beach reels for carp fishing

for Christmas I got a set of okuma distance surf big pit reels. The first thing that struck me was that they are a sea fishing reel. But I must say, the white and silver colours actually look nice on the bank. The spool is massive and casts really nicely. they will (supposedly) last longer because they are salt water resistant and dont corrode. At the moment I can't tell. But has anybody heard of using beach reels for carp?

thankyou

for Christmas I got a set of okuma distance surf big pit reels. The first thing that struck me was that they are a sea fishing reel. But I must say, the white and silver colours actually look nice on the bank. The spool is massive and casts really nicely. they will (supposedly) last longer because they are salt water resistant and dont corrode. At the moment I can't tell. But has anybody heard of using beach reels for carp?

thankyou

Answered your own question, where did big pits evolve from, beach reels :wink:

Thats right nathan . Although i've never owned the same reels as you i have owned other okuma reels and if they are anything like those they'll be bullet proof and last you for years mate.

I think you may get quite a few replies singing the praises of beachcasting reels . Some people even use beachcaster rods as spod/marker rods i believe.

Shimano baitrunner reels were designed with the freespool feature to allow live bait to swim freely at the end of the line in the ocean, hence the patented name 'baitrunner'. I have a few of the old 4500's and they feature baitrunner, anodized spool, and waterproof drag as protection against salt water. Carp fishing came after.

Shimano Aerlex, first used on the beach.

Shimano Seaspins, progressed into the baitrunners we know and love today.

Daiwa SS3000, probably originally intended for beach fishing.

There you have it.

We started moving up to big reels for carp fishing as our mainlines increased in breaking strain. There is NO WAY that you can cast a 15lb mainline much over 80metres on a 8000 size baitrunner, or a Cardinal 55 :wink:

It was when we started moving over to 15lb line as standard that we had to start using the bigger reels (or on occasions in France on Inland Seas) :wink::lol:

There are a few versions of the Okuma reels that you have. One version is the "sea" version, with salt water resistant internals and the whiteish body. The other version, is a dark colour, with non corrosion protection.......and aimed at the carp boys...

Technically, you have the better version :)