Canal/River Leicester - anyone tried it or fancy it?

After catching a carp from the Soar at the back end of last summer, I am planning a bit of a mini campaign for this spring/summer.

I've not got a very long attention span for fishing lakes for days on end without catching, I prefer short sessions either early or after work and also the buzz of not knowing what will come out.

I am not looking for venue advice as such, as I fish a few matches and pleasure fishing on the canal, so I have a fairly good idea of where the carp should be. I know there are a lot of fish at the loughborough end, but I am planning on fishing closer to home (leicester city) as I want to prebait/fish lots of short sessions and I dont want to spend my time driving across town.

Is anyone else local into this kind of fishing....? or fancy meeting up...

Part of my preperation involved the purchase of a set of 3 nash scope 9ft rods today for the tight towpath swims. 8)

Which parts of the canal through leicester are you looking to fish?

I have toyed with the idea of doing the same for years, but knowing that there are some iffy characters about in the inner city stretches near the footy ground has always put me off.

I have had carp out of the canal just south of wigston near kilby bridge having done a 48hr session there in oct. 99.

This resulted in 2 mirrors A 19lb and a 21lb, 10oz.

Fairly sure there are a few carp around the crow mills area near south wigston, but have seen some nice looking areas out towards newton harcourt.

Good to hear from another likeminded soul! I wasnt expecting to get many runs on this topicn :lol:

Canal-wise the stretches you mention were pretty much what I was thinking of. I know of a couple that have come out in the last year in matches and I have been smashed pole fishing a couple of times. There is a lot of promising looking pegs at Kilby, what with all the moored up boats. There are also a couple of spots at Crow mills, with some nice lilly pads that look promising.

There is a fairly obvious looking marina out at debdale, but that is on another club book. Between kilby and debdale I dont know the canal that well, there are a couple of turning bays, but I dont think much in way of permanent moored boats, which I think are probably the major attraction for a canal carp. Cartainly out this way I would be more inclined to be quite mobie, searching out the fish, whereas at kilby/crow mills I think I'd be fairly confident where the fish were.

Something that has changed in the last couple of years is the proliferation of signal crayfish. I have some maples and general particles that I was going to bait with, but I think the crays will make mincemeat of these. I was thinking of getting some tiger nuts and/or peanuts.

It's a long time ago since 99, but i had both mine on 20mm Source bottom baits with a few freebies and pellets.

Not sure o the crayish levels back then, but i guess there's methods that will keep the hookbaist safe a while nowadays (meshing etc.)

I did prebait the spots or a few days beforehand, but kept things ultra simple bait wise.

Mainly because next to no one fishes or the carp on canals.

I did find that particles attracted bream like a magnet.

• 2 years later...

I know the River Soar received a comprehensive chapter in Neil Waytes River Carping when that was published a few years ago, with some spots, rigs and baits etc.

One thing I have found in keeping crayfish at bay, armour or stocking mesh does not always work, the big Signals will cut through it, even in four layers deep around your baits, and at Armormesh £10 a pop is an expensive way to deal with it!

On Nazeing I had to resort to drilled wooden balls soaked in bait dip, in my case an emulsifier/sweetener, Marine 17 liquid and Hold'em Liquid.

The Hold'em Liquid is an aniseed based oil used for holding game birds in your feeding area.

You may be able to avoid Crays if you fish areas that are more silty rather than hard bottomed.

Interesting idea to avoid the crays. I did a night last year and they were a real issue. If anyone on here fancies a few sessions fishing or even looking for the carp around the canals then let me know. I have seen them very recently in a few locations and my scope rods arrive tomorrow... can't wait!! Email me jellyfishinatrifle@gmail.com

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I’ve been up and down the canal all year from the city ground up to kilby bridge and haven’t spotted a single carp :( this it truly saddening as I set my goal for this year to catch a barge dogging water pig ,, I’m unsure what steps to take next as I can’t travel to far out of Leicester in my search , is there anyone here that can help and point me in the right direction, thank you 

• 1 year later...
On 08/07/2020 at 01:39, Sharkbait LE2 said:

I’ve been up and down the canal all year from the city ground up to kilby bridge and haven’t spotted a single carp :( this it truly saddening as I set my goal for this year to catch a barge dogging water pig ,, I’m unsure what steps to take next as I can’t travel to far out of Leicester in my search , is there anyone here that can help and point me in the right direction, thank you 

hi there, (pretty late response sorry about that... a year late) im pretty sure some carp do live in kilby bridge area as i seen one this summer. i think there are a few in leicester straight mile too! across the lcfc ground all up to bede park hold a few carp from what i have heard. but you get some dodgy people down there so take small tackle and low end ones too. but in this scenario, pre baiting is possibly needed before taking a step for your session/sessions. im only 17 but i know the canals since it is very local to me. seems like all the fish now are killed and ate by the Europeans.

19 hours ago, kieran75843 said:

hi there, (pretty late response sorry about that... a year late) im pretty sure some carp do live in kilby bridge area as i seen one this summer. i think there are a few in leicester straight mile too! across the lcfc ground all up to bede park hold a few carp from what i have heard. but you get some dodgy people down there so take small tackle and low end ones too. but in this scenario, pre baiting is possibly needed before taking a step for your session/sessions. im only 17 but i know the canals since it is very local to me. seems like all the fish now are killed and ate by the Europeans.

I used to feed the carp bread in my lunch break around the weir at King Power Stadium, sitting on the lock gate, fish were often there, some good ones too.  Wanted to fish for them but didn't feel comfortable in the area.  Said to have done a 40lb fish and I believe it possible from what I've seen - many years ago mind!  Unfortunately lots of evidence of predators south of the City, not sure what the score is in town?

• 2 months later...