Finding the fish

frogy

Hi again everyone, I thought of the question after reading a carp magazine last night, when you turn up at a lake especially if you haven't fished it before how to you figure out where the carp are or likely to be? I understand on a hot day and they are milling about on the surface but shall we say an average day with no fish showing, how do you decide which swim to fish or which area to target, as I said especially if you haven't fished it before?.

Thanks.

If I was fishing a lake for the first time with no info on the place at all then first thing would be to walk the lake and see if you can spot any signs of feeding or movement , if there are no signs to be seen then I would be looking at fishing to an island , overhanging trees , areas that look hard to cast to . On busy waters there always will be favoured swims and generally these swims and the ones near will be full I would take my chances in a swim out of the way from the masses .

I'd look for the place where there are the most feeders, floats, line etc. hanging from the overhead branches. Others have tried to get there for a reason

:wink:

And the swim that looks most "worn out". Pristine grass means a duff swim.

:wink:  :wink:

Ideally, if you can find a worn out swim with the added attraction of the most feeders, floats and line etc. hanging from the trees as well, then you've cracked it. Just be prepared to defend your territory

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Edited by smufter

If i cant find fish visually, i try the swim that is the furthest walk from the carpark, and the most of a ball ache to get to. Generally the least fished, and any swim you fish afterwards seems like a doddle to get to.

Unless its a well stocked lake, if its well stocked, you will generally fish best out of the carpark swim. Its where the most bait goes in!

As someone coming back into Carping after 20 years away I'm amazed at how many people just don't bother to try & find fish, especially if there's a popular swim vacant and they can park the car right behind it.

For what its worth I try to do a circuit of the lake, starting & finishing at the windward bank.  If I haven't been able to locate fish visually then I find a quiet spot at the windward end & start there.  I often find myself in the 'unfashionable' swims but seem to do OK.  I think that having no preconceptions is a big advantage  :wink:

If i turn up at the lake and there is no visible signs of fish showing or feeding then i head for the most difficult unpopular swim or end of lake that is less busy ....

Angling pressure is imo a big factor

If you live close enough to the water, it would be of great benefit to get there at certain times whilst not angling. The best time for observing any signs of carp activity is to be watching just as it's coming light onwards, for at least the first hour of daylight. Also the last hour.

A change in conditions at certain times of the year is a brilliant time. Keeping consistent knowledge of forthcoming weather is a must.

It goes without saying, that timing your arrival when going out angling is key. Getting there before first light will give you the best advantage of seeing something as dawn unfolds.

There are lots of pieces of the jigsaw to put together even when you have found the fish and most importantly 'where they feed'. Get down there as often as you can, if you can and tune yourself in.