Rigs you are using now?

beza26

What is the rig you use in the majority of your fishing? What's it made up of? How does it present itself? What is it about the rig you use that makes you use it over anything else?

Be great if we could all add pictures of the rig your currently using so everyone can see, and we can see how different we all do things to each other.

Even better if someone ends up learning a thing or two they didn't know and end up using someone else's rig because it suits their fishing better!

I'll add mine when I get home :D

I plucked four from my rig box.

1st is suffix coated braid in 20lb, simple knotless knot , looks like a size 8 wide gape but will work with most hook patterns.

2nd is the suffix again , 2 inches stripped back tied to a rig ring with a uni knot, this simply goes down through the eye of the hook and the shrinktube holds it in place,making the hair adjustable in length.

The rig ring will pull down to the eye during the fight and was strong enough to land me a mid 20.

3rd, is a blowback combi rig using 15lb fluro , and stripped suffix for the hair, size 6 widegape.

4th is a hinged stiff rig tied with 15lb mouthtrap.

Obviously the first three are bottom rigs but could be made into wafter / popup rigs with slight adjustments.

I'd use all of these on silty areas but if fishing on gravel would swap to the fluro combi.

DSCN0289_zps32e04834.jpg

Combirig_zps2bf4e32c.png

I have being using the Combi-rig over the last 12 months, as my water is very weedy, I can chuck this into the weed using a 1oz flat pear lead and it sits nicely ontop of the weed as I use a snowman bait and a PVA nugget aswell.

I do usually fish onto the clear spots which this rig has done the job for me, but when there are fish in and on the weed, and you need to fish on the weed, as I said, this rig has done the job and put me fish on the bank. Plus catching a few PB's on this rig also last year gave me massive confidence in it.

I plucked four from my rig box.

1st is suffix coated braid in 20lb, simple knotless knot , looks like a size 8 wide gape but will work with most hook patterns.

2nd is the suffix again , 2 inches stripped back tied to a rig ring with a uni knot, this simply goes down through the eye of the hook and the shrinktube holds it in place,making the hair adjustable in length.

The rig ring will pull down to the eye during the fight and was strong enough to land me a mid 20.

3rd, is a blowback combi rig using 15lb fluro , and stripped suffix for the hair, size 6 widegape.

4th is a hinged stiff rig tied with 15lb mouthtrap.

Obviously the first three are bottom rigs but could be made into wafter / popup rigs with slight adjustments.

I'd use all of these on silty areas but if fishing on gravel would swap to the fluro combi.

DSCN0289_zps32e04834.jpg

What adjustments would you make to the first 3 to make them effective as pop up rigs?

and why would you swap to a fluro combi when fishing on gravel?

What adjustments would you make to the first 3 to make them effective as pop up rigs?

and why would you swap to a fluro combi when fishing on gravel?

Rig 1, Just by adding a shot to the hair could turn it into a popup rig,

random pic of the web but you get the idea,

dscf4195.jpg

Rig 2, i'd change the rig ring for a piece of silicone near the bend, then either the shot on the hair or below the hook eye so it sits cocked.

1.2.jpg

Rig 3, is the most versatile i feel, just floss a bait directly to the rig ring then alter the length so it sits tightish on the shank. (google claw pop up / images )

Why the combi on gravel? As ian has said it is virtually invisible and a coated braid may stand out a mile if your guessing at the colour of the bottom and get it wrong.

HTH jay

Rig im fishing with as i post this

B719F883-C40A-4C8D-B16C-3E4807F97A86_zpsnyltz0zu.jpg

There's a size 8 swivel just out the picture .

Iq2 with a very small bit of supernatural at the hookend including the hair which has a snowman presentation or a weighted down pop up on it .note the ridiculously angled shrink tube on the wide gape.

Fishing in silt at the moment and its worked well for me recently.[list=]

I deleted my previous post on this thread as I felt I had to quantify some of my comments:

What is the rig you use in the majority of your fishing? What's it made up of? How does it present itself? What is it about the rig you use that makes you use it over anything else?

Be great if we could all add pictures of the rig your currently using so everyone can see, and we can see how different we all do things to each other.

