Dream Lakes amount and preparation of Boilies

jay_winter

Hey guys

I've got a week at Dreamlakes in France coming up and I wanted to get an idea of the sort of quantities of bait people have used over a weeks session

It is a Boilies only venue and the bait that is sold at the lake is mainline cell and other mainline products. I believe this is their fresh / frozen range.

So that brings me on to my next question, how do your store and prepare frozen Boilies?

I was a bailiff in France last year and people went through between 20-40kg on average. More bait seemed to give better results (if fished in correct location etc).

We allowed anglers to get their bait when they needed it in 5 or 10kg. if you cannot do this, an freezer box for a few days then air dry seemed to do the trick.

When using the bait on the boilie only waters, do something different. My best results came from spombing 5kg of bait over the area in the afternoon before fishing the night over it. I would crush or chop all of this bait as the fish will see round baits day in day out.

It should do, expecially mainline baits. they may start going white, but this is just the sugars coming out. I used to get left bait from anglers who were leaving, and the whiter the better!

BTW, im not usre where you get your mainline bait from, or the price, but we have the 10kg bags for £85! http://taskers-angling.co.uk/mainline-cell-1kg-bag-1.html and the 1kg bag for £8.49 each.

its upto you but i know my mates have been out there with a bait from premier baits which has done some very big catches out of dreamlakes. they have it semi preserved( something premier do for european trips or if you have little storage space, think it gives your bait a 3 month shelf life). will be cheaper than mainline i would think. give premier a call and im sure they will help you out if you decide to go that way. good luck

It should do, expecially mainline baits. they may start going white, but this is just the sugars coming out. I used to get left bait from anglers who were leaving, and the whiter the better!

BTW, im not usre where you get your mainline bait from, or the price, but we have the 10kg bags for £85! http://taskers-angling.co.uk/mainline-cell-1kg-bag-1.html and the 1kg bag for £8.49 each.

So it's cheaper to buy it in 1Kg bags then :shock:

Time for a price drop on the 10Kg bucket methinks :wink::P

I would just avoid the cell altogether, if you want a similar bait try catcher baits bs1, cracking bait at a fraction if the cost, if you ask they glug it in a mould inhibitor for you, it smells great and keeps it fresh longer.

Premiere baits have already been mentioned, and they are who I would be talking to, premiere make the baits that catch all the carp that you see in the magazines with .

"Caught using the cell" written underneath :lol:

So your recommending stay away from mainline

See from what I've seen there are a lot of catches off the cell and he grange

It is the bait that's used there all the time so it's what the fish are used to and also what is sold there as well

I really don't want to chop and change over the course of the week

It is the bait that's used there all the time so it's what the fish are used to and also what is sold there as well

I cant speak from experience because i've never been but i think the lads might be saying that if cell is what they see all the time it might also be the bait they are suspicious of .

As a side note , do people REALLY pile in 30+k of boilies a week over there ?

Why is it neccessary ? You wouldnt dream of it in this country so why ?

I cant speak from experience because i've never been but i think the lads might be saying that if cell is what they see all the time it might also be the bait they are suspicious of .

i went on my first trip to france last year and the lake i fished had something like 50x40lbers and when you get a few of them on your bait 5kg is gone in minutes. the bailiff told us that if the fish got on the feed proper then the 6 of us who went didnt have enough bait between us for 1 day let alone the week :shock: . and we all had 30kg plus each. i infact took 50kg just incase, i brought 20kg home but if they had been having it then it would of gone in

all the time it might also be the bait they are suspicious of .

Wouldn't you? I would, many many others would, not to mention he is probably fishing for much bigger fish in much bigger quantities. I once spilt 2k of boilies on my garage floor, and spread out, its absolutely nothing.

Thank you for that .

As i said , i've never been so i didnt know .

I do now .

Im surprised you do milky . I recall that on another thread recently , you said that you generally fish 24hr sessions . Are you not simply pre-baiting for the anglers that fish after you have left ?

Apologies if that wasnt you .

Just as a side note and trying not to hijack the thread , but i always read how a lot of people disapprove of carp (legally) imported from the continent into this country and refer to them as wrong uns etc then at the first oppurtunity they are off to france to try & catch their brethren ?

Weird !

Thank you for that .

As i said , i've never been so i didnt know .

I do now .

Im surprised you do milky . I recall that on another thread recently , you said that you generally fish 24hr sessions . Are you not simply pre-baiting for the anglers that fish after you have left ?

Apologies if that wasnt you .

Just as a side note and trying not to hijack the thread , but i always read how a lot of people disapprove of carp (legally) imported from the continent into this country and refer to them as wrong uns etc then at the first oppurtunity they are off to france to try & catch their brethren ?

Weird !

Your right, i did say that, tha majority of my time is spent on sub 24h sessions, however, occasionally, with the correct written request, I am allowed to do longer, and at te right time of the year I will always try to carry at least 4kg per 24hr. I don't buy expensive bait, to allow me to do it.

Yes I don't always use it, and will often bait up when I leave, but never in the sight of other anglers, and sometimes even bait in a 'safe' area, just to keep them on my bait. Does it help? Who knows, but I am much happier always carrying too much bait than not enough.

I know of a certain very experienced angler and bait maker fishing a day ticket water around my parts who has been known to use 15kg per day session!

As for the wrong un's bit, I couldn't agree more, however catching a French carp in France is different to catching a French carp in the UK. I am tempted to go to France this year, but just to be treated as a holiday.

