Hinged Stiff Rig - Supple boom

hookedoncarp

Yeah its called a reverse combi-rig which is self explanatory.

I'd be making sure that the hair is made from the supple braid too though .

You want the bait to have plentya movement which the flurocarbon section wont offer .im not sure it would acheive what your after though..

• 1 month later...

I use this rig a lot and really like it. Recently I have tied it using Korda IQ (i think, chod stuff with no memory) stiff part formed into a curve pretty much as a chod with the supple boom being solar contour which is very supple but also quite heavy. (Which I think helps set the hook) I mainly use it with bottom baits on a supple hair. I'm not a rig guru but I am super confident with this rig, I've not caught many on it but every pick up I've had I have landed and they have been hooked nicely in the bottom lip. I always use a pva bag with it though as I think it would tangle easily without

I use this rig a lot and really like it. Recently I have tied it using Korda IQ (i think, chod stuff with no memory) stiff part formed into a curve pretty much as a chod with the supple boom being solar contour which is very supple but also quite heavy. (Which I think helps set the hook) I mainly use it with bottom baits on a supple hair. I'm not a rig guru but I am super confident with this rig, I've not caught many on it but every pick up I've had I have landed and they have been hooked nicely in the bottom lip. I always use a pva bag with it though as I think it would tangle easily without

what lead setup do you use with this?

You use a curved chod style hooklink and a bottom bait? If you are catching fish fair enough, but surely the mechanics of that rig just don't add up, what kind of hookholds do you get?

Edit: you said in the bottom lip, I can't help but think there are a lot more efficient bottom bait rigs. The curve on a chod link, is there so as a pop up rig, no matter what direction the fish approaches from the rig will bump round and spin the hook towards the fish. I would suggest as a bottom bait, you are only getting pick ups from fish approaching from one direction, and its costing you fish.

Edited by grangemilky

Ok grange that's really interesting, mainly I use it as when it tried it on a palm test the hook would turn and prick in really well. I'm not silly enough to think the palm definitive but I tend to place the rig on my hand, with a bait attached and also lead. I then pull my hand away and it consistently hooked in well and did try in different directions.

Thank you for your thoughts, I'm still very much learning and only starting to properly consider how stuff all works under the water!!

When i can I'll definatley do a comparison when fishing, thank you again, am always open to helpful critism.

Why do you think it would only work from certain directions? In my mind I tend to just imagine the bait being sucked in and the rig following irrelevant of the approach.

But now you have got me thinking do you mean as the carp sucks in the bait all the stiff part may lift and touch the mouth before the bait therefore it would stop the bait and importantly the hook entering the mouth????