Otters your thoughts

andy52

As the title suggests what are your thoughts on the otter?

Discuss.......

I think if you are in fishery management, and have not put up/saving up to put up an otter fence, you are asking for trouble. The fact is they are a threat, we can all sit and moan about it, sign silly things on Facebook and the suchlike, blame him, blame her, this corporation that corporation....but it won't make the problem go away. The last recorded release of otters was 20 years ago [sic Ken Towley], hand reared otters are probably being released at places they shouldn't be, but there is very little evidence to show what has been released, why would you document an iligal act? How on earth are you going to get the government to listen? we are of course complaining about a native species eating 'our' artificially stocked fish. What argument do we have? You may as well start a petition against but he sun because it melted your ice cream.

We are well past the prevention stage, we need to look at the cure/shift the problem. Otter fences are as good as we legally have. Although they are completely unfeasible at some venues, sad fact is, those venues will get ottered at some point. Farmers don't complain when they kill their chickens, they just shoot them and keep quiet!

As the title suggests what are your thoughts on the otter?

Discuss.......

I think if you are in fishery management, and have not put up/saving up to put up an otter fence, you are asking for trouble. The fact is they are a threat, we can all sit and moan about it, sign silly things on Facebook and the suchlike, blame him, blame her, this corporation that corporation....but it won't make the problem go away. The last recorded release of otters was 20 years ago [sic Ken Towley], hand reared otters are probably being released at places they shouldn't be, but there is very little evidence to show what has been released, why would you document an iligal act? How on earth are you going to get the government to listen? we are of course complaining about a native species eating 'our' artificially stocked fish. What argument do we have? You may as well start a petition against but he sun because it melted your ice cream.

We are well past the prevention stage, we need to look at the cure/shift the problem. Otter fences are as good as we legally have. Although they are completely unfeasible at some venues, sad fact is, those venues will get ottered at some point. Farmers don't complain when they kill their chickens, they just shoot them and keep quiet!

Very we'll put , I was trying to come with something along these lines but gave up .

Maybe rather than a petition that is ultimately aimed at killing otters ,one that will never amount to anything, a petition should be set up to try and get funding for otter proofing fisheries at risk

Grangemilkys last sentence is the one that has been on my mind for some time.

If you find evidence of otters,no need to make a song and dance about it,deal with it quietly.

I am lucky enough to fish for some big carp on the lakes near home,I don't think the members there are going to see them destroyed one by one.

The otter is a native UK animal which deserves to be able to live and breed in the wild; however , as with all wildlife nowadays, the only way that there will be an equilibrium with otters in the wild is by good management.

Currently otters are allowed to run free and cause mayhem to fish stocks in all types of water. There are no predators to control their numbers, and an official cull can not be carried out because of their protected status.

Unless government takes a well rounded view to the issue, looking at all of the facts with an unbiased attitude and then implements a good management programme, the problem will get worse and will end up with fishery owners and land managers taking the law into their own hands and shooting / poisoning the otters.

The otter is a native UK animal which deserves to be able to live and breed in the wild; however , as with all wildlife nowadays, the only way that there will be an equilibrium with otters in the wild is by good management.

Currently otters are allowed to run free and cause mayhem to fish stocks in all types of water. There are no predators to control their numbers, and an official cull can not be carried out because of their protected status.

Unless government takes a well rounded view to the issue, looking at all of the facts with an unbiased attitude and then implements a good management programme, the problem will get worse and will end up with fishery owners and land managers taking the law into their own hands and shooting / poisoning the otters.

Equally well put dal , im highly in favour of your final 3 words ....

I must admit , having an urban background , im not really familiar with otter history .

What led to their protected status in the first place ? I dont recall uproar like this when i was a kid . My dad and his mates used to shoot the damn foxes for worrying the chickens but there was never any fuss about otters in the news or in papers ?

Otter used to be considered little more than vermin and were often killed by anglers and farmers without any big decline in their numbers.

