Times Are A Changing

peteblount

Just been looking through a lot of the old topics and it got me to thinking how much angling has changed over the last 40 years I say 40 as that was when my dad bought me my first 13ft glass fibre float rod. You knew you had been fishing after holding that for 8 hours on the river 7 @ bridgenorth. Everything was so much more basic, the knotted nets, a Creel, and an old holdall. Homemade bank sticks and rests. The only thing that hasn't changed for me in the 40 years though is the buzz of excitement I get on every session and the big smile for every fish I catch whatever it is.

Ahh the good old days...

Carrying everything on my back.

Walking miles to the bank.

Feeling like my arms were about to fall off when I got there.

Spending the night curled up, on the floor, under a 45inch brolly shivering.

Having no hot food.

What fantastic times they were :lol:

I remember getting mg first trolley for Christmas. I felt like a god when I could strap my seatbox, tacklebox and food bag to it and only carry my rod holdall.

It didn't take long until I had invested in a camping cook set and coooker than was fuelled by oversized firelighters.

Come to think of if, it didn't take long until the trolley was overladen and I was carrying bags with my rod holdall and pulling my trolley :oops:

That brings back memories,rod tied to the handlebars of a pimped up

pushbike, a couple of carrier bags on the handlebars,and away you went for a day in the country.

We were proper mobile anglers then.

Indeed :D

I think i had a glass fibre rod 10-11ft, a wicker basket with a homemade float box in it, which probably consisted of half a dozen floats, two packs of hooks large and small!, split shot and a couple of arsley bombs,oh and don't forget the bobbins, fairy liquid caps, and a tub of worms fresh from the garden, usually soaked with the hose and covered in washing up liquid and newspaper, always used to much and the lawn ended up looking like an ibiza foam party :lol:

Nightfishing added a 40" brolley, a single airbed, candles in jars, all strapped to a pushbike.

Now it seems i require a transit van and trailer just for a 24 session :shock:

I remember the first rod and reel that I ever had, a Czech made fibreglass rod with ferrules that stiffened and left a flat spot when playing a fish, and a Ryobi reel with no line roller. From the first minute I got into fishing and started catching rudd from a local farm pond I was addicted and fishing became 'my life'.

I was absolutely chuffed when I saved up and bought a 12ft Fibreglass carbon rod with proper joints that actually flexed with the rod and I caught some lovely tench on that when float fishing.

A tacklebox and a wooden box with proper dividers that had floats for every occasion, and I took the trouble to mark every one with the correct shot. Stick floats marked with how many No.4's, wagglers with however many AAA's etc, and I had the 'right gear for the right occasion'.

I was anal about looking after my gear, and probably to some extent still am.

I really miss the olden days of fishing as everything now is so carp orientated.

pushbike, a couple of carrier bags on the handlebars,and away you went for a day in the country.

I think i had a glass fibre rod 10-11ft, a wicker basket with a homemade float box in it, which probably consisted of half a dozen floats, two packs of hooks large and small!, split shot and a couple of arsley bombs,oh and don't forget the bobbins, fairy liquid caps, and a tub of worms fresh from the garden, usually soaked with the hose and covered in washing up liquid and newspaper, always used to much and the lawn ended up looking like an ibiza foam party :lol:

Nightfishing added a 40" brolley, a single airbed, candles in jars, all strapped to a pushbike.

I'd bet that there are people reading this who wonder about your reference to washing up liquid on the lawn. :wink:

Ian

Or even fairy liquid bottle caps....

I'd bet that there are people reading this who wonder about your reference to washing up liquid on the lawn. :wink:

Ian

Glass fibre ? I used to dream of having a glass fibre rod !! I had to make do with a split cane beach-casting affair !! That and a Intrepid Black Prince loaded with 3lb mono !

All my tackle was strapped to my push-bike, rod (singular) along the crossbar and an old wooden ammunition box for everything else. I didn't care 'cos I was fishing !!

And as for fairy liquid tops, I still have 2 or 3 in an old tackle box !!!!

....And as for fairy liquid tops, I still have 2 or 3 in an old tackle box !!!!

I've got serious green eyes. I spotted anniversary edition Fairy Liquid bottles in Asda a few months ago (Round whit bottle with green writing) and thought my luck was in as I made a bee line for them.

I was gutted when I got there and they still had crusty new tops on them :evil:

Glass fibre ? I used to dream of having a glass fibre rod !! I had to make do with a split cane beach-casting affair !! That and a Intrepid Black Prince loaded with 3lb mono !

All my tackle was strapped to my push-bike, rod (singular) along the crossbar and an old wooden ammunition box for everything else. I didn't care 'cos I was fishing !!

And as for fairy liquid tops, I still have 2 or 3 in an old tackle box !!!!

Aye them were the days :)