So how is it different then ? Apart of course , from the holiday aspect ?

Wonder how many people would get the ump if they found out a carp they caught in france was english bred ? :lol::lol: :lol:

i know what you mean by hows it different :? . my mates go to france alot but if you ask them what their pb is then they only mention their english caught pb :? . and yet a couple of them have had 70lb plus carp from france and when i mention it to them they just say they dont count there french fish, its just a holiday. i went to france for the first time last year and caught what i class as my pb for the simple reason it is my personnal best, french or not i caught it. you dont hear jessica ennis not counting a pb performance because it wasnt in england do you :lol::lol:

Yep emm & john you are both quite right but i just cant get my head round why people feel the NEED to have to take 40/50 kg of boilies with em ?

Milky has tried to explain to me why, and i know that these huge fish can eat you out of house & home quickly but how do you know that the geezer who was in that swim before you , for example , didnt stick 50k of cell in the lake and blank for a week ?

What is your 50k going to acheive ?

I know its on a much smaller scale but if you turned up at a lake in this country on a monday , knowing the lake had been filled in over the weekend , who would fill it in again ?

Or who would put in a little bit of bait at first and then build it up slowly in accordance with how much action your getting ?

Especially if you have a week there .or have i got this all wrong and this is what most people do anyway and they HAVE to keep pilng the bait in ?

I have a feeling i may have answered my own question there lol

Copied and pasted from https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57613&sid=363dc90a90e20fa7fc103dc03e3f89ee

jay_winter

Posted: 12th Jan 2014 12:27 Post subject: Catcher Baits / Premier Baits / Mainline Baits

Hey guys

I'm fishing a week in France in September and I'm looking at my bait.

So my question is what do you guys recommend?

Premier / Catcher / or Mainline

I'm currently leaning towards the cell from mainline

Has anyone had good experiences with either of the above?

Thanks

markspod

Posted: 12th Jan 2014 14:08 Post subject:

Try and find out what's going into the lake? I use 2 baits at home (essential B5 & mainline Cell), one of the lakes I fish see's literally tons of cell, and has done every since cell has been out, needless to say on average my rods on cell, will out fish B5 on that venue, that said B5 seems to winkle out the bigger fish a lot of the time.

beza26

Posted: 12th Jan 2014 14:14 Post subject:

Personally I'd use premier baits.

Mainline are a great bait company but I would like to be slightly different from the crowd and not use cell (never have).

Plus you can't go wrong with premier anyway

jay_winter

Posted: 12th Jan 2014 14:28 Post subject:

Sorry beza

Can you recommend the bait you use from premier? Is it the fish meal product?

jay_winter

Posted: 12th Jan 2014 14:30 Post subject:

Pretty much everything is mainline, it's what they stock there as well

Most of its cell but there are people using the new grange as well

beza26

Posted: 12th Jan 2014 14:39 Post subject:

jay_winter wrote:

Sorry beza

Can you recommend the bait you use from premier? Is it the fish meal product?

I don't use one mate, I haven't really used boilies for the last couple of years I'm just saying with their track record you'll be safe with them.

I'd use them any time if I were back on the boilies.

grangemilky

Posted: 12th Jan 2014 15:32 Post subject:

Premiere matrix

liamclose

Posted: 12th Jan 2014 17:08 Post subject:

If you get the location right it wont make any difference at all which one you use. If you put any decent boilie on feeding fish you got good chance put any boilie in the world away from feeding fish you going to blank. It really is that simple.

jay_winter

Posted: 12th Jan 2014 17:21 Post subject:

Thank you

For your replies

Yep emm & john you are both quite right but i just cant get my head round why people feel the NEED to have to take 40/50 kg of boilies with em ?

Milky has tried to explain to me why, and i know that these huge fish can eat you out of house & home quickly but how do you know that the geezer who was in that swim before you , for example , didnt stick 50k of cell in the lake and blank for a week ?

What is your 50k going to acheive ?

I know its on a much smaller scale but if you turned up at a lake in this country on a monday , knowing the lake had been filled in over the weekend , who would fill it in again ?

Or who would put in a little bit of bait at first and then build it up slowly in accordance with how much action your getting ?

Especially if you have a week there .or have i got this all wrong and this is what most people do anyway and they HAVE to keep pilng the bait in ?

I have a feeling i may have answered my own question there lol

the thing with fishing in france is that the owner/resident bailiff (if the lake has them) will tell you who caught what, who fished where, how much bait they used etc so youve already got part of the picture in your head regarding what your fishing over bait wise etc. the owner/bailiff will help you as much as they can as they want you to catch fish, book up again next year and tell all your mates. the chances of that happening over here are pretty rare id imagine. but for me the fact that most french lakes have lots of big fish and they can eat tonnes of bait is why id take 40-50kg of boilies. my mates have fished on rainbow when the belgium angler alijn d'janau or whatever his name is was on there lol and got chatting with him and he said the biggest mistake alot of the english anglers make is their lack of bait. he said to them " you all bring 20-30kg of 18mm-20mm bolilies,, you all do the same, you need more", ok he is sponsored but he had 100kg of 10mm and my mates said he smashed it for the week they were there. and lets face it, a trip to france is not cheap and i want to make the most of it and not run out of bait half way through especially if the fish are having it big time. most lakes out there have freezers out there to keep bait frozen so what you dont use bring home and put it back in your own freezer( if you have one that is)