Even better if someone ends up learning a thing or two they didn't know and end up using someone else's rig because it suits their fishing better!

I'll add mine when I get home :D

I thought about it, I worked on it, and I came up with the same as I used however long ago I originally put this up, although I have changed the hook pattern. I use the same hook arrangement with a coated braid and a combi rig, although the only difference between the two is the choice of coated braid or combi:

SlidingPop-up.jpg

SlidingRevolvingHairrig.jpg

These rigs can be used for snowman, pop-up or bottom baits with little change.

The hair length on a pop-up is shortened, in fact the bait is tied in a loop and then attached to the rig ring tight to the hook shank. I then use the knot on the combi-rig or the end of the stripped section to attach putty to for the pop-up height.

With the snowman I put the bait in the loop and then tie the hair at the length I think is right, so that the bottom bait of the two will be on the hair.

As for a plain bog standard bottom bait, the hair is tied on with a standard loop and then hair stop is used to hold it in place.

The advantage of the rig ring is that I can change the hair length to suit my fishing, rather than break it all down to change it.

• 1 month later...

Rigs left to right....IQ2 combi link to merlin loop attached to the hook aka multi rig. Rig ring connected to an stiff fluro hair. Normally fished with a 14mm bottom and half a 10mm pop up.

Armalead kickback (does this still exist? Almost finished my last spool and need a replacement!) Straight through knotless knot.

Kryston merlin kd style on a covert mugga. On very clean bottoms only, shot on the hair pop up.

One of my Nazeing rigs from last January, I still use this on a free running lead, running on the mainline, with no tubing.

In fact, this rig I cut off one of my rods when changing the line:

NazeingRig_zps85bf7a7d.jpg

Mantis coated braid, stripped back, knotless knotted, and a hair with additional loop created for tied on pop-up, above standard bottom bait, a snowman presentation. The small piece of silicone on the shank means the hair leaves opposite the barb.

This very rig produced 4 carp without changing the rig or hook. If it's sharp and good enough, no need to change it

• 3 weeks later...

Who finds that they are very meticulous when it comes to a rigs "neatness" ?

Chance would be a fine thing phil :)

Arthritis mate . Some rigs , i even get my mate to tie as a result .

I would imagine that most people are as meticulous as they can be .

A confidence thing probably .

Sliding pop up rig short shanked wide gape beaked hook size 4 with pop up mounted on sliding rig ring on shank stopped with float stopnuzygara.jpg pop up on the left with cell boilie in situ - had 2 20's in the last two sessions.

Rig on the right is my bottom bait rig - blowback rig with long hair and size 4 curve shank patterned hook. Both rigs tied on short braided hooklinks with lead putty to ensure it sinks. Happy to use this with inline lead arrangements or helicopter rigs (most common as i use leadcore regularly and helicopter rig allows hooklink and lead/leader to part company. never use leadcore with inlines)- will fish snowman rigs with same set up. photo below shows position of hair/bait (hopefully!!) when blown back by feeding carp. ru4amy2y.jpg at least thats the plan...

I like a slightly longer hooklink to my bottom bait/snowman rigs, my speccie water all fish come out to pop ups (bottom covered in thick stinking silt which taints and trashes bottombaits to the point that they can sit there until the cows come home) so the sliding pop up rig is the one i use, on my "big" water 37acres, there are many big bream which demolish pop ups and single bottom baits so i started using snowmans and caught a double figure common within 30mins of trying, so a good start!

I have been known to reject rigs that look "untidy" or not as neat as i can get away with, i like a really subtle finnessed rig with small, neat rig componants. With bottom baits, i like a long hair. With pop ups i subscribe to the small pop up big hook approach, but it all has to be 100% perfect, putty, right swivel for the lead, right hooklink for the bottom substrate (how many anglers use the same hooklink regardless of the bottom fished over?) sharp hook etc the hardest part is to get the carp to pick up the bait in the first place, without losing it through complacency

:rolleyes:

These are some made up bottom bait rigs, I will also use the snake-bite for my pop up baits, but I used all them and have none made up, I will also put a bit of tubing on the snap swivel and a bit of fine shrink tube on the hook eye going an inch or so up the line, just to try and give a bit of cushion.