The football thread

It wasn't the fighting or anything like that steve. The effigies of David beckham hanging. What does that portray to kids???

West Ham lose at home again tomorrow and it'll be Bilic not Beckham hanging up outside the ground Nige .

And it won't be an effigy lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I see the Payet love affair is over.......

Let him rot in the reserves,easy for me to say tbh.

I agree mate.

Nobody had heard of him before later season.

He was nowhere near playing for france and it was thanks to joining West ham that he was able to go to the euros.

Now he thinks he is Billy big spuds.

Mufty,

he won't be getting paid. West Ham can fine him two weeks wages for each misdemeanour, so as long as he fails to train and play, they can keep fining him. There are reports that we are going to bid for him, but we've already got enough potential bad eggs. I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club. And at 29 no one is going to pay£40m for him. He might only have 2-3 good seasons left in him.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed watching Man City vs Swansea this  morning, Gabriel Jesus' pair of goals, (the winner with only 2 minutes remaining) prompted me to look up player's salaries.  Wow.  Today is football day in the US as well, their National Football League has the championship final between the New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons.  The game (known as the Super Bowl) attracts huge television audiences and big corporations pay millions for advertising, ($5 million per 30 second ad) and the ads are almost as popular as the game.  Traditionally there is entertainment at half-time, again almost as popular as the game itself.  Lady Gaga is the headliner this year.  Another vital component in Super Bowl Sunday is snacks.  I'm going to bake bacon-wrapped chicken drumettes that have been marinating in spices and garlic all morning, and maybe deep fry some mushrooms and chips.  Nick, are you going to watch Super Bowl this year?  I see it comes on at 11:30 your time (correct me if I'm wrong), so shouldn't keep you up past 2 or 3 AM. :)