combi rig

tmjones

If I said Amnesia would you be surprised?

In 20 or 30lb breaking strain, and black or clear dependant on lakebed.

I honestly don't think that in many cases the hooklink really matters if it is camouflaged on the lakebed, there will be weed, twigs, sticks, stones and everything that all show up, and so break up the hooklink materials from being too obvious.

Add to that, and in the depths of the lake, I bet your clear water is a lot more murky :wink:

I think it was the first material used for a combi-rig tied to braid, and I started using it back in the 1990's and still use it today.

The only change now I that I'm pretty much using Merlin for the braided section almost exclusively

I use the same materials bought for my chod rigs, esp stiff & mouthtrap both in 15lb, i have used coated braids for the boom but prefer the mono, once it's steamed over the kettle it stays quite rigid.

Stiffer mono can but a tad fiddly to tie the hair too, as i found making some rigs recently.

To make life easier when you fold the line over at the end the hair goes on, slide a large or xl sinker on first, keeping it on both parts of the line, this will hold the loop in place whilst tying the hair on.

When the hair is tied slide the sinker up on both parts of the line and over the knot, trim tag end and voila :)

Combi-rig pic and set up on this thread:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57620

The rig in the pic had actually been on the rods, and had recently landed a new PB for me, hence the knot tail of the mainline being just cut off the rods, and rig photographed :wink:

Thanks nick, i'm just waiting for some mouthtrap in 15lb to be delivered .that should do I think.what length of braid do you recommend. Tim

In the link, I know the bottom pic shows my rig length and make-up. That is not to say it is right or wrong, but I prefer to have two thirds of the length being the stiff material.

I know others have different feelings on that. :wink:

• 1 month later...

I have just started using a combi rig. If I'm honest it is just because they seem so popular. Are there any benefits to using a combi rig to just using a stiff coated braid and peeling back an inch or so? Which is what I normally would do......

I use both the stripped back and the combi-rig.

With a combi-rig, I would suggest that you check the knot between the materials after every fish, and change the hooklink regularly. I have had a knot fail after I played and landed a good 20, then without checking the knot between the braid and Amnesia cast out, and then lost another good fish when the knot gave way. My fault for NOT checking!

With the stripped back hooklink, the same rig can be used to land a number of fish, obviously checking hook and the knots as well, but you only have to check hook knot and mainline join, compared to the 3 on the combi-link.

Personally I don't see the point in combi rigs and have tried them many, many times whilst doing far better on pure and semi stiff braids etc, and pure stiff rigs but I still like the idea of a combi and in my opinion the perfect material for it is fluoro

I like my .37 Seaguar ace hard stuff a lot, I use it as a leader all the time and it is a lovely material. amazingly the BS is 23lb, and trust me that is a very unusual strength to diameter ratio for fluorocarb, most other readily available fluoros I have come across are horribly thick and ungainly

best thing is try a few and dig around. In my opinion if you want a genuine proper combi rig you have to have that stiff section stiff, and while you're on the case, why not make it invisible too?

Also be careful about what you are fishing over because if it is even slightly weedy you are going to have your hookbait sticking up at a horrible angle with anything at all other than very supple pure braid mate

Edited by theobeeus