The big decline in numbers happened in (If I remember correctly) the 60's and 70's when they were killed to near extinction in the UK by pesticides.

Once the numbers were critically low, they were put on the endangered list and given protected status.

Around this time, in the late 70's I think, the wildlife organizations put a lot of effort into changing the public conception from vermin to lovable wildlife animal (Which they were obviously very successful at).

Otters were then bred in captivity in the UK and released into the wild throughout the 80's and 90's (The last official / legal release was in 1999).

Since then the otters have bred in the wild successfully and their numbers have grown amex despite the fact that they are not an endangered species in the UK anymore they still retain their protected status and are free to ruin waters and fisheries up and down the country.

Yeah well since they are no longer an endangered species they should be removed from the protected list .

Somebody with the correct resources and access to this sort of information needs to do some digging and come up with another example of wild animal to use as a precedent that the afore mentioned can take to court .

Otters are indigenous to the UK, and as such should be part of a balanced nature.

In addition to this, the favoured food of otters, the eel is now in decline.

However in their madness, government has decreed that otters should be totally protected, and this protection has meant that numbers far exceed that of a natural or balanced population, and they are now a pest tp fisheries.

What needs to be sorted is this total protection, however fisheries are also partly to blame. At some point fisheries that were making money hand over fist should have spent money on fencing, instead the owners were only interested in sticking as much in the bank as they could, or buying big fish to get the next load of punters in.

Other fisheries, especially close to rivers, were not able to be properly fenced, or some fisheries, it simply wasn't possible.

However numbers of otters do need to be controlled

It is quite obvious that Otter will never be put on a list as a pest, because that could mean an all out cull, something no genuine country person would wish.

However they could be put on the list of game animals with a relevent season, if this was to come about I would make it my first priority to get the EEs eating them, that way they wouldnt be wasted!

You can get grants I believe towards otter fencing, sometimes its too late such as West Stow that suffered and had to fence after the event

Nothing worse than seeing your water and fish stock slowly destroyed, members will take years to come back and this can ruin a business

If your venue is close to a river its game over or will be in the future unless something is done to control them

Some years back all you heard was cormorant problems, now its otters

You can get grants I believe towards otter fencing, sometimes its too late such as West Stow that suffered and had to fence after the event

Nothing worse than seeing your water and fish stock slowly destroyed, members will take years to come back and this can ruin a business

If your venue is close to a river its game over or will be in the future unless something is done to control them

Trouble is your lake don't need to be near a river, otters will travel 5 miles over land to feed, sometimes you don't see your stock slowly dwindle, 1 minute you've got 300 fish next you've none

Part of the problem is people think because they signed a petition there a hero when in reality sighing a petition makes no difference wats so ever. If our main weapon is as many scribbles on a peice of paper as possible what do people think going to happen? Geniine

But legally what else can we do :?::?

Part of the problem is people think because they signed a petition there a hero when in reality sighing a petition makes no difference wats so ever. If our main weapon is as many scribbles on a peice of paper as possible what do people think going to happen? genuine

I don't think people think they are hero's because the have signed a petition, we sign them in hope that when they are handed in that they are taken seriously, As much as people would love to take it into their own hands it won't happen it can only be done in a legitimate way and im sorry to say that it will only get sorted by an act of parliament. As we cant just go and knock on their door and say "hey mate how about sorting these otters out down at our lake" we have to rely on as many as possible anglers signing the petition. TBH I would be quite happy to go back to the good old days

Gotta be carefull what I say but in certain areas otter populations are lets just say under control. If your relying on petions and parliment to sort the problem out you not gona have much left to fish for.

But if isolated people sort their problems , risking imprisonment I might add, any fishery owner who does this risks loosing their fishery as well as liberty.

Strength is in numbers, if the 2 million anglers In this country signed up, parliament would have to listen

Personally id be willing to risk imprisoment because I have my own moral compass and taking action on a creature that destroys peoples way of life and to me carp fishing is a way of life. The laws the govwrment ans police break like hillsbough and illeagal wars who are they to say whats right and wrong.