Glugging plastic baits your thought's and observations.

tylow77

Hi Guys, I like a lot of people have been using plastic corn for a while now and also Bait Logics artificial boilies (as part of a Snowman rig) and i was just thinking as you do about boosting attraction level.

So has anybody got any ideas or experiences about using glugs/dips to achieve this....not looking for actual flavours people have used just your opinions :)

Hello mate . At last a new thread :lol:

Plastic baits ? Tbh i've only ever used 'em to tip off a boilie as a visual thing but i have no doubt that they work and indeed take on all sorts of flavours .

Its something i will be considering this year should i need to go down the particle route ie fake corn or maize .

I use fake worms and bloodworm sometimes if i am fishing a bait directly to a hook just like i would use a small section of elastic band to stop a worm wriggling off ...a kind of bait stop if you like ...

The only worry i have is that in the event of a break off , the fake bait is fishing forever and wont break down or rot like a foodbait would.

My conscience would be eased because i never ever use leaders tubing or leadcore ....

That is another thread though.

Glugged plastic baits ?

Yeah why not ! :)

Pete there are some artifical baits on the market that are porous mate .

I think its avid that do artifical pop ups that certainly do the job and im sure there are others .

I dont think plastic is to be taken literally and most of these artifical baits on the market these days do take on flavours to a degree .

Pete there are some artifical baits on the market that are porous mate .

I think its avid that do artifical pop ups that certainly do the job and im sure there are others .

I dont think plastic is to be taken literally and most of these artifical baits on the market these days do take on flavours to a degree .

The ones i used certainly take on flavour, caught more fish last year on fake baits than boilies.

Always have mine glugging, put a pop up piece of maize on recently, tested it in the margin.....it sank :shock: over glugged maybe :lol:

Ive got my plastics coated in fruit frenzy and fruit sense appeal hasn't changed my catch rate yet but nothing has on millpool except boilies and pop ups. Ill wait till next year to get a verdict on it. Ive done well on other lakes on kordas ib corn but tbh you could catch on most things as the lakes are higher stocked. Got to agree with what I heard Simon Scott say that they pick it up and don't rush to eject a plastic bait as its like a stone or something similar they always have going in and out with no taste as such rather than a boilie full of signals. Imo and Simon Scotts of course lol

I always pierce a few holes in baits and this enables the liquid to suck in more. Foam is the best for taking on flavour. Done well on yellow, white and pink foam soaked in alsorts. Good for zigs, tipping of boilies, singles or under a piece of standard fake corn etc. Ali hamidi don't know whether i like him or not lol. Never met him but seems honest enough just a marketing tool for korda though. Or a complete tool as some have told me lol. He doesn't take things too seriously that i do like. Omg you mentioned goo know the forum will be in meltdown about the fluorescent drain liquor lol. I think the flavoured plastics are good like the immortals range

Yeah quite true i think milky. That's why im trying flavoured and unflavoured this year to see how they compare. Its like i said in the previous post about what Simon Scott says about it being similar to them hoovering up gravel etc. They don't become aware of the hookbait until its too late unlike a boilie or corn which smells, tastes etc. I wonder if the plastic smells attractive to them or is it just that it looks the same or the fact they need to put it in there mouth to sample it as a viable food source as they don't have hands. Lol

Yeah quite true i think milky. That's why im trying flavoured and unflavoured this year to see how they compare. Its like i said in the previous post about what Simon Scott says about it being similar to them hoovering up gravel etc. They don't become aware of the hookbait until its too late unlike a boilie or corn which smells, tastes etc. I wonder if the plastic smells attractive to them or is it just that it looks the same or the fact they need to put it in there mouth to sample it as a viable food source as they don't have hands. Lol

I did a winter on unflavoured baits once. Honestly, I think the flavour is just there to help the angler choose.

Good point. Some flavours defiantly work but too many don't and are advertised to work. Guess it depends on water you fish. The one thing i don't understand and its a lil off topic so sorry is that the lake i fish the carp are far too wary of chum mixers or bread etc on top. They hardly get fished for and haven't come out of the top for years so why is this? Is it because its unnatural to them. Hence why zigs work. Mid water food. Surely they eat stuff on the surface under the bushes etc. Sometimes we are the ones being caught i admit that. Deffo when its this bait and that bait, that rig and that way.

I used to use a lot of plastic baits, as the top bait or visual as the sight on a snowman, or as a bait apart when fishing over plenty of Vitalin and sweetcorn.

As a tipper, I found it made very little difference, I caught very few fish doing it :shock:

As a hookbait over Vitalin, I found it was pretty good bait. Then I started thinking about the whys and wherefores of plastic baits fishing eternally, and had to dispose of a couple of birds that had pecked at the plastic on the rig, and hooked themselves on other peoples crack-offs that had tree'd themselves. (Still a chance with an ordinary boilie, but that being bigger would require a bigger mouthed bird). I have also seen fish hooked on peoples plastic crack-offs, and then tethered to death

If a bait is fishing forever until the hook rusts away is that a good thing? what happens to the plastic if left in the environment?

So if you do fish plastics, make sure that they can come off the hook/hair, they actually don't in many cases need a bait stop!

Also be aware that numbers of waters have actually banned them for those reasons amongst others.

Now as it happens, years ago, Neilcatching and I had a discussion about the plastic artificial baits, and I think we discovered that one of the oils used in their construction was fish based, making it an attractor in its own right, but to some extent because of their soft 'squidgy' spongy nature they would take on a flavour inside the sponge.

I have had mates try dipped or glugged plastic baits, and I don't think that they really outfished the plain plastic that I was using. It was always a case of we fished over a bed of bait

Marukyu or whatever their name is, have brought out some biodegradeable artificial baits which could well be worth a look:

http://www.marukyu.co.uk/2013-07-21-17-53-28/credence-corn-new

Googled it and it's being sold for £4.99. Although the company ad mentions biodegradable there is no mention of this on the retail sites. I wonder how well it will degrade and how long it will take? Probably better than just plain plastic though.

The degrade time was what I was wondering as well :!:

Now from memory Kryston also did a biodegradeable bait, called Doppelganger, so Marukyu could be a follow on from that?

Found it on Kryston site:

http://www.kryston.com/products-redone/doppelganger/

I've never used it, so I don't know how effective it is, but apparently does away with the need for bait stops :wink:

How long does Credence Corn take to biodegrade?

This depends on conditions; Credence Corn is broken down to nothing by bacteria and light. Therefore it is dependent on the conditions and water temperature. In a glass of sterile water and kept in the dark it will take a long time to break down. In a silted pond it will take a much shorter time –usually less time than any pop up or shelf life boilie.

Gives you a pretty good idea mate :D

The kryston doppelganger looks like it leaks off food signals for considerably longer than the japanese stuff .

Just depends on whether you can be bothered to shape it yourself .

How longs it been on the market because its new to me ?

Gives you a pretty good idea mate :D

The kryston doppelganger looks like it leaks off food signals for considerably longer than the japanese stuff .

Just depends on whether you can be bothered to shape it yourself .

How longs it been on the market because its new to me ?

I'll cut the post down a bit as I don't want a massive quote;

Doppelganger has been on the market for around 10years or so I would reckon :shock:

...Found it on Kryston site:

http://www.kryston.com/products-redone/doppelganger/

I've never used it, so I don't know how effective it is, but apparently does away with the need for bait stops :wink:

I couldn't cast out without a bait stop. I'd be sitting there continually wondering if I've got bait on the end of my rig or if it's come off.

There's just no way I could feel confident :?