come in packs of 3 but you will break the odd one When using them .

The Avid pin down and solar unleaded arn't to difficult to work with from my experience.

One of main reasons for splicing any material is it's strength but also to allow any beads etc to pass over it with ease .

I personally like the esp needles come in packs of 3 but you will break the odd one When using them .

The Avid pin down and solar unleaded arn't to difficult to work with from my experience.

It's just much much neater, probably stronger too. And if you are using it on a helocopter or similar rig, it's much safer as no knots for anything to pass over.

I've never used it, and that answers the question, ta :)

Ok, from someone who used to use leadcore, but no longer does so...

I used ready spliced leaders from some tackle manufacturers, and they were awful, with the splice giving way, or even the leader unravelling at the end.

So I resorted to always tying my own, either needle knot, or even leader knot over the leadcore but unlike a shock leader, no uni knot on the leader, and never had one give way, although a fast take over gravel did see the mainline give way well above it as my stop (marker) knot on the mainline later proved.