Himalayan Crystal Salt in boilies

When i was "tweaking" a cc moore basemix a few years ago i always use to add salt to it , along with chilli flakes and crushed oyster/eggshell.

And quite a liberal dose too .

Done really well with it too , cant see it harming the fish at all or anything as it was only 2 or 3 kilos of boilies per session .

Funnily enough, I've never used it in boilie making (Don't know why, I use it in pretty much every other bait I use).

I'd guess that the taste and attraction would be last longer butt not be as strong if you used it as an ingredient, and would be stronger, but last fir less time if you used it when rehydrating.

Funnily enough, I've never used it in boilie making (Don't know why, I use it in pretty much every other bait I use).

I'd guess that the taste and attraction would be last longer butt not be as strong if you used it as an ingredient, and would be stronger, but last fir less time if you used it when rehydrating.

Eggzackly :)

my general view is that a lot of foods taste better with salt (chips without salt don't do it) but to much is not good for you in the long term. So I tend to apply the same to my bait making in the hope that I'm not harming the long term health of the carp. Just my view with no real evidence to back it up. :confused:

instead of adding just salt why dont you add ingredients that fish find attractive that contain high salt levels. thai fish sauce, oyster sauce, belechan, anchovy sauce, marmite etc etc.combine a few of those and you might just find a winner . there are 3 there that i combine and they are a winner :wink:

I gave up adding salt to any bait as I think it is counter productive, and can cause more problems that it solves.

Add to that and adding salt to baits can have a detrimental effect on the carp.

The maximum level required in the diet is 1.5%, and I think that boilie ingerdients contain enough natural salt already

There are some other links to salt and carp:

https://forum.carp.com/topic/15835-salt/

https://forum.carp.com/...etcorn-and-pva/

Salt also doesn't disappear from the environment, it stays there, it doesn't evaporate. Long term usage of salt can alter the soil/substrate chemistry, making (supposed) freshwater systems sterile killing the freshwater wildlife.

After looking and reading into the carps dietary needs I guess raw salt is not the way forward. Instead, now looking into what soluble proteins contain salt. I might however look a little closer in to what DNA Baits are doing with respect to a cured hook bait as this contains a huge salt signiture what shouldn't get hovered up and digested!

I small pinch of table salt should meet the carps dietary requirements. For me? This time of year? I think the carp need protien to repair muscle from winter, plus to prepare for spawning, glucose/carbs (semo/soya in its simplist form) for energy and calcium! They are forming eggs in preparation and i think that they require calcium and protien in order to form these. So crushed and powdered eggshells go in my bait too, just the eggs from my eggs when making bait. I think the carp like their crunch and textures!

:rolleyes: