Go To Setup

TM1985

Hi Everyone i hope your all well!

Just a quick question - if you turn up at a new venue or your current venue isnt producing what is your go to rig and bait presentation. I just wondered what people will use 9 time out of 10 when the going is tough or your unsure of the fish at a venue!

Cheers Todd

Back to basics for me, watercraft.

The best rig ............. won't catch if it's not where the fish are.

The worst rig might.

good point but to me watercraft is a given and should be implemented on every visit , the original question was what's your go to rig / fail safe setup .

This will be different for everyone because it's all about confidence and basically how well you have done on said setup in the past . Mines the photo above as it's caught me good fish on a low stock lake :wink:

good point but to me watercraft is a given and should be implemented on every visit , the original question was what's your go to rig / fail safe setup .

This will be different for everyone because it's all about confidence and basically how well you have done on said setup in the past . Mines the photo above as it's caught me good fish on a low stock lake :wink:

I hear what your saying, and to a degree I agree that a go to rig is an option*; however; I would like to expand on this a bit -

The rig that is being used may need to be tweaked rather than changed - longer or shorter hair / hook length; no hair with bait mounted on hook (not to everyones taste but an option none the less); smaller / bigger hook; alternative material used for rig be it thinner, softer, stiffer. The list can go on :confused:

Watercraft (topography, weather conditions, visible feeding spots etc..) will give you a clue for where to begin.

*There aren't really many rigs but there are many variations but whatever that variation is - is not as significant as where it is.

Cyborx's suggestion of using the kettle should be put to good use i.e. have a cuppa and watch and think.

I highly suggest getting a copy of Nash's rig evolution dvd - most of it (probably all of it) is on Youtube under NashTV.

Cyborx's suggestion of using the kettle should be put to good use i.e. have a cuppa and watch and think.

I agree with what you have said there .

Time is of the essence when i get to go fishing abd i do exactly as you suggest Ian .

AFTER i've cast out my Choddy :)

You cant catch a fish while your tackle's on the bank but you can change your approach to suit your situation once you ARE fishing .

Abd with a Chod rig j know i'm fishing :wink:

NM yes time is the big problem for most of us, I'm struggling to get out and I live on the door-step of a large reservoir full of carp waiting for my special bait. Chods work and like you say you can observe whilst fishing, nothing wrong with that; making the most of our time is a big part of fishing effectively.

CF the rig evolution dvd is free and well worth the time to watch it, KN explains alot of the history of the rigs and why they came about. Just bear in mind KN wants to catch the biguns, his whole focus is on that, so he is prepared to wait for them. Yes he does identify his products used, but it's not rammed in your face and for the price of the dvd ... Many may not agree with his thoughts, but many of the many haven't caught the fish he has. I bet you don't confuse yourself as much as I do!

Good post ianain.... can't see me watching the nash thing but I hear what your saying , a sharp hook in the right place is what you need, which is why my rigs are very simple ... I'll just confuse myself if I get to much involved with all the variations of rigs out there lol .

The worst rig in an area where the fish are May catch, the best rig where they aren't definitely won't.

I try to know the venue, so the rig I use may be something different or advanced, but I do usually go back to basic, a coated or uncoated braid, with a simple knotless knot and hair rig. Rigs catch far more anglers than fish, and to catch the fish you have to be in the right place at the right time...

Well,when the going gets tough I break out my little tub of baby pink 12mm pop ups(secret flavour) put one on a REALLY simple pop up rig 1 inch off bottom, put in different areas,open water,snags,pads,reeds,anywhere that looks good, always saves me a blank :):)

Which asks the question .... why not start the day with this setup lol :wink:

Which asks the question .... why not start the day with this setup lol :wink:

good point! I usually start with an 18mm topped with half a pink pop up as a single,can blast that over 100 yrds with no fear of tangle. Second rod is just a double 14mm bait with a pva mesh of crushed almost powdered boilie with glug,normally works well,failing that just my pink one :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ray Walton & the gang were the closed syndicate on the Adams mill stretch well some of the members anyway .

There were some monstrous barbel down that way a decade ago and more .... shame to hear the otter has become a problem !

That reel he had designed was great idea , a centre pin that with a flick of a switch the drum would pivot out and cast like a fixed spool reel , as Rays favourite tactic was trundling meet down the river and meant he could fish bigger rivers or when they were in flood . Always fancied one for the Wye .