Chub...

salokcinnodrog

Well, I've not managed much time for carp fishing in the past few weeks, but I did actually manage a few chub last week on a couple of short sessions. Somehow on Tuesday I managed to wangle a day off, my course got cancelled, and rather than juggle the rota I took the day off and went to the local river for a couple of hours, and to lok at a local lake.

Armed with just a bag of dog biscuits, rod, reel, and landing net I managed a 2lb chub from the river.

However Friday was the better day as Big Dave is back in town, and together we wandered the river in the eveninglobbing dog biscuits in and both managed a take or two. Dave managed a 2lb fish from a new spot

I was lucky enough to manage 2 chub, the biggest of which was 4lb and ounces and was hooked and played from a bridge across the river...

14204_796298297058406_799490106279508592

I like chub, good fishing mate.

haven't landed a chub in over 45 years, can still remember it tho :lol:

nice fish nick, back to basics too :wink:

I always reckon it is harder to find and stalk a good chub than any size carp. They are so wary compared to other fish, the bigger ones usually living in the thickest jungle banked or most awkward swims. Poor Dave was in shorts and had trampled nettles down to land it from the bridge support wall. I honestly couldn't have managed without him to do it...

Lovely looking fish 8)

I haven't been river fishing for too long. Might have to have a day out with a rod and a rucksack soon!

I'm thinking the same thing.

Ive got an old Nash Barbel Elite, 1.5lbtc that is soooo soft.  Might press it into service and fish a few big lumps of 'P's Cheese'  Which has been sat in the freezer for too long.

I'm thinking the same thing.

Ive got an old Nash Barbel Elite, 1.5lbtc that is soooo soft. Might press it into service and fish a few big lumps of 'P's Cheese' Which has been sat in the freezer for too long.

I take it the wife put it there Phil ? :) :) :)

Sorry i'm on my way ....:)

Edited by newmarket

• 10 months later...

Back to basics again today, free lining dog biscuits for three more chub, 2lb ish (which I didn't weigh), 3lb2oz, and 4lb2oz.

I got stung to pieces, and wet feet, but when they look like this the biggest, who cares?

dd8af30fc9675064e1074d702fd5e87e_zpsi1o8

Just noticed my unhooking mat, :lol:

• 1 year later...

Only the second chub trip of the season, all on floating dog biscuits, freelined down with the current.

Three today, 2lb 8oz, not pictured, 2lb 9oz and a 3lb 9oz.

97e13bb21aea27b133d4d0f53d0e5589_zpsabzp

Looking a bit tatty around the tail end, so I took a picture for reference.

660e65f15d589944f4f6ce2c3b9181c5_zps62mx

Better looking and snuck out from climbing along a tree root until I was mid flow.

• 3 weeks later...

6lb! Wow! That's proper that is!!

They weren't there when I walked it to Pipps Ford this week.

Just below the backwash I did manage a 2lb4oz chub on dog biscuit.

From that swim I did notice a fairly large clawed paw print in the mud as I was returning it. I had trashed any other prints as I climbed down, but I am positive that there is an otter around, and bigger fish probably have no escape from its claws.

Further upstream on a tree lined corner I also managed another at 2lb 12oz, again on dog biscuit

• 1 year later...
On 21 July 2018 at 00:57, Dannygooner said:

Great work nick. Give me this type of fishing instead of lugging about buckets of munga any day. What river is this buddy?

Gipping Mate.

Total tackle, rod, reel and landing net, a bucket of dog biscuits, small tackle carry with hooklink material and a couple of packs of hooks, and my scales and sling.

Nice going mate, that stamp of fish brings back a lot of happy memories for me. At the time , they were monsters lol..... Hope there's a few bigger ones still knocking about. A 5lber was the specimen benchmark when I used to fish for them, never managed one myself.

4 hours ago, B.C. said:

Nice going mate, that stamp of fish brings back a lot of happy memories for me. At the time , they were monsters lol..... Hope there's a few bigger ones still knocking about. A 5lber was the specimen benchmark when I used to fish for them, never managed one myself.

I have had a couple of 5's. One from The Wensum and one from The Gipping. I haven't seen a Gipping 5 for a few years, the numbers of fish and weight seems to have dropped, and I think our furry friends are partly to blame.

• 11 months later...

I took some persuading with the heat, Big Dave convinced me, so I was back on the chub hunt yesterday evening, my basic favourite method of a freelined dog biscuit.

We walked along the river with the dog, one rod between us, taking turns at the fish.

In the first swim he had one chub from a brick wall above the river which I had to climb down to net, I reckon around 2lb, just a quick photo in the net.

We walked the whole stretch, looking for fish,  casting in a few swims and then back to the car. I spotted a few fish, but had to do a bit of jungle stalking, climbing through brambles and nettles, opposite 'nice lady's' house, and as I did Dave realised we had left a baiting needle downstream on a bend and went to get it with Sky, so I rerigged with a Uni-knot holding a big Bakers Meaty chunk on the size 8 hook on 5lb Reflo hooklink tied to 6lb mainline. A cast to work out the current, then another to get the biscuit in the right flow, result was a good chub.

As he came back I heard him talking to Sky, telling her I would probably be waiting with a fish in the net, which "knowing Nick is the biggest around". I needed his  help to take the rod while I lifted net and fish over the bankside snags. When we weighed the fish it was a healthy 5lb.

I've not seen a chub that big from the Gipping for a few years!

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

The gipping must be in a healthy state. The chub on the stour are diminishing in numbers year on year apparently. I’ve had a few but nothing of that stamp and calibrate. 5lb is a cracking chub on any riverway. Great work mate

I think the numbers of fish are diminishing, but the ones left seem to be growing well at the moment. I heard of a couple more 5's caught this week on freelined bread, although I'm not sure where they were caught from, and haven't studied the background on the pics my mate posted yet. I'm pretty positive he won't mind if I fish the area as I used to take him along the river.