The d rig

tmjones

Don't tell anyone, but it is a capital D, for D-rig :wink:

Something to do with the shape of the hook and the attachment of the hooklink continuation :P:lol:

Coated Braid D-rig

CoatedBraidD-Rigforpop-ups.jpg

Works with mono, fluorocarbon, stiff link, braid and coated braid.

The D-rig was the next step on from the basic hair at Savay, designed I believe by Roger Smith (while Rod Hutchinson was coming up with his version of the sliding/extending hair rig).

It makes a good set-up for pop-ups, snowman baits, and I have also used it successfully with bottom baits on Taverham

Whats best, a rig ring or micro swivel

I use a small rig ring and apply pop ups with an avid bait screw , great little things :)

By the look of it nick uses rings as well :)

Nick , how are you tying a snowman to the D ?

I use a small rig ring and apply pop ups with an avid bait screw , great little things :)

By the look of it nick uses rings as well :)

Nick , how are you tying a snowman to the D ?

The bait is tied onto the rig ring with a fine piece of nylon, hair braid or dental floss, I've been using 4lb Mono for a few years now.

To tie the bait on I tie a Uni knot loop at the end of a piece of nylon and thread in a Pop-up and then pull tight. I then put a bottom bait on the hair and tie it to the sliding rig ring. If to use it for pop-ups then instead of adding a bottom bait you can just tie on that pop-up.

micro swivel or bait screw make the rig so much easier to tie, but i dont think either way effect the effectiveness of the rig...with the exception of weight!

And with a pop-up, maybe a swivel could be the way to add some weight to hold the pop-up down, but that is worth a thread in itself (Pop-ups and how they behave under water may be worth looking at :wink: )

As for the bait screw, I have always worried about piercing the skin of a pop-up, so I have tied mine on for many years

micro swivel or bait screw make the rig so much easier to tie, but i dont think either way effect the effectiveness of the rig...with the exception of weight!

And with a pop-up, maybe a swivel could be the way to add some weight to hold the pop-up down, but that is worth a thread in itself (Pop-ups and how they behave under water may be worth looking at :wink: )

As for the bait screw, I have always worried about piercing the skin of a pop-up, so I have tied mine on for many years

Nick , the avid bait screws were initially designed for use with the avid hi-lites , the fake boilies which take on flavours whilst guaranteeing never to take on water and therefore never sink . I have done some tests and they keep ordinary cork dust and airball pop ups perfectly popped up for more than a week in a tank test (and 48 hrs in the lake , i've never fished longer :lol:

I know you are one for testing stuff so just thought i'd mention it , its made my fishing so much easier what with arthritic fat fingers etc

Besides , these screws actually screw a few millimetres into the bait so any air should displaced by the actual screw . Its not like you peirce the bait all the way through with a baiting needle and then pull it after after attaching it to the hair .

These bait screw imo are so good that i actually considered sticking em in the tackle review threads .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The bait is tied onto the rig ring with a fine piece of nylon, hair braid or dental floss, I've been using 4lb Mono for a few years now.

To tie the bait on I tie a Uni knot loop at the end of a piece of nylon and thread in a Pop-up and then pull tight. I then put a bottom bait on the hair and tie it to the sliding rig ring. If to use it for pop-ups then instead of adding a bottom bait you can just tie on that pop-up.

Just reading this and realised I didn't make it particularly clear.

I make the hair from the mono, by tying a uni knot loop at the end, and putting pop-up in to get the hair length right. With the pop-up in place, I then attach the hair to the ring allowing enough space for a bottom bait as well. I then remove the pop-up, and put bottom bait on the hair with baiting needle, the pop-up then gets put back into the loop. The pop-up effectively becomes the bait stop.