I just cant chod!

howsey16

gallery_37968_75_426342.jpg

Please help!

After wasting a full spool (a bit of an exaggeration but....) attempting to get the chod rig right, I just cant get the hook point to face down, the hook always seems to lay to the side!!!!  

I start by whipping round the hook about 10 times and then when i pass the line back through the eye it always kicks out sideways! Iv tried manipulating the line to curve in a certain way but it just doesn't like it! 

What am i doing wrong?

If you still can't get the curve right. Hold the tied rig around a round object; a pice of pipe insulation/lag is ideal. Then steam over a kettle for a short while. You can store your rigs like this as well. This will help have an ideal 'bend' to your rig. Mine are almost straight. Just a slight curve.

If you still can't get the curve right. Hold the tied rig around a round object; a pice of pipe insulation/lag is ideal. Then steam over a kettle for a short while. You can store your rigs like this as well. This will help have an ideal 'bend' to your rig. Mine are almost straight. Just a slight curve.

Where is the thread you posted with the step by step instructions Nige?

Where is the thread you posted with the step by step instructions Nige?

Can't find the one for the actual chod section but the following contains a good bit of information and ideas from a few members:

https://forum.carp.com/topic/14126-chod-chod-chodyy-chod-chods-rant-and-rigs/

It must have been a lucky one, since then the hooklength just keeps kinking when tightening the knots and the JRC stiff fluoro is not memory free. 

Its either Korda Mouthtrap or ESP Bristle for my next purchase.........

try using a knot that you dont have too much friction when tightening down like a palomar, or use plenty of lubrication. i use KY for lube er spit for lube and plenty of it, also make sure that you put equal tension on the standing and the tag ends.

I don't know if its my method of tying Palomar knots but they always look like a screwed up mess no matter how much care I take.

I just like the simple blood knot, it is fairly neat and seems to be quite strong.

Grinner is by far the neatest I can do but not the simplest! You need about 6ft of tag end! No good for Chodington!

Grange have you used both ESP and Korda?

Edited by howsey16

• 2 weeks later...

I find this "Easy Snell Knot by NetKnots" to be a little easier to tie. In the video the tag end is cut, don't cut it. At that point place your chosen rig ring, swivel or bait screw on the tag, pass it back through the hook eye, cut and blob.

Plenty of practice with ordinary mono, until you get the mechanics right, will help. No matter which knot you choose.

I find this

to be a little easier to tie. In the video the tag end is cut, don't cut it. At that point place your chosen rig ring, swivel or bait screw on the tag, pass it back through the hook eye, cut and blob.

Plenty of practice with ordinary mono, until you get the mechanics right, will help. No matter which knot you choose.

That link is dead mate