View from your bivvy door.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Saturday night - what a view, also saw an owl, kingfisher, 2 buzzards, deer and all the usual birds etc

Screenshot_20220912-113737_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9c3cbf8a911ac7b85905afa438874aa1.jpg

Looks lovely,

I was out walking the dogs yesterday and was lucky enough to see a red kite quite close up, naturally by the time I was ready to take a photo on the phone it was too far away but wow was so impressive being close enough to see it in detail 

34 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Looks lovely,

I was out walking the dogs yesterday and was lucky enough to see a red kite quite close up, naturally by the time I was ready to take a photo on the phone it was too far away but wow was so impressive being close enough to see it in detail 

Love seeing the kites I've been a bit of a kite geek tbh - raving about seeing them getting closer and closer to where I live year after year from the rearing ground in northants.  Now prob 10 years later they are everywhere.  Best sighting an adult took a fish from swan lake on the wing - massive bird epic to see.  Driving home I often saw columns of young birds spiraling on the wind on the country lanes - as many as 30 birds in a column - unreal.  I must have nearly crashed a few times lol

Got a pic of this Buzzard a couple of weeks ago - he was just sat on the lake track and flew into the nearest tree and checked me out - so cool.

I remember when the birds were as rare as rocking horse stuff, so to see then making this massive comeback is so amazing, one of the highlights of my lifetime, told you I was getting geeky about it! 

Screenshot_20220912-193041_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ffa8ad7ae37a311759fa9c453b4c6c95.jpg

30 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Love seeing the kites I've been a bit of a kite geek tbh - raving about seeing them getting closer and closer to where I live year after year from the rearing ground in northants.  Now prob 10 years later they are everywhere.  Best sighting an adult took a fish from swan lake on the wing - massive bird epic to see.  Driving home I often saw columns of young birds spiraling on the wind on the country lanes - as many as 30 birds in a column - unreal.  I must have nearly crashed a few times lol

Got a pic of this Buzzard a couple of weeks ago - he was just sat on the lake track and flew into the nearest tree and checked me out - so cool.

I remember when the birds were as rare as rocking horse stuff, so to see then making this massive comeback is so amazing, one of the highlights of my lifetime, told you I was getting geeky about it! 

Screenshot_20220912-193041_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ffa8ad7ae37a311759fa9c453b4c6c95.jpg

They are just amazing though something special about seeing a bird of prey I think, a bloke was walking his dog coming towards me I think it was him that got too close, but he barely even noticed it til I told him then when he saw it he thanked me for showing it too him, I was like wow that's amazing, look look, I do see quite a few buzzards now hovering over the fields, more so when they had just harvested but nice to see, I also see glimpses of kingfishers and green woodpeckers at the lake I visit, but they never seem to come close enough to get a photo, you just see blue flashes going from tree to tree, I'm not sure how people get kingfisher rod shots, they never seem to want to be close, 

4 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

They are just amazing though something special about seeing a bird of prey I think, a bloke was walking his dog coming towards me I think it was him that got too close, but he barely even noticed it til I told him then when he saw it he thanked me for showing it too him, I was like wow that's amazing, look look, I do see quite a few buzzards now hovering over the fields, more so when they had just harvested but nice to see, I also see glimpses of kingfishers and green woodpeckers at the lake I visit, but they never seem to come close enough to get a photo, you just see blue flashes going from tree to tree, I'm not sure how people get kingfisher rod shots, they never seem to want to be close, 

Kites are beautiful birds for sure - the colours and the forked tail and a full adult is bloomin big with those wings fully extended - wow

This weekend i was so lucky to see an owl fly past really close and in the last hour of light so I got a great view, obvs no pics.  I'd like to get a good deer shot - they are all around the lake, one came out from the poke hole I was fishing earlier that day, prob there whilst I was and I had no idea.

