Always been a question...never known the answer

nathan 16

When I began carp fishing, I always used mono line. A standard carp take for me was a few bleeps then a run;  it varied slightly but the essentials were the same. However, im sure we have all had the weird scenario where we get a screaming run, then there is nothing on the end. About one year ago I decided to switched to braided line (spiderwire invisi-braid), since then my bites changed (probably due to the lack of stretch) to violent "jerks" of line peeling from the reel at inconsistent speed. I always now hit the rod on those violent jerks. I have never since had a run with nothing on the end. The question is, when we get a few tiny bleeps of the bobbin using mono, is that actually already a take but due to the stretch it appears to be a tiny movement, and also are mono "liners" what we think they are? Could they be takes? What else could have caused the difference in runs between mono and braid?

Cor Carpmachine is goibg to love this one :)

Im assuming Nate , that you are fishing with tight lines ?

Yep i reckon it has a lot to do with the stretch that mono has but thats just my opinion .

I find that most of the single bleeps happen when we are being " done " , in my experience usually when fishing semi-fixed lead set ups .

I have seen experiments where the lead has been moved several feet in an arc before any indication at the rod end, by which time the Carp has used tge weight of the lead to get rid of the hook.

This was confirmed in the "under the surface" series of articles in carpology .

My recent screamers on my running lead rigs , where there was nothing on the end i have put down to fishing slack lines TOO slack and to a lesser extent dodgy hooks .

Anything to do with braided mainlines ?

Talk to CM :wink:

I'm of the opinion that many bleeps with nothing, that we put down to liners on semi-fixed leads and mono are us being done. The carp using the weight of the lead to eject the hook. Even a very hard ejection from blowing can cause a bleep, especially if the hair is too short, or the rig at full extension. It is one reason I prefer braided hook links, to avoid this tightness as braided links tend to collapse rather than sit straight out.

I switched to running leads, and unless I get bleeps from what I have seen, small fish hitting the line, I usually get proper runs

Pretty much a combination of things I'd expect.

Mono stretches, a lot, especially at range. Meaning you'll miss a bunch of the smaller activity. Braid will register a great deal more and therefore different takes - or at least they sound like that.

There's also the case of liners from midwater. The braided line will lie differently in the water to the mono (different types of both mind) and therefore again, different results.

I almost exclusively tend to use 30lb braid onto around 8 feet of lead core- and as slack as I can depending on the situation. Tends to stop the liners from when the school of bream are roaming. Usually means runs that seem like screamers in comparison to when I used mono but just a couple of feet can set of like a screamer when there's no stretch.

Carpman, what sort of weights are you casting, why the leader, wouldn't 20 BS suffice, I know why you use the stuff, it just does the job better, but why so heavy. To answer the original question, your right, single bleeps and fruitless runs are very rare, and as the other guys answering this question, the stretch has to be the culprit. PS don't tell everybody or they will sell out before we can renew our braid.

Know what you're saying tbh. 3-4 oz usually but abrasion resistance on gravel bars and swan mussels are the main reason. Also power pro in 30lb is a nice diameter, any slimmer and I'll chop a finger off!

I'm of the opinion that many bleeps with nothing, that we put down to liners on semi-fixed leads and mono are us being done. The carp using the weight of the lead to eject the hook. Even a very hard ejection from blowing can cause a bleep, especially if the hair is too short, or the rig at full extension. It is one reason I prefer braided hook links, to avoid this tightness as braided links tend to collapse rather than sit straight out.

I switched to running leads, and unless I get bleeps from what I have seen, small fish hitting the line, I usually get proper runs

I had to read the second line twice! :wink:

Pretty much a combination of things I'd expect.

Mono stretches, a lot, especially at range. Meaning you'll miss a bunch of the smaller activity. Braid will register a great deal more and therefore different takes - or at least they sound like that.

There's also the case of liners from midwater. The braided line will lie differently in the water to the mono (different types of both mind) and therefore again, different results.

I almost exclusively tend to use 30lb braid onto around 8 feet of lead core- and as slack as I can depending on the situation. Tends to stop the liners from when the school of bream are roaming. Usually means runs that seem like screamers in comparison to when I used mono but just a couple of feet can set of like a screamer when there's no stretch.

evening fella , can I ask what rigs you use with 8 ft of leadcore ?

I had to read the FIFTH line twice :) :) :)

See your point but with 30lb braid I'm not going to crack off. Also I'm only ever going to use safe rigs, certainly nothing that's going to end up with a lead attached to it. Besides its never been an issue, I've never lost a length, in fact it stays tied up and lasts for months.

On fish safety though I'd rather have a good length of tubing or core so that there's no bare braided mainline near the fish to potentially lift scales or cut dorsals.

Cm that's a load of tosh mate .... braid isn't only banned on day ticket carp puddles . Take your blinkers off mate you don't do your self any favours with sweeping statements like that . Tim only brought it up to get a rise from you . :wink:

Fishing 8 ft of leadcore is an accident waiting to happen Imo especially as it sounds like it's being fished to a lead clip and rig at times and not solely on a chod where at least there's a slim chance it can pass up the leader .

like I said I'm not anti leaders but 8 ft ones are just to long to be classed as safe . Just my thoughts and I'm certainly not having a go at anyone just a discussion :wink:

Actually , believe it or not , i was attempting to point out a certain irony .

Everybody digs CM out all the time about his love of braided mainline ( which i've personally never used so really shouldnt be in a position to criticise) when there are people out there using 8 feet of leadcore as a leader.

That kind of pales the braid argument into insignificance really and that is what i thought CM would Seize upon.....

I was actually inviting CM to comment rather than get a rise . Honest :wink:

Far be it from me to dictate to anybody about leadcore but i dont understand how higher b.s. Braided mainline makes 8 yards of leadcore safer ?

Sorry i know its 8 feet not yards :)

Edited by newmarket

If a fish is left towing 8ft of anything around be it leadcore, mono braid,or what ever if that fish carnt get rid of the hook which is quite rare carp have an amazeing abilty when it comes to getting off hooks in snags but when they crnt shred the hook its in trouble. The way i see it is snagged fish is like a dog tied to a post the hook is the equivalant of a dogs collor it doesnt matter what material the collor is tied to if the dog crnt get the collor off or break the material the collor is attached to its securely teatherd and not going anyware. Thankfully its rare fish die to teathering but only because the carp can get rid of the hoo the majority of the time not because of the anti leadcore brigade and punishers that talk second hand info rather than first hand expeirence! Leadcore has been found

Didnt finish last post.

Leadcore has been found on teatherd fish carnt deny that but everybody used to use leadcore if everybody is useing something when something goes wrong its going to be involved. Only thing that changes when leadcore is banned is that the carp is teatherd to a branch with a different material if it crnt shred the hook.

Liam ... I don't think anyone has jumped on the anti leadcore brigade! .

also you speak to anyone up at Horseshoe when they had there big fish kill a few years back , on examining the fish, the amount that still had hooks in them was unbelievable some rusty some not . So I personally don't agree that fish find it easy to get rid of barbed hooks ,so in my eyes the least we can do is try and limit what there towing round with them in the event of a brake and make sure it's not of a braking strain you could tow a car with . And I like most people think barbed are better and cause far less damage before you go down the road of the barbed brigade !

Back in topic.... At the weekend I sat watching my mates rods, on braid, and saw the indicators constantly rise and fall at least an inch with the swell of the the water.

The superior bite indication sounds great, but in reality, how does one determine the difference between 'getting done' and a snail climbing your line? Line bites in his delks sounded absolutely savage....I think the indication OP is getting are mearly liners, mono gets rid of most of these noncence beeps.