Carp Gear

I used to hold Korda gear (and still have a fair bit left over) problem was trying to keep everything that everybody wanted when I had to buy in bulk and everyone wanted to buy one packet. There was also a strange phenomenon where people seemed to feel that if it was local (so you had already paid freight etc etc to have it in the country) that it should somehow be cheaper? than in the shops in the UK?????

I still sell Free Spirit rods though, have limited Korda gear still available and also sell boilies.

If you are looking for tackle resources, I would recommend either 

Johnson Ross (great bunch of guys and happy to help when you want to put together some gear and want to be informed of what works with what, also happy to do a deal on larger purchases

Tacklebox.co.uk great website when you know what you want, very quick rarely takes more than a week to get here (downside is the price as it is always RRP and freight is not cheap, upside though is speed, i've had gear here in my had in four days before)

Ted Carter great for bulky items as they offer freight free (YES FREIGHT FREE!!!!!!!) to Australia when the purchase is above a certain threshold (threshold ranges depending on the time of year.) not the quickest and can take time for them to get all your order items in, but as long as you keep in contact with them it will get here and it will be FREIGHT FREE!!!!!)

All of the above will remove the VAT as we are outside the EU when you purchase, but just remind them. 

luked..I'm not familiar with Johnson Ross, but I do have Tacklebox.co.uk in my list of suppliers and I just found the Ted Carter website yesterday!

I did notice that Ted Carter has free freight to Aus. but I'm not looking to buy a large quantity of anything at this stage..Still experimenting!

It sounds like they might be worth looking further into, particularly if they have fast delivery..

• 5 months later...
Guest Swamptrout

I came across this post, I know my reply is very very late. Try contacting Terry Shepard at Regal Marine in Vermont he may be able to steer you in the right direction. There are a couple of Coarse Fishing clubs in Melbourne that members could have some gear for sale.

Thanks very much for the link and the offer Turnip..I have bought most of my gear at this stage..

As was mentioned, the cost of shipping for small items or small quantities can make them quite expensive..

I'll certainly keep it in mind when purchasing something from that store..

I think (Although, it is only a guess :wink: ) that when you get sent something from a shop they include import tax in the shipping charges whereas if it were being sent from an individual that wouldn't apply (You say it is a gift); (Incidentally, I am minutes away from The Tacklebox and would happily put forward the same offer as Turnip ).

Edited by dalthegooner

In Canada I've gotten away with buying new reels from England sent by post and no duty or tax and VAT discounted from purchase but 2nd hand rods from the US sent by post held up by customs and sales tax and a collection fee charged on delivery. It's a bit of a crap shoot here. Using mail instead of courier service generally gets me out of paying any duty or fees to custom houses so I always use the mail when buying anything from outside tbe country. Conversly I know owners of a tackle shop who have an account with a courier company through necessity for the business and they have no trouble with them. Oz is further away (from anywhere, ha ha) so likely very different. When I ordered my reels from Billy Clarke in Sheffield they quoted me way more for postage than I thought it would be and I said why? They said well they weigh x which is more than Royal Mail's cutoff for the lower tier price. I said but the specs say they weigh Y! He said yes but with the boxes, spare spools etc it's over, let me weigh again and I'll get back. He comes back and says without either the boxea or the spare spools I can mail them for the lower cost. I said wonderful, keep the boxes. A week later I had my reels and spare spools. Really got to hand it to the guy, between that and patience confirming my credit card I'd say they went the extra mile to get my gear to me, and that's why I always name them.

I think (Although, it is only a guess :wink: ) that when you get sent something from a shop they include import tax in the shipping charges whereas if it were being sent from an individual that wouldn't apply (You say it is a gift); (Incidentally, I am minutes away from The Tacklebox and would happily put forward the same offer as Turnip ).

Thanks dalthegooner..I have bought quite a bit from Tacklebox in the past, so will keep that in mind for my next order..

In Canada I've gotten away with buying new reels from England sent by post and no duty or tax and VAT discounted from purchase but 2nd hand rods from the US sent by post held up by customs and sales tax and a collection fee charged on delivery. It's a bit of a stinky winky shoot here. Using mail instead of courier service generally gets me out of paying any duty or fees to custom houses so I always use the mail when buying anything from outside tbe country. Conversly I know owners of a tackle shop who have an account with a courier company through necessity for the business and they have no trouble with them. Oz is further away (from anywhere, ha ha) so likely very different. When I ordered my reels from Billy Clarke in Sheffield they quoted me way more for postage than I thought it would be and I said why? They said well they weigh x which is more than Royal Mail's cutoff for the lower tier price. I said but the specs say they weigh Y! He said yes but with the boxes, spare spools etc it's over, let me weigh again and I'll get back. He comes back and says without either the boxea or the spare spools I can mail them for the lower cost. I said wonderful, keep the boxes. A week later I had my reels and spare spools. Really got to hand it to the guy, between that and patience confirming my credit card I'd say they went the extra mile to get my gear to me, and that's why I always name them.

We also get items from the UK duty and VAT free which makes the prices quite good..

The killer is the freight!..If you're just buying a few small items it's not bad, but if you want to buy a load of leads..Yikes!! One company quoted me $45.00 to ship just 20 leads!!

Good point about paying extra freight on things you don't need..Something to keep in mind should I need to buy some boxed item..

Casting pyramid sinkers isn't hard and doesn't cost much, my friend and I used to make 60 or 70 in one go using a self-made mould and cast off wheel weights or old weights from commercial fishing nets. If you want pears or other carping-purpose shapes you need a mould for it but the pyramids work and cost next to nothing if you can make them. Don't poison yourself (voice of experience here). [emoji12]

I had thought about making my own..You can buy moulds  here for doing that..

When I was a boy my father used to make spoon sinkers at home..I thought about doing something like that as I remember that spoon sinkers were good at rising up as you wind them in..Ideal for fishing in weed if they would do that!

I found a supplier in NZ. that had good range of heavy weight spoon sinkers..Good price and very reasonable freight!

I bought 20 2oz. sinkers that worked out to be about .90c. each including freight!! A bargain..

I tried one in my weedy river and it worked like a charm..As soon as I started winding in, the sinker rose straight up and missed all the weed..

I'm using a lead clip system, so even if I lose the spoon sinker it's only a .90c loss!.

Never done it myself but i believe its not THAT difficult to make your own leads ? Just a cssual thought (considering it wont be me having the aggro :))

I make my own. It's actually a fun way t spend a day :wink:

And you can mix your own lead coatings to mix up the colours as well 8)

I made my sisters drag 3oz bell sinkers back from the US (a hundred at a time - twice!) and they were 50 - 60 cents ea so about half price. They'll never do that again! I liked those because I could hammer them a bit like the commercial flat pear leads that don't roll as much. Big inline 3, 4, and 5 oz that I bought for catfishing in the Red River are handy where the current is too fast for anything smaller.

• 8 months later...

I have found Billy Clarke to allways go out of there way to keep the cost down and Tom at the shop is a legend .Terry

They were really good when I ordered my reels from Canada, took a bit of time to verify credit details but that's an inconvenience for them as well, so they went out of their way to serve me.