Security on the bank

biff600

Just wondering, what kind of security measures do you take when going for a night session?

I am planning on going at least once a month when the weather improves, but I am concerned after reading so much about kit getting stolen.

I would hate to wake to find any of my stuff gone, and although I don't intend sleeping much, there's the possibility of having an hour or so's snooze.

What do you recommend?

Just wondering, what kind of security measures do you take when going for a night session?

I am planning on going at least once a month when the weather improves, but I am concerned after reading so much about kit getting stolen.

I would hate to wake to find any of my stuff gone, and although I don't intend sleeping much, there's the possibility of having an hour or so's snooze.

What do you recommend?

30 cans of red bull :wink:

I don't condone violence of any sort but after being threatened on the bank once before I keep billy the bat in the bottom of my bag if your night fishing you can get pir detectors that you can set up around the swim just to let you know if someone comes into the vicinity.

As many of us who have tried perimeter alarms, or crude alarms made from bite alarms and line, when they go off in the night, usually due to rats or foxes, what do you do? You sit there worrying yourself hoping someone isn't going to rape you.

If someone is going to steal your gear, sensible thing to do is to just let them take it.

Personally I think the best way to safeguard your tackle is to use an open fronted brolly, and sleep right on your rods. Loud snoring comming from a zipped up bivvy is always going to be the main target for theft.

It also helps to have a stainless bankstick or a bat to hand, but honestly, what are you going to do with it? Kill them? You pull a baseball bat on a thief, chances are someone's going to hospital, had a high chance it's not going to be the scumbag with nothing to live for anyway.

I don't mind taking him fishing but he thinks the lake belongs to him when he's there. He's a big lad as I say 30kg and he does look a bit scary when he does the staffy stance barking at everything but he's a good wing man to have with you and most people are more scared of a dog than a bat

These thieves usually walk the lake first looking and sizing up victims.

I try to take note of these and prepare myself for "what if" . Usually getting myself all worked up over nothing! But if it did happen , who knows ---it's fight or flight. .............

So glad I'm a runner! My life's worth more then my tackle. :D

Its a sad state of affairs when we have to worry for our safety while doing one of the most relaxing pastimes there is. I had a problem about 18 months ago and to be honest and truthful I was scared for my safety called the police who did come but when they realised the pool was fenced and locked at the gate just drove off and the youths involved didn't bat an eyelid. I had to get the son in law to drive over with a few colleagues of his(they scared me more than the youths. when these brave yobs who wanted to chuck me in with my tackle realised what they where going to get they soon beat a hasty retreat. Its the only thing they understand the threat of violence. I don't fish there anymore and fish a pool that has plenty of dog walkers about so your never really isolated

On Essington Pools (dando's & The Green) they now have PCSO's walking around now if anyone knows Essington its a quiet little village but the parish council will not tolerate any untoward behaviour I think mainly youths on white lightning getting a tad lairy. I suppose those more at risk are anglers that fish pools and lakes off the beaten track and that's what serious tackle thieves target. So make sure people know where you are make sure you have charge/credit on your phone and don't let your guard down to much.

I'm very lucky to fish a secure water, where I feel safe to leave my kit set-up or on the barrow while I walk circuits. People could get in if they really wanted to but it seems unlikely when there are far easier places to target. The only people there are members and you get to know most and would know if someone didn't belong, and look out for each other.

This is great for now but I have noticed that it has affected how I feel on public waters, places I fished for years, I had 3 nights available on a day ticket water not long back but came home after one night - just didn't feel completely safe.

\

I've got a dog which is great for early warnings but I'd worry that he could get seriously hurt if a gang came along intent on taking my kit.

\

In 30 years I've never witnessed tackle theft whilst fishing but after reading so many accounts its put me off public waters completely - I don't know if I'm just being silly, going soft or what.

Kev, its not a case of going soft, more a case of self preservation. The lunt Pool In Bilston about two yrs ago had such a bad problem to the extent that a lad was thrown in and bricks thrown at him until he eventually drowned. Its a case of picking your venue carefully as you have done and I think most people on here do the same.

Kev, its not a case of going soft, more a case of self preservation. The lunt Pool In Bilston about two yrs ago had such a bad problem to the extent that a lad was thrown in and bricks thrown at him until he eventually drowned. Its a case of picking your venue carefully as you have done and I think most people on here do the same.

I remember this situation, it received a lot of coverage at the time. Just googled it, there's lots to be read.

Ian

Cheers mate - more to life than fishing kit eh

\

Oh and that's truly shocking - there's some scum out there that's for sure

I'm not going to condone violence, and if you end up taking someone on who does nick, or attempt to nick your gear, then someone is going to get hurt. The thieving toe-rags may deserve what they get, but if you get arrested for assault, ABH, GBH etc, then it won't make a difference as you will be the one stuck in Her Majesty's pleasure.

Taking an offensive weapon with you also immediately marks you out as liable for arrest.

A few weeks ago, I was fishing, and a lad went missing from home one night. First thing in the morning the police were walking around the lake, and asked if I had seen him. They looked inside the bivvy, and I got pulled up over my lock knife, which I use for food preparation when fishing. It is an offensive weapon, and as such I could have had it confiscated or been arrested for it.

If you do have to defend yourself, then use something that is LEGALLY to hand, throwing stick or the like. You can use reasonable force to defend yourself, and it is that term reasonable force, that is open to debate. What one old bill may call reasonable, another will call excessive and you could be facing charges. Stabbing someone is likely to be classed as excessive, and even having the weapon, you can be arrested.

Now as it happens, I have left my gear on the banks of the lakes at Nazeing while I've gone to the shops, or for a walk around looking for fish and never had a problem. I have had more problem ont he lake in the Spot The Shelter thread, and that is a small park lake.

There is a pool not to far from me "Garringtons Works Pool" The company closed down years and years ago, but there are still some very good fish in there although nobody maintains it any more. Its quite an isolated area and a traveller camp backs onto it. I fished it a few times and never ever had any trouble off the travellers they would pass the time of day and ask how you where doing they where more interested in their horses. One day I turned up to find 4 blokes and a woman fishing with large containers it was as obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse what was going on. Robbing the fish. The way they where watching me straight away put me on edge and I decided discretion was the better part of valour and moved on.

I'm not going to condone violence, and if you end up taking someone on who does nick, or attempt to nick your gear, then someone is going to get hurt. The thieving toe-rags may deserve what they get, but if you get arrested for assault, ABH, GBH etc, then it won't make a difference as you will be the one stuck in Her Majesty's pleasure.

Taking an offensive weapon with you also immediately marks you out as liable for arrest.

A few weeks ago, I was fishing, and a lad went missing from home one night. First thing in the morning the police were walking around the lake, and asked if I had seen him. They looked inside the bivvy, and I got pulled up over my lock knife, which I use for food preparation when fishing. It is an offensive weapon, and as such I could have had it confiscated or been arrested for it.

If you do have to defend yourself, then use something that is LEGALLY to hand, throwing stick or the like. You can use reasonable force to defend yourself, and it is that term reasonable force, that is open to debate. What one old bill may call reasonable, another will call excessive and you could be facing charges. Stabbing someone is likely to be classed as excessive, and even having the weapon, you can be arrested.

Now as it happens, I have left my gear on the banks of the lakes at Nazeing while I've gone to the shops, or for a walk around looking for fish and never had a problem. I have had more problem ont he lake in the Spot The Shelter thread, and that is a small park lake.

Do you think the people coming to steal your kit are worried weather they are carrying a offensive weapon?! No body will take my kit that i have worked and sweated for not a chance