Secret squirrel

blanksalot

I see that the majority of unanswered posts are in the venues section,

There seems to be a pattern all over the web , even on some f.b groups.

It starts with the question " ey up lads, i'm off to x-lake for 48hrs, wot swim, bait & rigs pls" usually in txt spk too :roll:

OK there may not be anyone reading with genuine info but i feel that those who have spent countless hours with the marker rod and bino's mapping and watching the water aren't prepared to hand it over on a plate.

I've spent hundreds of hours trying to figure out the underwater world on one water and still haven't cracked it.

Some waters provide a feature map, is this taking the skill out of angling ?

E.G, If the majority of anglers who fish peg 1 cast to the gravel bar at 50yds the fish may associate this with danger and move off leaving umpteen kilos on the lake bed.

Or is it a cunning ploy by the owners to get bivvies on the bank by doing some of the hard work in advance.

Personally i'd use my current rigs,bait & tactics and take them anywhere, tweaking if needed throughout the session, and move swims if need be.

Your thoughts on this one chaps.

I see that the majority of unanswered posts are in the venues section,

There seems to be a pattern all over the web , even on some f.b groups.

It starts with the question " ey up lads, i'm off to x-lake for 48hrs, wot swim, bait & rigs pls" usually in txt spk too :roll:

OK there may not be anyone reading with genuine info but i feel that those who have spent countless hours with the marker rod and bino's mapping and watching the water aren't prepared to hand it over on a plate.

I've spent hundreds of hours trying to figure out the underwater world on one water and still haven't cracked it.

Some waters provide a feature map, is this taking the skill out of angling ?

E.G, If the majority of anglers who fish peg 1 cast to the gravel bar at 50yds the fish may associate this with danger and move off leaving umpteen kilos on the lake bed.

Or is it a cunning ploy by the owners to get bivvies on the bank by doing some of the hard work in advance.

Personally i'd use my current rigs,bait & tactics and take them anywhere, tweaking if needed throughout the session, and move swims if need be.

Your thoughts on this one chaps.

I'm the same as you, I take my fishing, as it works for me onto new waters, and still try and learn from other anglers, there and from articles, ideas on here etc.

I will share some of my information, but definitely not all, anglers have to do some of the work themselves; it helps them improve as anglers. What is the point in giving the latest rig/bait and the like? and then next time they start blanking they can't come up with an idea themselves to cure the problem.

That info I will hand over, a few years ago, someone asked nicely if I had info on Earith Virginia syndicate; I quite gladly sent over the map I had drawn up of the lake, they hadn't asked, but I offered. I also gave them an opinion that the best way to get the fish was to pre-bait with a good food source.

Its not everything, you still have to find the fish, and still come up with a good bait and then put it into the right place.

for me personally i would answer questions on what bait, maybe rigs but where to cast or what swim not a chance( on my 2 syndicate waters that is). ive been on one for 7 years and the other 2 yrs and ive spent hours upon hours, days,weeks months even years learning the spots, features, what swims in what conditions etc and there is no way someone new will get that info from me just by asking me outright. and i say that because what do they actually learn for themselves by being put in a swim, on a spot and then banking say the lakes biggie. then he is off to the next lake not knowing the real reason why he caught said fish and then struggles on his next lake etc. if someone new is on my lake and i see them working at it for themselves then i'd happily offer some of my knowledge of the lake but not enough so that he knows enough to get in my way lol. i learnt the hard way and feel its made me the angler i am today and id like to think ive been quite successful i feel. ok ive had help on bait from someone i regard as having an excellent bait brain but on the lakes themselves its 99% self learnt.

Very much depends on the difficulty of the water, on easy lakes if I'm catching I have been known to hand over rigs and bait then tell people where to cast, but if fishing harder waters for better fish I'd rather keep working methods under my hat, if half the fish in the lake would want my bait if they found it I want to be the one using it.

Personally i have no problem given any information if asked assuming the person/s asking are not complete twits

This is my take on giving up information , how people come across . If the first thing they tell you is that are "top rod" on their other lake then they can stuff off if they are that good then crack on and figure it out .

I have had to edit a post or 3 on this thread:

Swearing will not be Tolerated on the Forum.

I have removed and edited posts to remove [censored] language. There is no need for it. If you cannot post without swearing then simply do not post!

As for Swearing, I don't care if you use asterisks, @, figures etc to replace a letter. The Implication is there and as far as I'm concerned counts as Swearing.

If you cannot post without swearing then simply do not post!

The post will simply be removed and the Member who swears will be BANNED INSTANTLY.

I think it's very common to speak to other anglers on the lake and ask for a bit of info if you've only got 48hrs and someone has been there for 3 days and tells you all the fish are coming out on 6ft zigs from the south end of the lake are you going to ignore him or stick all 3 rods out on the bottom at the north end of lake?

or you could just walk round the lake see no signs and talk to no one all you need to know is where they have been coming from and whats wrong in asking what they responding to after all it's only fishing

if any of you had a problem with a bit of tackle, reels bivvy etc you would not hesitate to ask on here

whats the difference?

I think it's very common to speak to other anglers on the lake and ask for a bit of info if you've only got 48hrs and someone has been there for 3 days and tells you all the fish are coming out on 6ft zigs from the south end of the lake are you going to ignore him or stick all 3 rods out on the bottom at the north end of lake?

or you could just walk round the lake see no signs and talk to no one all you need to know is where they have been coming from and whats wrong in asking what they responding to after all it's only fishing

if any of you had a problem with a bit of tackle, reels bivvy etc you would not hesitate to ask on here

whats the difference?

when you say the bloke who's been there 3 days tells you to fish the south end of the lake with 6ft zigs, that tells me he isnt doing that himself or he would of said the fish are in this area and coming out on 6ft zigs. now my first question would then be , so why aint he down the south end where all the fish are :? ? so what im saying is, dont take everything your told as correct, someone will always throw you a curve ball :wink::wink:

There three main questions that get asked which is location, bait and pegs. If somebody asking these questions it just says to me they want there captures on a plate when imo you should have to to work for decent carp you shouldn't want it on a plate and if your not prepared to put the graft in you never going to get consistant resalts anyway as your always one step behind when your aim should be to be one step ahead. Also when I see these questions answard the people giveing the information are sometimes talking utter garbage anyway.