Angling accidents-how many?

nathanhuynh

Why is it that every season I fall in at least once? And see two more people fall in too. And almost always on the cast!

Why is it that once per year I make a fool of myself by hooking a big stick and thinking it was a PB carp, getting the net set up and all to see a massive rotten log covered in black mud surface!

And why is it that every year I hook a chair or bivvy on the cast, then end up falling flat on my face!

what other angling accidents do you encounter?

Missed my chance at Red October one night at stupid o'clock because I was a bit groggy and thought I had a railway sleeper or tree hooked. I was getting a bit German with it and just as it started to move off and I realised it was a fish my line broke. That was about 8 yrs ago and I still think 'what if?'. I also cast into a tree across the river once and attempted to pull my rig out (50 lb braid). I wrapped something around my hand, wrapped the line and started walking away. When I heard the branches crack and a 'tschew' sound I half turned to look and caught my 3oz pear lead in the belly. It didn't go right in but blistered a hole in my abdomen, (and my t-shirt)...lots of blood too. Good thing I didn't get it in the head or it might of killed me.

Last year I went a little too fast with my barrow trying to get over a tree root, stopped dead, upended, and I flew over the top and slid down onto my face.

I have also lost count the amount I times I have lightly touched my spomb onto the top of my bivvy and dumped its contents all over.

I haven't fallen in for years though, however I did lean on my stove just after using it, I only noticed after I could smell pork, I was fishing a high bank and jumped in to cool my hand! However it was the height of summer and I was already soaking after wading around earlier!

My concern is a fish spitting the hook etc and the sinker/hook flying at your face as you are pulling it towards you. I had one of those incidents last year. The lead and hook flew left of me into a bush. I try to wear sunglasses where possible. A hook in the eye wouldn't be a laughing matter. I have seen pictures of it happening.

My concern is a fish spitting the hook etc and the sinker/hook flying at your face as you are pulling it towards you. I had one of those incidents last year. The lead and hook flew left of me into a bush. I try to wear sunglasses where possible. A hook in the eye wouldn't be a laughing matter. I have seen pictures of it happening.

or even a 2 oz lead in the cheek.... ouch

or even a 2 oz lead in the cheek.... ouch

Yes where a hook may be painful a lead can be lethal, especially if it's one cracked off from a cast.