Landing net question

frogy

Hi guys last time I went carping I caught one but it got one of the bones in its fins tangled in my landing net. I carefully cut the net away from the fin and let it go and repaired the net last week. Well ive just got back from a 24hr session with my boy and the same thing happened, twice in fact, I ended up not using my net as I wondered if there was a problem with it so started sharing my boys but then the same thing happened to him.

We must be doing something wrong but I don't know what, anyone got any ideas?

Don't know the make Tim, they just came with our outfits. My mesh is smaller than my boys that's all I know. Might be worth taking them down the local tackle shop and let one of the carp boys have a look I suppose.

Might be a good idea mate .

I know that the mesh on my fox warrior net is a lot smoother , finer and smaller than the mesh on my cheaper no-brand net i had before ?

I cant believe its the way you net the fish :)

si, i have a well known brand net with a fine mesh but i also get this problem from time to time. i put it down to the carp sometimes having a dorsal bone with a small barb that stands out from the fin and while the fish struggles in the net it becomes pushed thru the mesh.

a little care and patience soon sees the carp back in the water unharmed :wink:

i will add tho that my net is a fox warrior s and as far as i know that model has one of the fines meshes available on a landing net.

This is something I used to have happen but haven't for quite some time, it may just be chance but I know what I do now compared to then is leave the net in the water with the fish in so it can compose itself before being hoiked out onto the mat, and as I'm doing this it gives me time to breathe and then I tend to check if the fins are flat to the fishes body and its dorsel doesn't look as though it'll get stuck in the net.

This may well be what you do and it still happens , so just ignore me if that's the case!! Good man for asking about it either way, I feel quite bad when this has happened to me

Edited by nealjt

• 6 years later...

This is really interesting. I've been fishing for thirty years and it's never happened to me until this week. I have now had this happen with four or five small carp. I mentioned it a tackle shop and they suggested it could be that the fish have been damaged due to over fishing?