This place is something else tbh - so many swans, geese, ducks, herons, white crane things etc etc too many bird types it's unreal even a tiny tiny bird in the reeds by the river.  Newts, frogs - toads and crickets in the bivvy (standard).  It is a nature reserve and should defo be protected if not already.

This is a stinky winky screen print off my Instagram of my best fishing pic ever - I had this young kingfisher on my rods for 10 mins practicing picking stuff up out the water- insects, twigs, pebbles it was a great sight and I had my decent camera there and ready.  One in a million I guess.  In the full shots you can see the slack lines brilliantly too

Screenshot_20220912-203205_Gallery.thumb.jpg.27896bc3cb0d530f6943e088c4cebb7e.jpg

42 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Kites are beautiful birds for sure - the colours and the forked tail and a full adult is bloomin big with those wings fully extended - wow

This weekend i was so lucky to see an owl fly past really close and in the last hour of light so I got a great view, obvs no pics.  I'd like to get a good deer shot - they are all around the lake, one came out from the poke hole I was fishing earlier that day, prob there whilst I was and I had no idea.

This place is something else tbh - so many swans, geese, ducks, herons, white crane things etc etc too many bird types it's unreal even a tiny tiny bird in the reeds by the river.  Newts, frogs - toads and crickets in the bivvy (standard).  It is a nature reserve and should defo be protected if not already.

This is a stinky winky screen print off my Instagram of my best fishing pic ever - I had this young kingfisher on my rods for 10 mins practicing picking stuff up out the water- insects, twigs, pebbles it was a great sight and I had my decent camera there and ready.  One in a million I guess.  In the full shots you can see the slack lines brilliantly too

Screenshot_20220912-203205_Gallery.thumb.jpg.27896bc3cb0d530f6943e088c4cebb7e.jpg

Wow that's an amazing shot, I want one myself now, I also now want a good kite shot lol, I've got a monopod I might start taking that for a walk with me and see if I can't get some nice pics, 

My best owl moment was in my old volvo 440 (I came way to close to deer also but that's another story) , I was driving along late one night and this big white barn owl just flew right in front of me for ages before landing in a bare tree, I would quite often see it in that tree after that, 

That place sounds amazing you will have to tell me where it is😉😉😉

• 4 months later...

This week's view from the bivvy, but has also included seeing a barn owl come out from between the trees and across the dam wall, and a video of a kestrel hovering above the tree border, as well as hearing tawny owls through the night

20230115_130652.jpg

17 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

Hi Nick, not seen you posting for a while, you good? 

Been told I need a hip replacement and have lower back problems. To deal with that and the other life problems I shut myself away from the world.

A bit chilly this morning. Most of the lake froze over last night, just the area in front of me stayed clear, and it looks like the ice is gradually spreading.

I'm only hanging on from packing up just to let the 🌞 thaw some of the gear. My net got frozen to the rushes and the overwrap is covered in frost.

Sky however is enjoying laying in the sun outside.

20230117_083432.jpg

1 hour ago, ouchthathurt said:

Hopefully when you get a hip replacement, you’ll be a new man mate, fingers crossed you get back to full fitness soon. 

I get in trouble being the old man, heaven knows what I can do as a new man🤣

Problem is I'm early 50's so the waiting list is longer.

This was Sky enjoying the time out.

20230117_084951.jpg

1 minute ago, salokcinnodrog said:

20230117_084951.jpg

Sad to read your health update , Nick , at least your sense of humour is still intact , and you finally know the cause of your pain .

A Postie colleague at work has had a hip replacement , and you can't tell the difference between him and the rest of us , only he said he wasn't allowed to give my car a push when I had a flat battery  🙄

15 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

20230117_084951.jpg

I'm back again ! .

Another suggestion from my Wife - she reminded me that I got fed up waiting for Ipswich Hospital when I needed a prostate operation , so I went to my G.P. and got a referral to another hospital with a much , much shorter waiting list . As long as you have an NHS number you can go anywhere in the country .

😃