Do you have to use a swivel - discuss

adders60

Do you have to always use a swivel ?

Just preparing a nice running rig, swivel taken off lead, end swivel clip when pushed into the buffer sleeve and the anti tangle sleeve is pushed on the other end that swivel clip no longer turns, so why use them line twist ?

You don't use them float fishing so whats right ?

Habit I guess. I don't think they are always a huge benefit, but they are rarely a hindrance. They are a simple solution to connecting two lines together, with the added benefit that tey may stop your hooklink sitting at an awkward angle. I see there to be very minimal pro's to not using one, and very little cons to using them. By them odds, I'd say its best to stick with a swivel.

Free turning of the line has never EVER entered my head mate and thats the truth .

What a numpty :cry:

Call myself a carp angler too :D

They say some people think too much well here you have someone who doesnt think at ALL ...

A simple rig ring will work, as would a standard quick link.

A swivel is used for the ease of attaching the line at either end, and it sure as heck doesn't prevent line twist or allow the swivels to spin freely :wink::wink:

Swivels also make for good locking deviices, locking the lead clip, locking the inline lead to a swivel is easy

Swivels are or can be used float fishing, some use them change floats quickly and some use them to attach their hook-length to as a final dropper.

Do a search on g for "float adaptors" and you'll see a vast array :shock:

My comparison to float fishing was only to say that more often pole fishing, float fishing waggler rod you hardly see the need for a swivel, hence the line twist reasons are not applicable

For some reason I have always kept my swivel on the lead, added a swivel to every rig I have made up.

Will try loop connection on hooklinks with anti tangle sleeve and quick link

Taken swivel off leads for my running rigs

All looking a lot tidier and simple

I think swivels are more of a convenience, they have a large hole so that the line can pass through easily.

I think I'm right in saying that swivels primary use was for lure fishing where because the thing [lure] is designed to spin round, the swivel actually has a chance to work as intended; as Nick said above, the swivels probably don't spin anyway.

Adders mate , ive never ever tied one on to any hook link that i've made myself .

When i first started carping i used ready made hooklinks (usually esp or drennan method rigs) and they always had a size 8 swivel attached but arent they a pain in the bum when you want to change rigs ?

Since being confident enough to tie my own rigs i've always used a loop at the end attached to a gardner quick lok swivel on the mainline which sits perfectly in lead clips or in my case buffer beads for running rigs.

And that includes braids , though occasionally an ovel rig ring does the job.

Yeah it can mate but i only take em off if im changing hooklinks anyway. The one that comes off goes in the bin whether i've caught with it or not .

I find you do a lot more damage to the braid with baiting needles on the hair .

Quick lok swivel AND ordinary size 8 swivel ? No mate WAY too much metal . A little esp rig sleeve protects the quick lok and bobs your aunties live in lover .

Just keep it as simple as possible imo

Edit to say ; pulling a swivel through a pva stick ? Nah :shock:

Yeah mate ive seen it on you tube many times . He used to post on here a lot and his input is sorely missed imo .

And he hates leaders & rig tubing too :lol: though you dont have much option.

Good luck to you adds...

• 1 month later...

I think swivels are more of a convenience, they have a large hole so that the line can pass through easily.

I think I'm right in saying that swivels primary use was for lure fishing where because the thing [lure] is designed to spin round, the swivel actually has a chance to work as intended; as Nick said above, the swivels probably don't spin anyway.

Swivels are more than just a convenience for me, and I still don't think that they work as intended, probably partly because we cover one side with a nice lead clip or rubber sleeve, to stop tangles, but also because I don't think that line as it compresses and twists will exert enough 'pressure' to untwist. I think a swivel needs a fair amount of force to make it swivel.

One thing that they are very handy for is attaching the hooklink to the mainline. The eye is large enough to pass the mainline (or hooklink) through twice to create a very safe strong knot. I don't like joining lengths of line together, (mono leader or braided (leadcore for those that have to :roll:  :evil:  ) a knot creates a weak spot; so joining a hooklink with a knot to mainline is a worry for me, although I do it when I'm small fish fishing with fine lines :confused:  :roll:

One very big advantage that swivels have in that join is regularly changing rigs, you automatically cut away a (short) length of the mainline, this piece of mainline just happens to be the section most likely to be damaged anyway, the lead rubbing over it, the run ring running up and down it, all will weaken that last bit especially, plus with the lead, it is the section that gets most force exerted on it during casting, causing stretch, and weakened line.